Astros C Jason Castro

GGajewski18

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
Based on the fact that they traded Santiago already, I'm going to bet that this coaching staff is very, very high on Quintana, and if this pitching coach says he can keep it up or get better...I wouldn't consider trading him for a catcher.

I'd agree with that assessment.

I really like the idea of trading one of Johnson or Quintana for Castro and then signing Tanka, Garza, or Santana.

Balances out the rotation a bit more and fills the backstop with a promising young hitter.

Brings more LH balance to the lineup too.

Gotta bye your ass Hanh is looking at all these angles.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 08:53 PM)
I would trade Quintana for Jason Castro without hesitation

I tend to agree with you. The pitching staff probably will suffer this year, but next year with Dunn of the books they should be able to relocate that money into a quality #2 or 3 starter.

Orrr they can just sign Tanaka.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
How is Castro defensively? I don't recall seeing anyone mention that part of his game.

Haven't read anything bad about his defense. 2009 report from B-A had him as the best defensive catcher in the Astros system. B-P has called him "Pretty great" (I think, I don't subscribe, but it showed up in my search results).

Only bad thing I read was the usual, "he should DH because he got hurt" mumbo jumbo.

Edited by scs787

Santiago and Quintana were 2 guys that basically fell into our lap. Since we sacrificed nothing to acquire these assets then anything that becomes of them is all bonus still. But then again, a main part of the reason we get noted for having pitching depth is due to Quintana's emergence and Santiago's to a lesser, more expendable extent.

If those two free lottery tickets turn into Adam Eatin and Castro then I'm fine with it as long as we sign Garza.

Now is the time to sell high on Quintana if using him to fill a positional need is the long term plan of RH.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
If we did do a Quintana for Castro swap which I doubt, I would hope we end up signing Jimenez or Garza. Assuming Tanaka is out of our price range.

I'm hoping Garza is an option whether the Sox keep Quintana or not.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
I didn't realize Castro is 26 already. That's not old and he's entering his prime but maybe Quintana should be used for a younger player. We shouldn't be trading younger players for older players even though 26 isn't that old.

With the current hole we have at the catcher position, I would most certainly deal Q for Castro..

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
I didn't realize Castro is 26 already. That's not old and he's entering his prime but maybe Quintana should be used for a younger player. We shouldn't be trading younger players for older players even though 26 isn't that old.

That comment was all kinds of contradictory. lol.

I'd still rather see Quintana for Castro and Altuve, rather than just straight up. I think Quintana has a ton of value that should warrant more than just 1 player who has only been good, albeit very good, for just 1 season. If they want De Aza for LF, fine. Make it Quintana + De Aza for Castro and Altuve.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 11:48 PM)
That comment was all kinds of contradictory. lol.

I'd still rather see Quintana for Castro and Altuve, rather than just straight up. I think Quintana has a ton of value that should warrant more than just 1 player who has only been good, albeit very good, for just 1 season. If they want De Aza for LF, fine. Make it Quintana + De Aza for Castro and Altuve.

I think in that scenario, it'd have to be Quintana, Beckham (stop gap and still kinda cheap option for a couple years until some of their really good MI prospects are MLB ready), and maybe a couple minor league arms like a Snodgrass type. I'd do that trade still.

I don't see them interested in De Aza for LF when they have a younger more upside version of him in Robbie Grossman. If anything, they'd probably be more interested in Dayan Viciedo and how his power would play with the Crawford Boxes.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
I think in that scenario, it'd have to be Quintana, Beckham (stop gap and still kinda cheap option for a couple years until some of their really good MI prospects are MLB ready), and maybe a couple minor league arms like a Snodgrass type. I'd do that trade still.

I don't see them interested in De Aza for LF when they have a younger more upside version of him in Robbie Grossman. If anything, they'd probably be more interested in Dayan Viciedo and how his power would play with the Crawford Boxes.

I'm not throwing Dayan in to that deal unless I'm getting George Springer back. lol. I'd definitely toss them Beckham and Snodgress, or just Carlos Sanchez.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
I'm not throwing Dayan in to that deal unless I'm getting George Springer back. lol. I'd definitely toss them Beckham and Snodgress, or just Carlos Sanchez.

I wasn't saying I would either, just throwing out names the Astros would probably be interested in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
I agree. The sox

Ha, not sure what happened. Meant to say that I don't believe the Sox are in a position to be trading away young resources like this in any form. They need to be stockpiling those. This is the kind of move you make when you are trying to put the team over the top, not to merely add a piece. Plus, I really don't like how high they'd be buying on Castro either.

I just don't think it makes sense.

This is why trading draft picks would be awesome. The Sox could offer their second rounder which is more like a supplemental first plus that signing slot and then add in some prospects & not have to deal Q.

Castro is going to be very expensive. I might be willing to pay the price for 2 main reasons 1) he's a catcher, 2) Hahn would be in a great position to attempt to buy out his arb years. If the Sox could get this guy say for 7 years at what would amount to an average annual salary of say $5M per or so then you're talking about not just a very good player who fits with what you are doing but potentially incredible payroll flexibility as well. I mean, if this guy were a FA right now what would he command? We could potentially buy out his arb years at well under 1/2 of what that figure would probably be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
If it's one for one no. If it's 4 for 1...

Unfortunately I don't see any single prospect on the farm that I'd trade Castro for. Houston would at least demand our 3 best guys, probably 4. And given the scarcity of young, high quality catchers who are cheap and under control, they would have no reason to settle for anything less than a haul.

Just look at what AJ brought back from the Giants for example. Look at what someone like Bedard brought back to the Orioles. In a sane world Castro should have higher value now than either of those guys did at the time they were dealt.

Would you gut the top end of your farm for him? I'd definitely consider it if doing so would mean trading guys who are likely 3+ years away anyway. This is the kind of move that would bring that contention window a lot closer. We're also probably in line for a top-12 or so pick next year even with Castro, so another high pick is probably coming after this season.

But then maybe you "just" trade Quintana. That makes it a lot harder to trade Danks if he rebuilds his value. We should probably be trying to extend Q.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
This is why trading draft picks would be awesome. The Sox could offer their second rounder which is more like a supplemental first plus that signing slot and then add in some prospects & not have to deal Q.

Castro is going to be very expensive. I might be willing to pay the price for 2 main reasons 1) he's a catcher, 2) Hahn would be in a great position to attempt to buy out his arb years. If the Sox could get this guy say for 7 years at what would amount to an average annual salary of say $5M per or so then you're talking about not just a very good player who fits with what you are doing but potentially incredible payroll flexibility as well. I mean, if this guy were a FA right now what would he command? We could potentially buy out his arb years at well under 1/2 of what that figure would probably be.

Good post. There are multiple reasons to want go after and acquire Castro. He is already an allstar, will be super cheap for awhile, is only 26 years old and would give are bad offense another new and improved bat to balance the lineup out. If I have to spend another year watching Flowers or Phegley attempt to hit mlb pitching, I may poke my eyes out.

Believe me, nobody is a bigger Q fan then me. Back in 2012 I was on this site raving about his skills when most of the posters on here thought his positive performance was just a "fluke". Listen, it would hurt to lose him, but one thing this organization does well is produce quality young pitching. With this years draft being pitching deep, and with guys like Johnson and Reinzo waiting in the wings, I feel we can afford to sacrifice one more arm for a tremendous bat. Another option for the rotation can be tapping into the FA market. You still have veterans like Santana, Garza and Arroyo available. Next year, Scherzer is unrestricted as well.

Edited by GreatScott82