Axe is back

Dick Allen

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly he is or should be closer to the 12th option than the 8th.

We got

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Johnson

4. Danks

5. Rienzo

6. Paulino

7. Surkamp

8. Chris Bassitt

Should all definitely get a shot above him. I would think Beck and Snodgress then too assuming they're ready. Then beyond then I'd rather see Leesman. So he's battling Zach Stewart way down there on my list.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)

We got

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Johnson

4. Danks

5. Rienzo

6. Paulino

7. Surkamp

8. Chris Bassitt

Should all definitely get a shot above him. I would think Beck and Snodgress then too assuming they're ready. Then beyond then I'd rather see Leesman. So he's battling Zach Stewart way down there on my list.

Paulino, at least to start the year, won't be available as he recovers from injury. Bassitt probably wouldn't get called up for a spot start or two over Axe since he is still in need of development. The beauty of Axe is that he ought to get you some innings and you don't give a s*** about his development -- getting hammered in the majors doesn't mean anything when it happens to him. And, as we know, under the right circumstances you'll get some chance to win.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)

We got

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Johnson

4. Danks

5. Rienzo

6. Paulino

7. Surkamp

8. Chris Bassitt

I think Beck, Snodgress, and maybe Bassitt will move ahead of Axe, but they aren't there today.

Stewart is right at that Axe level, though with his arm, he should be a major league pitcher. I think if you gave a rating out of 10, Axe is a 4, with a ceiling at 5. Stewart is a 4, but with a 7 or 8 ceiling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
I think Beck, Snodgress, and maybe Bassitt will move ahead of Axe, but they aren't there today.

Stewart is right at that Axe level, though with his arm, he should be a major league pitcher. I think if you gave a rating out of 10, Axe is a 4, with a ceiling at 5. Stewart is a 4, but with a 7 or 8 ceiling.

That kid is frustrating as heck to watch.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
That's not necessarily true at all. If we go into the season with Paulino on the DL and go with Sale-Quintana-Danks-EJ-Rienzo and Quintana's wife (hypothetical of course) has a baby on the same day Axelrod would start in AAA there's a very good shot Axe gets a one and done start. Anything can happen in a 162 game season and Axelrod is at the least a guy with MLB experience who the organization likes.

I think in this scenario I would give Surkamp a start to see what he can do or start someone on short rest. I cringe at the idea of watching another start from Axe. I just think Axe is only good for rotation depth at AAA and that's about it. I'd consider starting Southpaw over Axe.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
I think in this scenario I would give Surkamp a start to see what he can do or start someone on short rest. I cringe at the idea of watching another start from Axe. I just think Axe is only good for rotation depth at AAA and that's about it. I'd consider starting Southpaw over Axe.

Surkamp's minor and major league numbers are both very similar to Axelrod's.

Bassitt is well back on the list, he has half a season of AA under his belt and that's it.

The depth chart is likely:

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Johnson

4. Danks

5t. Surkamp

5t. Rienzo

5t. Paulino*** whenever he's healthy

8t. Axelrod

8t. Stewart

10. Oh dear lord the entire team was injured in a freak gasoline fight accident

Beck is the closest to ready of the real prospects, maybe Bassitt is behind him, but neither are major league ready and likely won't see the team in 2014.

Axelrod is fine as that guy for depth. With Paulino injured, he likely opens the season as the #7, moves up or down based on injuries and returns. Then as Beck, Bassitt and Snodgress progress, they may start passing him when they are close to major league ready.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
The Dylan Axelrod Experience is not necessarily over for White Sox fans.

As has been noted by some observers Axelrod has velocity issues and usually sits around 88 MPH or so. The Sox must see something in his ability even though I am not sure what that might be. My first impression is that Hank Aaron's HR mark might be in jeopardy but in this case it's one pitcher giving up that many.

I see the depth chart more like this

1- Sale

2- Quintana

3- Danks

4- Johnson

5- Surkamp

6- Rienzo

7- Paulino

8- f***ed

Start Southpaw, have a regular starter pitch with his non pitching arm, summon Navarro if you will but please, no more Axe or Stewart.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
Bassitt is well back on the list, he has half a season of AA under his belt and that's it.

He'll likely start at AAA, considering how strongly he finished. If he has a good three months, he'll be right there with Surkamp as a call-up consideration. What I'm saying is that there are a group of guys, likely Beck and maybe even Snodgress, who might be more likely than Axe to get a look come July, depending on performance in Apr-June. Axe is merely insurance against worst case scenarios, god willing.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
He only had 8 starts in AA. I'm sure they'll start him in Birmingham and if he continues to succeed they'll bump him up in June/July.

Plus 2 dominant starts in Southern League playoffs and an AFL appearance. I'll be surprised if he doesn't start in Charlotte. May depend on how he does in ST.

There's also a smaller chance he'll be among the group of Sox pitchers (that includes Hector, Boone Logan and Nate Jones in recent memory) who, to the surprise of everyone, make the team with little prior expectation. Not expecting this certainly.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
Call it 10 starts in AA. He pitched in the AFL in relief and if memory serves everything was strong except he was walking dudes at like a 1/IP clip. I like Bassit. He has succeeded every year in this organization and now has the semblance of a nice repertoire. I do think a move to AAA would be premature on the organization's part. This guy has just established himself as a starter and you're going to rush him through the system like that? Doesn't make sense to me.

They rush pitchers quite a bit and I can't recall it ever biting them in the butt - Hector and Nate never saw Charlotte, for instance. All depends on what the braintrust thinks of him in late March. He's 25 in February, I expect him to be "challenged".

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
Plus 2 dominant starts in Southern League playoffs and an AFL appearance. I'll be surprised if he doesn't start in Charlotte. May depend on how he does in ST.

There's also a smaller chance he'll be among the group of Sox pitchers (that includes Hector, Boone Logan and Nate Jones in recent memory) who, to the surprise of everyone, make the team with little prior expectation. Not expecting this certainly.

Is there going to be room at Charlotte?

By my count you are probably going to have Stewart and Axe, plus the loser between Surkamp and Rienzo. Once Paulino is healthy, that pushes the other one down in all probability. You also still have Charlie Leesman and Simon Castro in the mix. That also doesn't leave any room for someone like Snodgress (26 starts in 13 at AA)who should also be ahead of Bassitt (8 starts at AA in 13).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)

By my count you are probably going to have Stewart and Axe, plus the loser between Surkamp and Rienzo. Once Paulino is healthy, that pushes the other one down in all probability. You also still have Charlie Leesman and Simon Castro in the mix. That also doesn't leave any room for someone like Snodgress (26 starts in 13 at AA)who should also be ahead of Bassitt (8 starts at AA in 13).

Maybe the brass doesn't expect them all to be there to start the season. Surkamp, Rienzo, Leesman, Castro, Bassitt and/or Snodgress would all make nice pieces in a trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)

If Castro is there I'm guessing he's in the bullpen. Possibly Leesman as well if they think he could contribute as a reliever.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
I have always wondered why having someone around you hope you never have to use and if he's used he will most likely be terrible is considered "depth".

My definition of depth would only include useful players.

Being able to have your AAA team include guys who have been in AAA before, have had a stint in the show, maybe even have friends in the show, have heard suggestions from the major league pitching coach, and can help your AAA team actually win games and have a shot to go to the playoffs...all those are good things.