The Most Interesting Rebuilding Club in the AL

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CHALLENGE

#hewhoshallnotbenamed #hewhoshallnotbesigned

Ervin Santana or Voldemort?

Serious question, have you ever seen both of them in the same place? DIDN'T THINK SO.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CHALLENGE

#hewhoshallnotbenamed #hewhoshallnotbesigned

I know I know I know

Grady Sizemore and Ervin Santana(Ubaldo also can be accepted)

I would feel a lot better if Courtney Hawkins was back again as a legit prospect.

We can survive without him making it, but it's the same kind of blow (if he flops) that Borchard was.

It's not only one player failing...if you look at the Borchard situation, depriving the offense of a legit LH bat led to the eventual trade for Jim Thome (partially) and then later on down the line to Adam Dunn.

Or letting Thome go, and the decision to go with Kotsay/Jones, which then led to 2010 and the signing of Dunn.

Whatever happens, we have to be right as rain with that #3 pick this June, like we were with Chris Sale and not Beckham.

It is worth noting that Santiago was drafted in the 30th round, Reed in the 3rd, Peavy was a salary dump for the Padres and Quintana cost us only a waiver claim...and those three guys turned into Eaton/Davidson/Garcia, a nice ROI, to go along with Abreu and Sale. Finally, it would be nice if the Viciedo of 2012 or the last few months of 2013 showed up.

Edited by caulfield12

Really well written piece. Eventually Beckham will be traded for scraps and hopefully Ramirez gets moved to the likes of the pirates or reds during the trade deadline and Sanchez and Semien take over the middle infield while Anderson and Johnson continue to develop. I have faith Hahn will address the catching situation this trade deadline or next offseason. I think we spend a lot of money going after the likes of Rasmus in the offseason.

QUOTE (beautox @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
Really well written piece. Eventually Beckham will be traded for scraps and hopefully Ramirez gets moved to the likes of the pirates or reds during the trade deadline and Sanchez and Semien take over the middle infield while Anderson and Johnson continue to develop. I have faith Hahn will address the catching situation this trade deadline or next offseason. I think we spend a lot of money going after the likes of Rasmus in the offseason.

If Hawkins' season mirrors the 2nd half of 2013, then you can definitely see them throwing in the towel and buying an outfielder on the open market.

But an outfield of Hawkins, Garcia and Eaton would be extremely exciting.

Not quite ready to trust Rasmus yet. Would like to see him have a repeat of his 2012 success...and with that comes one of those $100+ million contracts that the White Sox have never given away, but contemplated with Tanaka (to go with the $68 million for Abreu). He didn't play under the media glare, in the heat of a pennant race last year. Would like to see how he handles the pressure of dealing with increased expectations and not flying under the radar.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
If Hawkins' season mirrors the 2nd half of 2013, then you can definitely see them throwing in the towel and buying an outfielder on the open market.

But an outfield of Hawkins, Garcia and Eaton would be extremely exciting.

Not quite ready to trust Rasmus yet. Would like to see him have a repeat of his 2012 success...and with that comes one of those $100+ million contracts that the White Sox have never given away, but contemplated with Tanaka (to go with the $68 million for Abreu). He didn't play under the media glare, in the heat of a pennant race last year. Would like to see how he handles the pressure of dealing with increased expectations and not flying under the radar.

"Extremely exciting" -- not just exciting, but extremely exciting. Just curious, what year are you talking about?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 08:33 PM)
"Extremely exciting" -- not just exciting, but extremely exciting. Just curious, what year are you talking about?

Mid 2015, being very aggressive.

I think Hawkins either explodes this season and we see him in 2015 or early 2016 or we never hear from again except from Buddy Bell testimonials/SoxFest/offseason puff pieces.

Everything clicks and he becomes a star or he strikes out 175 times and never gets past Birmingham.

I think you're forgetting how young Hawkins is. 2015 is his age 21 season. He's much more likely to get a cup of coffee in 2016 and really have a shot to stick in 2017. He could be there permanently for the first time in 2018 and still not be behind compared to average.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
I think you're forgetting how young Hawkins is. 2015 is his age 21 season. He's much more likely to get a cup of coffee in 2016 and really have a shot to stick in 2017. He could be there permanently for the first time in 2018 and still not be behind compared to average.

Yes, I know all of that.

We've been saying it about Trayce Thompson for 2-3 years and he's never really turned the corner to get to the other side.

He could "make" the major leagues somehow...eventually...in the same way that Jared Mitchell might end up getting AB's if we lose or trade Jordan Danks, but not as anything resembling a real or true impact player.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 12:23 AM)
Yes, I know all of that.

We've been saying it about Trayce Thompson for 2-3 years and he's never really turned the corner to get to the other side.

He could "make" the major leagues somehow...eventually...in the same way that Jared Mitchell might end up getting AB's if we lose or trade Jordan Danks, but not as anything resembling a real or true impact player.

Trayce still only just turned 23 a week ago. We've been talking about him forever but he's still not "old" for AA/AAA.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
And you still believe he will be a major league regular at any point?

I think this season is make or break for him and Mitchell. Ideally one really takes off this season and can possibly break camp next year. LF- Thompson/Mitchell CF- Eaton RF- Garcia with Tank as the DH/backup 1B/OF though I think it is more likely we go after Rasmus to play left (may cost too much though) but I think a Seth Smith or Ibanez are more likely on cheaper deals.

Mitchell's not going to be part of the rebuild. He MIGHT end up end up as a 4th/5th OFer as a favor to Buddy Bell.

Players like Smith or Ibanez would be okay as "glue" or complementary pieces, but not as starters.

Just like we've mentioned a veteran back-up for Flowers/Phegley would have helpful in their development. Instead, they seem to prefer to try to bring in younger competition in the form of Nieto.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
He MIGHT end up end up as a 4th/5th OFer as a favor to Buddy Bell.

What are you talking about? Are you seriously suggesting that Hahn would add a s***ty player to the roster as favor to the guy who oversees the system that failed to develop said player? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
What are you talking about? Are you seriously suggesting that Hahn would add a s***ty player to the roster as favor to the guy who oversees the system that failed to develop said player? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

If he was in any other organization, they'd already have given up on him.

I say this as one of his biggest fans from the time he played at LSU in the College World Series.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
If he was in any other organization, they'd already have given up on him.

I say this as one of his biggest fans from the time he played at LSU in the College World Series.

What reason do they have to give up on him? They still have options, he still has minor league service time, he's not blocking any prospects, and even as a busted prospect, he's apparently been a good influence on other young players.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
What reason do they have to give up on him? They still have options, he still has minor league service time, he's not blocking any prospects, and even as a busted prospect, he's apparently been a good influence on other young players.

Exactly. Just releasing a guy for the sake of releasing him, makes no sense.

The reason Mitchell is still around is because he was a first round pick. They spend money on him, they want to see it all the way through. We all know there is a better chance a "Give Adam Dunn a 4 year extension" thread is posted in the middle of May, and the consensus is everyone agrees with the thread starter, than Mitchell becoming a productive major league player.