Jose Quintana extened thru 2018 - 5 yrs, $21.5 or $26.5 mill

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
I'm stealing this for the twitter page.

Fine by me. It's amazing with what Hahn has done in one season on the job essentially. If Avi Garcia, Davidson and Eaton perform well too, we can expect more deals like this within the next two years.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Fine by me. It's amazing with what Hahn has done in one season on the job essentially. If Avi Garcia, Davidson and Eaton perform well too, we can expect more deals like this within the next two years.

As fathom stated regarding the Paddy and NMolina situation, if Keppinger is Hahn's biggest gaffe, I can (more than) live with that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 07:12 PM)
Hahn has gotten Sale and Quintana (at the time of both extensions) for 14 years (4 of which are options) worth a total of 107.5 million. Unbelievable.

Man, wrapping up a true ace and true #2 for roughly 15 million per year/avg. through the decade is crazy. That gives us a lot of ability to over allocate resources to other positions.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
Man, wrapping up a true ace and true #2 for roughly 15 million per year/avg. through the decade is crazy. That gives us a lot of ability to over allocate resources to other positions.

Especially when you consider Scherzer just turned down 6/144.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
If he's healthy at the end of this season he'll clear that easily and you know it.

He's had one great year and 2 really good ones. I don't know why you risk $24 million a year for 6 years at 29 years old for a great year.

6 years $144 million. How much more do you need? The risk far outweighs the reward IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
He's had one great year and 2 really good ones. I don't know why you risk $24 million a year for 6 years at 29 years old for a great year.

6 years $144 million. How much more do you need? The risk far outweighs the reward IMO.

A great question is how much do you think Scherzer would have gotten if he were on the FA market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
A great question is how much do you think Scherzer would have gotten if he were on the FA market.

No more than 5/125. I still think last year was a fluke and he'll return to his 11-11/3.80 ERA/3.75 run support this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)

If he hit FA right now I'd guess in the 7/$175 range. If he comes close to repeating last year's numbers we start talking $200 million next offseason.

One summary of why that contract is below-market

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)

Obviously a team would have overpaid for him, but to what extent, I have no idea. The thing is, for him to get what he turned down, he is going to have to be lights out again. Seems to me you are risking well over $100 million for maybe $20-30 million if everything went right. He would be the oldest pitcher to get one of those contracts if he gets one after this season. Who knows, maybe he hates it in Detroit.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
If he hit FA right now I'd guess in the 7/$175 range. If he comes close to repeating last year's numbers we start talking $200 million next offseason.

One summary of why that contract is below-market

If it comes into that lower range, that is a ton of risk, for not much more reward.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Obviously a team would have overpaid for him, but to what extent, I have no idea. The thing is, for him to get what he turned down, he is going to have to be lights out again. Seems to me you are risking well over $100 million for maybe $20-30 million if everything went right. He would be the oldest pitcher to get one of those contracts if he gets one after this season. Who knows, maybe he hates it in Detroit.

One other thing to remember is that his agent appears to be Scott Boras.

I'm thinking Scherzer is looking to get out of Detroit, someone will offer that contract and probably more, you sign it if you want to stay in Detroit for the next six years. Also Boras is his agent, so yeah, him signing before the power teams get a chance is unrealistic.

Haha

According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM, Max Scherzer wants an eight-year deal from the Tigers.

And the Tigers offered him six years at $144 million. The two sides have cut off talks and might not reopen them until the end of the 2014 season -- if at all. Scherzer deserves to cash in big after winning American League Cy Young Award honors last season. And he will cash in big if he repeats his numbers from 2013 and then hits the open market.

Source: Jim Bowden on Twitter Mar 24 - 2:54 PM

Also remember there are a limited number of teams that will shell out that kind of contract. With Greinke and Kershaw, would the Dodgers go there? Would the Yankees go there? Will the Red Sox? The Rangers? I doubt the Angels. Maybe the Cubs, but if Theo wouldn't go there with Tanaka, I doubt he goes there with a guy who would turn 31 during the season.

Obviously, it depends on how this season goes and teams needs, but I liken this to the Abreu situation which got the Sox a guy who if some other teams were involved, would have cost a lot more, I think Scherzer is making a mistake. Even if he isn't, I don't know how you walk away from a guaranteed $144 million.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Also remember there are a limited number of teams that will shell out that kind of contract. With Greinke and Kershaw, would the Dodgers go there? Would the Yankees go there? Will the Red Sox? The Rangers? I doubt the Angels. Maybe the Cubs, but if Theo wouldn't go there with Tanaka, I doubt he goes there with a guy who would turn 31 during the season.

Obviously, it depends on how this season goes and teams needs, but like the Abreu situation which got the Sox a guy who if some other teams were involved, would have cost a lot more, I think Scherzer is making a mistake. Even if he isn't, I don't know how you walk away from a guaranteed $144 million.

If Scherzer is thinking 8 years, he has to be thinking at least $200 million, if not closer to $250. I wonder if he gets it? If you are the Tigers, you can't bid against yourself anymore than that anyway.

Honestly if I was a young pitcher who is already successful I'm not sure I could pass down a team friendly deal in hopes of a huge FA payday. That is such a huge risk that a freak baseball to the elbow even will cut your value to nothing.