Trevor Cahill might be a pitcher to trade for

caulfield12

at mid-season or sooner if we can buy him on the cheap and the D-Backs go into sell-off mode.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/...odgers/7681701/

Would seem to be the perfect fit to "bridge" this rotation to the future one that features the #3 pick along with Sale/Quintana...sinkerballer's his best pitch, which would seem suited for USCF...and they're not locked into the contract after 2015 unless he performs well enough to earn his paycheck.

14:$7.7M, 15:$12M, 16:$13M club option ($0.3M buyout), 17:$13.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

2017 option increases by $0.5M to $14M with top 2 finish in Cy Young vote any year 2011-16

Cahill may void 2016-17 options if he is traded and finishes in top 2 in Cy Young vote any year 2011-16

That said...90% of it depends on what happens with Paulino, Johnson, Beck and the overall position we're in heading into June. I wouldn't want to give away anything of significance, just taking on the financial commitment...but there's obviously a decent-sized risk he wouldn't turn things around, too.

Edited by caulfield12

THere are still unsigned free agents.

Closers

Rafael Betancourt (39)

Kevin Gregg (36)

Joel Hanrahan (32)

Ryan Madson (33)

Right-Handed Relievers

Francisco Cordero (39)

Octavio Dotel (40)

Frank Francisco (34)

Cristhian Martinez (32)

Brett Myers (33)

Jon Rauch (35)

Left-Handed Relievers

Aaron Laffey (29)

Jose Mijares (29)

List from MLBtraderumors.com

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
THere are still unsigned free agents.

Closers

Rafael Betancourt (39)

Kevin Gregg (36)

Joel Hanrahan (32)

Ryan Madson (33)

Right-Handed Relievers

Francisco Cordero (39)

Octavio Dotel (40)

Frank Francisco (34)

Cristhian Martinez (32)

Brett Myers (33)

Jon Rauch (35)

Left-Handed Relievers

Aaron Laffey (29)

Jose Mijares (29)

List from MLBtraderumors.com

Mijares always killed us when he pitched for the Twins. That's weird, seeing him there.

Francisco, Dotel and Myers were all Sox property, along with Rauch most (in)famously.

Don't Betancourt, Hanrahan and Madson have injury issues? I'm pretty sure Madson does.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
at mid-season or sooner if we can buy him on the cheap and the D-Backs go into sell-off mode.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/...odgers/7681701/

Would seem to be the perfect fit to "bridge" this rotation to the future one that features the #3 pick along with Sale/Quintana...sinkerballer's his best pitch, which would seem suited for USCF...and they're not locked into the contract after 2015 unless he performs well enough to earn his paycheck.

14:$7.7M, 15:$12M, 16:$13M club option ($0.3M buyout), 17:$13.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

2017 option increases by $0.5M to $14M with top 2 finish in Cy Young vote any year 2011-16

Cahill may void 2016-17 options if he is traded and finishes in top 2 in Cy Young vote any year 2011-16

That said...90% of it depends on what happens with Paulino, Johnson, Beck and the overall position we're in heading into June. I wouldn't want to give away anything of significance, just taking on the financial commitment...but there's obviously a decent-sized risk he wouldn't turn things around, too.

Nice, a guy who can't get anyone out who's only owed $46.2 million. Where do I sign up?

We're not talking about giving up players with upside at this point, are we? I mean, I know we're 7-6 but we're not all of the sudden rolling in talent here. I'd rather roll with what we've got than make any trades at this point, unless we're talking about trading Alexei/De Aza.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
We're not talking about giving up players with upside at this point, are we? I mean, I know we're 7-6 but we're not all of the sudden rolling in talent here. I'd rather roll with what we've got than make any trades at this point, unless we're talking about trading Alexei/De Aza.

Yeah, I think that is the problem with this idea, no sense in trading anything of value at this point from the minors. The Sox need to continue to sell off major league pieces to build the farm system up in hopes of building a strong enough system where we can produce ML talent and have a surplus to acquire ML talent when the team is ready to compete. The offense is off to a promising start, but the wheels are going to come off at some point, there are just so many young guys in the lineup that it is bound to happen.

RH is doing the right thing in trading off veterans to create payroll flexibility, building up the minors through trades, strategic international spending, and the draft, and taking flyers on guys like Gillaspie, Paulino, Downs, Cleto, Boggs, Nieto and Guerra. Most of them will fail, but if one or two pans out you have some pretty good assets that you acquired for next to nothing. I am happy with where the Sox are at this point. The offense is a little ahead of schedule, the bullpen is a work in progress but the tools are there for success, and the starters are a pitcher away from being a really, really good staff.

I know that wild trade scenarios are the lifeblood of message boards, but there is absolutely no chance the Sox are "buyers" at the trade deadline. They are going to be "sellers", and that's only if Dunn, Beckham, and DeAza/Viciedo are productive between now and the end of June.

There have been a lot of good things so far this season, but Dunn having a .934 OPS may be the best of those good things.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Wow, a terrible move (Cahill's contract) by Towers that I hadn't even heard about.

Its really not that bad of a deal. He bought out Cahills arb years a year removed from his 138 ERA+ season as a 22 year old. Injuries have derailed his career, but this was not a bad move at the time.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
Cahill wouldn't be a bad guy to have. He's an extreme GB pitcher. With a good infield like he had in Oakland, he could be a very good pitcher.

Sooo, not with the Chicago White Sox :lol:

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
Our infield's not bad. Alexei's above average. Gillaspie's around average. Semien's decent.

I know errors aren't the best measure in the world, but 11 of our league-leading 13 errors have come from the infield.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
I know that wild trade scenarios are the lifeblood of message boards, but there is absolutely no chance the Sox are "buyers" at the trade deadline. They are going to be "sellers", and that's only if Dunn, Beckham, and DeAza/Viciedo are productive between now and the end of June.

There have been a lot of good things so far this season, but Dunn having a .934 OPS may be the best of those good things.

I completely agree with this. I think it will be a successful season if the Sox can acquire some talent for: Dunn, Ramirez, Beckham, De Aza, and some of the veteran bullpen guys.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
Our infield's not bad. Alexei's above average. Gillaspie's around average. Semien's decent.

You left out our 1b, and just to stress, Gillaspie was actually below average last year (although I will note a lot of that is due to his 3-error inning in August and complete defensive collapse in the surrounding weeks., and thus he might be able to do better than that this year with regular playing time.)

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
I'd rather sign Sweaty Freddy.

He's one of the free agent starters still out there. There are other's who, if desperate enough , could be signed as a reliever.

Freddy Garcia (37)

Jon Garland (34)

Jair Jurrjens (28)

Jeff Karstens (31)

Jason Marquis (35)

Jeff Niemann (31)

Clayton Richard (30)

Randy Wolf (37)

Barry Zito (36)

Again according to MLBtraderumors.com

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
He's one of the free agent starters still out there. There are other's who, if desperate enough , could be signed as a reliever.

Freddy Garcia (37)

Jon Garland (34)

Jair Jurrjens (28)

Jeff Karstens (31)

Jason Marquis (35)

Jeff Niemann (31)

Clayton Richard (30)

Randy Wolf (37)

Barry Zito (36)

Again according to MLBtraderumors.com

If it is soon, our next starting pitcher will be one of Surkamp, Axelrod, or maybe Hanson if they see something fixable. We aren't signing a free agent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
If it is soon, our next starting pitcher will be one of Surkamp, Axelrod, or maybe Hanson if they see something fixable. We aren't signing a free agent.

Unless somehow the Sox start looking like a contender and put pressure on Rick to do more than look at questionable options from within. Seriously, if they keep showing a knack for tenaciousness and winning, there will be added pressure to plug gaps.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
Unless somehow the Sox start looking like a contender and put pressure on Rick to do more than look at questionable options from within. Seriously, if they keep showing a knack for tenaciousness and winning, there will be added pressure to plug gaps.

Even if they overachieve this year, they need to realize that this isn't their year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
You left out our 1b, and just to stress, Gillaspie was actually below average last year (although I will note a lot of that is due to his 3-error inning in August and complete defensive collapse in the surrounding weeks., and thus he might be able to do better than that this year with regular playing time.)

Gillaspie was a -3 for UZR/150, which is around average. But even then, a one year sample doesn't really say a lot.

We aren't trading for starting pitching (or a major position player) in-season. Players cost a premium from June to July and it would be incredibly short-sighted to pay that price in what should be considered a long-shot season at best. We should be saving our resources for the offseason and positioning ourselves for a real playoff run in 2015. Honestly, while this offense will come back to Earth at some point, Eaton, Semien, & Abreu all seem legit. We may be closer to being competitive that a lot of us originally thought.