Trevor Cahill might be a pitcher to trade for

caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
We aren't trading for starting pitching (or a major position player) in-season. Players cost a premium from June to July and it would be incredibly short-sighted to pay that price in what should be considered a long-shot season at best. We should be saving our resources for the offseason and positioning ourselves for a real playoff run in 2015. Honestly, while this offense will come back to Earth at some point, Eaton, Semien, & Abreu all seem legit. We may be closer to being competitive that a lot of us originally thought.

If we had won the Tanaka sweepstakes , I imagine the bullpen would've looked different and we might actually have had a shot at contending this year.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
We're not talking about giving up players with upside at this point, are we? I mean, I know we're 7-6 but we're not all of the sudden rolling in talent here. I'd rather roll with what we've got than make any trades at this point, unless we're talking about trading Alexei/De Aza.

Dont worry, the Sox arent trading off talent for stop gap relievers.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Good luck selling that logic to fans if they're within a few games of 1st in July.

Depending on the situation, it might be worth re-evaluating in July, but this team should NOT sell top prospects in July unless they are getting a player that will be a White Sox in 4 or 5 years.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Good luck selling that logic to fans if they're within a few games of 1st in July.

The same fans that won't go anywhere near that ballpark? I'm fairly confident that we won't have to worry about them being close to 1st in July.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
at mid-season or sooner if we can buy him on the cheap and the D-Backs go into sell-off mode.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/...odgers/7681701/

Would seem to be the perfect fit to "bridge" this rotation to the future one that features the #3 pick along with Sale/Quintana...sinkerballer's his best pitch, which would seem suited for USCF...and they're not locked into the contract after 2015 unless he performs well enough to earn his paycheck.

14:$7.7M, 15:$12M, 16:$13M club option ($0.3M buyout), 17:$13.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

2017 option increases by $0.5M to $14M with top 2 finish in Cy Young vote any year 2011-16

Cahill may void 2016-17 options if he is traded and finishes in top 2 in Cy Young vote any year 2011-16

That said...90% of it depends on what happens with Paulino, Johnson, Beck and the overall position we're in heading into June. I wouldn't want to give away anything of significance, just taking on the financial commitment...but there's obviously a decent-sized risk he wouldn't turn things around, too.

No on Cahill

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
Depending on the situation, it might be worth re-evaluating in July, but this team should NOT sell top prospects in July unless they are getting a player that will be a White Sox in 4 or 5 years.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I'm just saying if it means signing a guy like Freddy (1 mil) to remain competetive then do it. I agree, they should not be trading any prospects to make a run for it should they have some sort of fairytale season going on in July.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
Sorry, I should've been clearer. I'm just saying if it means signing a guy like Freddy (1 mil) to remain competetive then do it. I agree, they should not be trading any prospects to make a run for it should they have some sort of fairytale season going on in July.

The guys who are free agents aren't any different than the guys they already have here. They are unemployed for good reason.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
Nice, a guy who can't get anyone out who's only owed $46.2 million. Where do I sign up?

$20 million.....those are CLUB options. If he pitches close to his ability/contract, then they would have him through the playoff contention window at a lesser rate (overall) than say, Jimenez, Garza or what they're paying Santana for one season in ATL.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
We aren't trading for starting pitching (or a major position player) in-season. Players cost a premium from June to July and it would be incredibly short-sighted to pay that price in what should be considered a long-shot season at best. We should be saving our resources for the offseason and positioning ourselves for a real playoff run in 2015. Honestly, while this offense will come back to Earth at some point, Eaton, Semien, & Abreu all seem legit. We may be closer to being competitive that a lot of us originally thought.

See 2000. Or 2008, if Abreu's a Top Five MVP pick, ala Quentin.

Now there's a difference between Ordonez/Lee/Thomas/Konerko/Durham/Valentin, etc., and some of the offensive talent that we have...we're not THAT loaded with firepower by any stretch of the imagination...but it's not beyond the realm of possibility, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
He's one of the free agent starters still out there. There are other's who, if desperate enough , could be signed as a reliever.

Freddy Garcia (37)

Jon Garland (34)

Jair Jurrjens (28)

Jeff Karstens (31)

Jason Marquis (35)

Jeff Niemann (31)

Clayton Richard (30)

Randy Wolf (37)

Barry Zito (36)

Again according to MLBtraderumors.com

Wolf was recently signed to a minor league deal.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
He's one of the free agent starters still out there. There are other's who, if desperate enough , could be signed as a reliever.

Freddy Garcia (37)

Jon Garland (34)

Jair Jurrjens (28)

Jeff Karstens (31)

Jason Marquis (35)

Jeff Niemann (31)

Clayton Richard (30)

Randy Wolf (37)

Barry Zito (36)

Again according to MLBtraderumors.com

What the hell happened to Jair Jurrjens? If he isn't hurt for the year he would be nice to bring in..

I actually would rather have most of those guys instead of Paulino

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
What would you do to go back to this era Caulfield?

Alas...the pitching wasn't there as the season ended, but that was one of my favorite teams to watch, especially after the brawl with the Tigers in late April. If you throw in Milkman Perry and eventually Charles Johnson at the end of the year, that team was loaded with 20+ homer guys up and down the line-up, other than Durham, who also had pop in his own right in terms of XB hits.

That and watching all the youngsters in the late 80's all starting to play to their capabilities and challenging the A's in the last season of Old Comiskey.

Finally, 2008 was also a lot of fun until the Quentin hamate injury.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
What the hell happened to Jair Jurrjens? If he isn't hurt for the year he would be nice to bring in..

Something's very wrong with him. His velocity dropped drastically. He's cooked.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)

Shoulder injury and torn meniscus in his knee, both of which he never really recovered from.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Something's very wrong with him. His velocity dropped drastically. He's cooked.
We have little chance of getting a major league ready pitcher worth anything from a trade. I think we need to take someone that has pitched well previously. Maybe someone that Coop can fix or try to fix. I don't know if should be in teal. Zambrano.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 07:16 AM)
THere are still unsigned free agents.

Closers

Rafael Betancourt (39)

Kevin Gregg (36)

Joel Hanrahan (32)

Ryan Madson (33)

Right-Handed Relievers

Francisco Cordero (39)

Octavio Dotel (40)

Frank Francisco (34)

Cristhian Martinez (32)

Brett Myers (33)