Adam Dunn appears to be back!

sin city sox fan

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 24, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
They are still in it at 25-25. Of course, last year, they were 24-24 at this point and we know how far south that went.

And you still know how ridiculous that argument is so you should probably stop making it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
859 vs. 908 OPS

The problem is that the return from Avisail Garcia and DeAza is not producing much of anything at the moment, so it's a net wash (this season).

Garcia got hurt. Would you rather the Sox have $14 mill committed to Jake Peavy's 4.65 ERA?

Except that's not exactly the whole story.

It's not like we traded Alex Rios in order to sign Jose Abreu.

We needed to get younger and more cost-controlled.

It's like saying we traded Rios to bring back Lindstrom and pay for Downs, Paulino and Keppinger. You can twist it around any way you would like, right?

Now if we spent $150-175 on Tanaka, then you could have me convinced that trading Rios was absolutely imperative to make it work.

We also shed Santos, Peavy's deal, AJ's deal, Konerko's deal, let Buehrle go, Crain and Floyd, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

It's like saying we traded Rios to bring back Lindstrom and pay for Downs, Paulino and Keppinger. You can twist it around any way you would like, right?

Now if we spent $150-175 on Tanaka, then you could have me convinced that trading Rios was absolutely imperative to make it work.

We also shed Santos, Peavy's deal, AJ's deal, Konerko's deal, let Buehrle go, Crain and Floyd, etc.

I'm fairly certain that Abreu and Tanaka were on the radar when the Sox started shedding salary.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)

Actually the whole idea was to free up cash to make for flexibility, so even if they didn't have Abreu specifically in mind, they had a guy like Abreu in mind.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)

So shedding $26 million in salary and signing a 27 year old power hitting 1B to a 6 year contract at a lesser AAV is...?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
So shedding $26 million in salary and signing a 27 year old power hitting 1B to a 6 year contract at a lesser AAV is...?

The problem is there's no Tanaka the next off-season. Most of the available pitching moves are "win now" mode, especially if we select Kolek or Aiken.

The Cubs are learning the same lesson...just because they'll have money to spend doesn't mean they can find the right player to spend it on.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
The problem is there's no Tanaka the next off-season. Most of the available pitching moves are "win now" mode, especially if we select Kolek or Aiken.

The Cubs are learning the same lesson...just because they'll have money to spend doesn't mean they can find the right player to spend it on.

Did you know Tanaka or Abreu were going to be free agents in May last year?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)

I looked it up, Abreu defected in August, and it seems like to me that everyone knew this was Tanaka's year to come to the states, the only fight was over the change in posting fees for the Japanese league clouding it up a bit. But that happened after the season had ended, so it is immaterial. The buzz on him had been going long before the trade deadline.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)

Speaking of which, can you imagine how good Tanaka would look wedged between Sale and Quintana? Talk about a core to move forward with... Man, I'm still bummed he signed with the Yankees. :(

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 28, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Speaking of which, can you imagine how good Tanaka would look wedged between Sale and Quintana? Talk about a core to move forward with... Man, I'm still bummed he signed with the Yankees. :(

To some extent, I am too, but talk about immediate buyer's remorse.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
That contract scares the s*** out of me. I was nervous about a five, or more, year deal anyway. Seven years is f***ing scary.

It's the opt out that makes it a disaster. Basically, the ONLY way it goes to seven years if if he sucks or is hurt. Otherwise they have to give him more to keep him. Crazy bad contract, ESPECIALLY before he threw a pitch in the MLB.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 28, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
It's the opt out that makes it a disaster. Basically, the ONLY way it goes to seven years if if he sucks or is hurt. Otherwise they have to give him more to keep him. Crazy bad contract, ESPECIALLY before he threw a pitch in the MLB.

The other side of that is that if he's good and opts out, the Yankees are completely out of the remainder of his deal, which is the more frightening part. The key for them isn't just to automatically give in the way they did with ARod and CC, they would need to take the blinders off and actually evaluate the situation appropriately like the other 29 teams in baseball would. That opt-out could end up a godsend for NY for all we know.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 12:13 AM)
My official stance has changed. There is at least a chance he's back for 2-3 years.

Interesting.

I take it they're going to try to sell Viciedo while his value is high? I figured Viciedo has DH written all over himself in 2015.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
For Ricky Bobby, I mean Adam Dunn you go 4 years $30 mil Year 1 -$9/$8/$7/$6. Decent protection for Abreu.

Shake & Bake!!

Too much cash. He should get 4 mill a year max for 2-3 years and I kick myself for even going that high. Otherwise let him walk. Nobody's going to pay this guy. What did AJP get this year? No way 9 mill for Dunn.