Adam Dunn appears to be back!

sin city sox fan

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
It's still April, and there's no guarantee that Dunn keeps this up all season, but in the hypothetical scenario where he actually puts up a .240/.420/.500 season, then why would you not take him back on a 1-year/$14M deal? It's hard to get guys his age on 1-year deals because they're generally looking to get 3-4 years to cover their decline.

Even so, I don't think if Dunn is hitting .240/.420/.500 in July that he will still be here. He will have very good trade value and despite the nice start, I still think it's unlikely the Sox are in serious contention in July. Too many bullpen issues, and too many hitters (Ramirez, Flowers) that are destined to come back to earth at some point.

If Dunn puts up a .920 OPS this year, what would you think he's more likely to do next year, repeat this year's numbers or fall back into the moat of sub .800 OPS's we've seen the last 2 years?

Even if you think it's 50/50, that doesn't seem like a very good way to risk $14 million IMO, when the DH slot ought to be fillable for a lot less than that.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
You wouldn't because you would be paying him to do it again next year and that is very doubtful at this point. Dunn isn't very good, but he doesn't deserve the hate and boos he has received. He seems to be a good guy, a good teammate and certainly is one of the few White Sox who has run everything out the past 3 years. It's not like he isn't trying. That said, there is no scenerio, even if he keeps this up, do I think the Sox would give him a QO, and there is no way he keeps this up. His OPS is almost 1.100. Soxtalk has removed him from the dead weight list. He is doing exactly what the best case scenerio for him would be. Hopefully, he hits like he did the middle 4 months of last year for the entire season. He'll help win more games, but I'm sure, unless he has his best season with the White Sox, and is willing to play for peanuts next year, he's done with the team at the end of this season at the latest.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
Im not talking about tarring and feathering Dunn on the way out, I just in no way shape or form would be willing to negotiate a deal with him.

Wite, on the other hand, is ready to make him Player-Manager with a blank check

Yeah, 6 years, $72 million seems to be cutting him short. 7 years, $160 million?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
No way the Sox make him a QO. He would accept that in a second as no other team would come close to giving him that kind of money and if he rejected, no team would sign him because of the draft pick compensation.

If he accepts, you are in the same situation you were entering this season, you can trade him either at the winter meetings or at the deadline. The money is there to bring him back, and its not like there is anyone in the minors that is knocking down the door to step in at DH next season. There is some risk, and the possibility of some reward. It allows you to only keep him for a season and then have that money come off the books when there may be a better crop of FA's to use the money to sign.

Haha ok is know this whole thread should be green, but for real if Dunn puts up a .900+ OPS ALL YEAR, 2/3rds of you guys will be singing a very different tune. OF COURSE you give him a QO if he does that consistently in 2014, are you guys for real? I don't think he will, and I think and hope he'll be traded, but come on now...

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
Haha ok is know this whole thread should be green, but for real if Dunn puts up a .900+ OPS ALL YEAR, 2/3rds of you guys will be singing a very different tune. OF COURSE you give him a QO if he does that consistently in 2014, are you guys for real? I don't think he will, and I think and hope he'll be traded, but come on now...

No.

No, man.

s***, no, man.

I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Yeah, sure, offer him a 1 year/$7M deal. If he accepts that, then fine.

I think even if he puts up a good year this year (.850 OPS+), that's about where his market is going to be. I think he'll probably be able to find a 2 or 3 year deal, but I can't imagine any team giving him more than a $7 million/year average based on his recent history.

His small sample size slashline of .294/.468/.618 was my dream when we signed him, but not sustainable now. However, I think he'll settle in at .240/.375/.530ish and net a prospect or two at the deadline for a power hungry club. Glad he is shutting up the off-season haters.

Last the MLB Network guys were praising Dunn. He seems to be seeing he ball real good and working the count. One even said he always though the Big Donkey could hit .300 if he wanted too. But, folks are sourced on Adam and he made a lot of money to struggle and strike out a lot. But, if his approach as changed I think we might see the 40 homers and 100 RBI's with a pretty decent average and lots of walks. That is hard to replace for sure. But, I don't know if Dunn wants to play past 2014 and I certainly don't think the Sox will pay $14 plus million for sure to keep him around. You can't make signing decisions this early anyway but I have a feeling this will be an interesting season.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
There are 14 players in the AL with OBPs over .400. We have three of them including the top two. LOL. Who would have thunk it?

All hail Todd Steverson!

If Todd, Robin, Hahn, and the rest of the organization really think that Todd has "gotten through" to him and they see him being able to sustain 75% of this then I'd have absolutely no problem with them resigning him for another year or 2. I'd certainly put him on the block at the deadline though. If they get a good deal I'd trade him. If not give him that 1-2 year deal and hope to prove to teams that he's for real.

My whole thing with post-2011 Dunn is this. He takes the shape of whatever team he's on. We got good Dunn in 2012 because there was some semblance of a lineup around him. If there is no reason to give Dunn hittable pitching...if Dunn is coming up to empty bases every time and has no one behind of him of any worth... then he has no ability to do his pitch-taking-then-kill-you approach.

No one wants to hear that you throw out '13. But honestly in baseball once a team goes bad early.... you basically have guys just taking their cuts and making offseason plans. Dunn on a team in contention is what I want to see, and i dont expect early career Dunn....but I do expect better at-bats as a result of better offense around him.

Just like i didnt go overboard on hate with Greg Walker, i dont credit Steverson for what's going on right now with Dunn. This is the usual Adam, but just with new circumstances. He can make a pitcher sweat some now, and force that pitcher's hand...which was not the case last year. Last year we were ready to close up shop and get home (as a team).

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
No but he should net a decent prospect or two at the deadline. That is a better outcome then we could've hoped for at the start of the season.

This lets just hope he continues to look like the Dunn of old and we don't have to send 7.5M with him at the deadline to receive a prospect. Sox need to target someone like Victor Martinez in the offseason for DH because unlike the rest of the crop he could occasionally be used as a 3rd catcher and 1B which would give us some more positional flexibility. Also have others have stated on the board past their "prime" vets should continue to be the "new market inefficiency".