Adam Dunn appears to be back!

sin city sox fan

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
This lets just hope he continues to look like the Dunn of old and we don't have to send 7.5M with him at the deadline to receive a prospect. Sox need to target someone like Victor Martinez in the offseason for DH because unlike the rest of the crop he could occasionally be used as a 3rd catcher and 1B which would give us some more positional flexibility. Also have others have stated on the board past their "prime" vets should continue to be the "new market inefficiency".

I wouldn't seek out anyone to be a full time DH, especially an injury prone, fat, old guy like Martinez.

Here's where some people are not being .........logically consistent.

A major gripe people had with Ozzie is that he chose Kotsay over a $3M Jim Thome, who was going to be a bat-only 39 year old. His 2009 season in total was an .847 OPS

Adam Dunn right now is 34, and if you look at this season and the past two, he has a .790 OPS.

So if you wanted to sign a 39 year old Thome for 1 yr/3M, then how does that modest amount of OPS difference translate to not wanting to keep Dunn for 1.5M, or as one poster put it "wouldnt give him cabfare to the airport"

Aside from perfectly rational comments like "not a fit on this team" or "wouldnt want a thome type right now to begin with".........the only reason I can think of for these inconsistencies is obssessive irrational fandom, and the use of sports as an anger depot.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Here's where some people are not being .........logically consistent.

A major gripe people had with Ozzie is that he chose Kotsay over a $3M Jim Thome, who was going to be a bat-only 39 year old. His 2009 season in total was an .847 OPS

Adam Dunn right now is 34, and if you look at this season and the past two, he has a .790 OPS.

So if you wanted to sign a 39 year old Thome for 1 yr/3M, then how does that modest amount of OPS difference translate to not wanting to keep Dunn for 1.5M, or as one poster put it "wouldnt give him cabfare to the airport"

Aside from perfectly rational comments like "not a fit on this team" or "wouldnt want a thome type right now to begin with".........the only reason I can think of for these inconsistencies is obssessive irrational fandom, and the use of sports as an anger depot.

To actually be serious, I think that Dunn has left a bad taste in the mouth of Sox fans and wiping themselves clean from him would be best for both parties. If they brought him back at $2-3 mill on a 1 year deal to be one half of a RHP DH platoon, I wouldn't complain, but I don't know if Dunn wants that at this point in his career.

Understood. And I fully agree. I think that things that leave a bad taste in certain GMs mouths are the kinds of things that Billy Beane exploited and then they began writing books about his ability to do these things.

Couple mil for a 800 OPS kind of guy is absolutely something i would swoop in and grab (obviously though it would remain to be seen if Dunn would even want to do it)

I would get all past issues i have out of the way. would consult a team of psychologists to soothe me and get me all fixed up, and then sign Dunn.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
To actually be serious, I think that Dunn has left a bad taste in the mouth of Sox fans and wiping themselves clean from him would be best for both parties. If they brought him back at $2-3 mill on a 1 year deal to be one half of a RHP DH platoon, I wouldn't complain, but I don't know if Dunn wants that at this point in his career.

I think he might retire. He's made his money and he doesn't seem like a guy that wants to push his body well into his mid and late 30s. Not that he doesn't take care of himself but he has had some injuries in the past that could turn into chronic problems in middle age if he continues to push himself.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
Understood. And I fully agree. I think that things that leave a bad taste in certain GMs mouths are the kinds of things that Billy Beane exploited and then they began writing books about his ability to do these things.

Couple mil for a 800 OPS kind of guy is absolutely something i would swoop in and grab (obviously though it would remain to be seen if Dunn would even want to do it)

I would get all past issues i have out of the way. would consult a team of psychologists to soothe me and get me all fixed up, and then sign Dunn.

I agree 100% with this.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
I think he might retire. He's made his money and he doesn't seem like a guy that wants to push his body well into his mid and late 30s. Not that he doesn't take care of himself but he has had some injuries in the past that could turn into chronic problems in middle age if he continues to push himself.

He's maintained throughout his tenuous stay with the Sox that if the game ever stopped being fun for him, he'd hang it up. Maybe that's after this year, maybe it's 4 years from now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)

Isn't it more important what his teammates think of him?

Do we think the fans would be easier on him if he was making, say, 2/$12 rather than the 4/$60 or whatever his contract currently is?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
Dunn's current production? He's playing himself into what will be roughly a 4 year..mmm...56M deal. Roughly

What GM would risk that with his fanbase? One year 2 million is about right if his career must go on.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
His small sample size slashline of .294/.468/.618 was my dream when we signed him, but not sustainable now. However, I think he'll settle in at .240/.375/.530ish and net a prospect or two at the deadline for a power hungry club. Glad he is shutting up the off-season haters.

Shutting up the haters? You don't think Adam Dunn has done enough bad things in the batters box for Sox fans to "hate" him forever?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)

He'll likely be sitting on 470ish home runs after this year. It would surprise me a great deal if he retires.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)

Who cares what fans think?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Isn't it more important what his teammates think of him?

Do we think the fans would be easier on him if he was making, say, 2/$12 rather than the 4/$60 or whatever his contract currently is?

I imagine they would be easier on him if he were on a smaller contract, but fans can be quite fair-weathered. If he can be brought back cheaply, I wouldn't mind, but your average Joe could very well get up in arms about it.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Who cares what fans think?

The front office, hopefully. I'm not saying the front office listens to everything the fans say - that'd be the worst possible thing - but if you absolutely do not care what the fans think of you, then you begin bringing in people that the fans do not want to see.

This is all dependent upon Dunn actually wanting to come back. He may not want to.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
What GM would risk that with his fanbase? One year 2 million is about right if his career must go on.

Shutting up the haters? You don't think Adam Dunn has done enough bad things in the batters box for Sox fans to "hate" him forever?

Hating him forever? Why do people "hate" him at all? So ridiculous. Plenty of other people in the world to hate other than a baseball player that has given his all and been a good teammate. Greg you bend over backwards to defend PK who hasn't even had as good of a career as Dunn has. Stop posting for awhile champ, you are embarrassing yourself.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
Hating him forever? Why do people "hate" him at all? So ridiculous. Plenty of other people in the world to hate other than a baseball player that has given his all and been a good teammate. Greg you bend over backwards to defend PK who hasn't even had as good of a career as Dunn has. Stop posting for awhile champ, you are embarrassing yourself.

I don't 'hate' him, but I do hate watching him becaue he was a horrible terrible pile of garbage that I had to endure in order to watch the rest of the team. And he was advertised to be the exact opposite. I don't feel guilty for feeling lied to.

QUOTE (MAX @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
I don't 'hate' him, but I do hate watching him becaue he was a horrible terrible pile of garbage that I had to endure in order to watch the rest of the team. And he was advertised to be the exact opposite. I don't feel guilty for feeling lied to.

How in the crap were you in any way lied to? And by whom? He was bad. There was every expectation that he would be good, and reasonably so. Since when is it up to everyone else to spoon feed you promises about what a player is going to do? You can make those projections for yourself. If you're gonna claim you saw his failure coming, then good for you, maybe you're smarter than the rest of everybody. But if you didn't think he would fail, then you were just wrong, not lied to. Besides, a projection is just a projection, not a promise no matter who's delivering it.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
How in the crap were you in any way lied to? And by whom? He was bad. There was every expectation that he would be good, and reasonably so. Since when is it up to everyone else to spoon feed you promises about what a player is going to do? You can make those projections for yourself. If you're gonna claim you saw his failure coming, then good for you, maybe you're smarter than the rest of everybody. But if you didn't think he would fail, then you were just wrong, not lied to. Besides, a projection is just a projection, not a promise no matter who's delivering it.

Semantics don't interest me. I agree with what you said, but don't care much about how I said what I did. He was advertised as a slugger that would improve the team. He hurt it badly.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
Semantics don't interest me. I agree with what you said, but don't care much about how I said what I did. He was advertised as a slugger that would improve the team. He hurt it badly.

Aha. Well if it's a semantics issue, then I don't care either. Good chat :D

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)

Konerko has had a much better career than Dunn. Is that even up for debate?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 12:54 AM)
Konerko has had a much better career than Dunn. Is that even up for debate?

Paulie is my favorite player of all time and it actually is a possible debate.

I pick Paulie, but it's close.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 01:28 AM)
It appears that Adam is back and will be a key component to our playoff push in 2014. I'm wondering if we should negotiate a new deal now before he posts a 35 HR / 100 RBI season and drives his asking rate through the roof.

Yes we should negotiate a deal - deal him to the team that offers us the most young talent for him.