SOXTALK.COM WAS DOWN FOREVER!

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Surkamp and Rienzo are closer to prospects, IMO, than just organization filler.

I would agree with that. They've both shown that their ceiling may be lower than originally envisioned, but they are still developing and still at an age that they should be considered prospects. I still think Rienzo makes it to the MLB either as a 4-5 starter or in the bullpen.

Webb walked a guy and let up a run in his first inning last night so it probably wouldn't have mattered but he's our best reliever and needs to be used in the 8th or 9th when we have 1 or 2 run leads. Like I said, it probably wouldn't have mattered last night but there's no freaking reason he shouldn't be getting an inning to himself at the back end of a close game.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 3h

In the Paulino/Leury Garcia 14th inning call, Paulino is scheduled to start Friday. If he pitched Wed, that wouldn't have happened

The White Sox would have had to call up a starter basically for one game on Friday in Texas.

With no off-days coming up, there was no way to re-align the rotation if Paulino pitched

As it was, Webb went 3 and Lindstrom went 2 in the loss last night/this morning

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Webb was a starter in the minors for quite a while. I can't imagine this is something his arm isn't used to.

The last time Webb started consistently was 2011.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
The last time Webb started consistently was 2011.

He also started a few games in 2012 and averaged 2 inning an appearance. On top of that, he threw 62.1 innings last year in 42 relief appearances. Going multiple innings is nothing new to him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
I didn't know Leury Garcia pitched last night. How is his stuff?

He hit 88 and got a few off-speed pitches over. He actually got the first two guys out. Then the Boston hitters got smart and figured out he couldn't really throw strikes.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
I didn't know Leury Garcia pitched last night. How is his stuff?

Ton of movement on the change-up (77mph), decent movement on his two seamer (88mph).

Completely, totally wild though. It was just luck if it landed in the strikezone.

I am always amazed that whenever a position player comes into pitch, they almost never get rocked. The often pitch scoreless innings, maybe a run or two, but rarely give up a crooked number. Why is that? Is it just hard for batters to adjust on the fly to a non-pitcher?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
I am always amazed that whenever a position player comes into pitch, they almost never get rocked. The often pitch scoreless innings, maybe a run or two, but rarely give up a crooked number. Why is that? Is it just hard for batters to adjust on the fly to a non-pitcher?

A lot of hitters completely overthinking things if I had to guess.

I actually APPROVE of the way Robin used the bullpen yesterday. It was about time he sent a message to the bullpen about throwing strikes, so he pulled people whenever they walked someone even if that was early. The fact that he burned through the entire bullpen that way just indicates that everyone in our bullpen is god awful right now. I also don't think he needed to use Webb right away. Everyone needs to pull their weight in high leverage situations at some point. SOMEONE besides Webb should be able to do it. You have to try at some point.

That was 100% on the bullpen's inability to throw strikes. If you wanna throw stones, throw them at Hahn or Coop for this one, IMO.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
I actually APPROVE of the way Robin used the bullpen yesterday. It was about time he sent a message to the bullpen about throwing strikes, so he pulled people whenever they walked someone even if that was early. The fact that he burned through the entire bullpen that way just indicates that everyone in our bullpen is god awful right now. I also don't think he needed to use Webb right away. Everyone needs to pull their weight in high leverage situations at some point. SOMEONE besides Webb should be able to do it. You have to try at some point.

That was 100% on the bullpen's inability to throw strikes. If you wanna throw stones, throw them at Hahn or Coop for this one, IMO.

He didn't do that with Cleto.

I'm not sure why Lindstrom didn't start off the 9th.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 3h

In the Paulino/Leury Garcia 14th inning call, Paulino is scheduled to start Friday. If he pitched Wed, that wouldn't have happened

The White Sox would have had to call up a starter basically for one game on Friday in Texas.

With no off-days coming up, there was no way to re-align the rotation if Paulino pitched

As it was, Webb went 3 and Lindstrom went 2 in the loss last night/this morning

At least, if they had put Paulino in, the game would have been over fairly quickly...

One thing that killed the Sox last night was the inability to turn double plays in the 8th and 11th. Gillaspie lobbing the ball to Semien instead of leading him prevented the Sox from keeping a 3-1 lead in the 8th, and then not being able to turn the DP on Ortiz in the 11th seemed strange.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
One thing that killed the Sox last night was the inability to turn double plays in the 8th and 11th. Gillaspie lobbing the ball to Semien instead of leading him prevented the Sox from keeping a 3-1 lead in the 8th, and then not being able to turn the DP on Ortiz in the 11th seemed strange.

...and the opportunity to tack on a run or two in spots...so many reasons, but it still comes down to BB's. But I have to say, I love this team's fight. f***ing Flowers, that was clutch!!