Odds on Paulino?

hi8is

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 06:36 AM)
It boggled my mind then, it boggles my mind now, how anyone could have thought this guy was going to be effective was beyond me. He made 5 minor league starts last year and they were very similar to his results this season. He was still coming off a serious injury and was going to be rusty any way you slice it. Finally, he wasn't very good to begin with.

A lot of the metrics on Paulino showed potential if I recall so, at a low risk, Hahn was probably also intrigued.

My guess is that they put him on the DL for some 'tbd' injury. He won't make another start for the White Sox at least for the next month.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
I didn't have a problem with the signing per se, it just some of the expectations on this board. Not only did they expect him to be good after basically missing a year, many thought he would be better than he has ever been.

I don't remember anyone saying he WOULD be good. I remember a lot saying he COULD be good, and that it was a low risk, high reward type of contract.

Dan Hayes thinks its Carroll or Leesman

Were the White Sox to place him on the DL, the team’s best options at Triple-A Charlotte are Scott Carroll and Charlie Leesman, who is on the 40-man roster. Carroll is 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 19 innings, while Leesman is 0-2 with a 1.59 ERA in 17 innings for the Knights.

csn

He also said Paulino touched 97 last night. And hell no on Axelrod, we're just going backwards with him.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 03:20 AM)
He was never a good minor leaguer.

He was never a good major leaguer.

He is 30 years old.

There was no reason for aHilarious te to believe he would do well going out of spring training.

There is no reason for anyone to believe he will do anything from this point on.

I don't ever want the Sox to lose, but I was hoping that if he was going to lose tonight, it would be the one to do him in. I bet he's gone after tonight.

It's hilarious that people thought he would be good. It's hilarious that he made the rotation. Hilarious that he was given the 2 spot in the rotation. Hilarious that He was given a 4th start. Hilarious that he hasn't been outright released yet.

I was one of the guys that thought he could be good. I kept throwing out the fact that over his past 160 odd innings as a starter he had 1 real bad start, then in the other 155 some odd innings he had an era below 3.5.

I thought that was a legit reason to be optimistic, and some legit evidence of a guy with a good arm finally putting it together......boy was I apparently really, really wrong.

My answer to our pitching BS:

Move Paulino to DL and when he returns to Pen, if he still struggles cut him. Call up Rienzo in his place in the rotation and if he struggles send him back down for either Leesman or Beck. Our bullpen should eventually feauture:

Jones, Cleto, Lindstrom, Webb, Downs, Belisario, and Paulino as the long man...actually f*** that it still looks like s***

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
It seems to be the best option, and it probably isn't a good one. This is like shades of the early 2000s where the one starter is just a huge problem.

It's one thing to count that spot as almost a guaranteed loss, but they need to find someone that will at least get them through the fifth or sixth inning.

I found it strange at the time that before spring training the article that ran about Paulino being ahead of Rienzo. Obviously some combination of Hahn, Coop and Robin were already ticketing him to be the 5th starter. Then the results of spring training did not change that opinion. Either some combination of that group totally missed the boat or the other 5th starter candidates are really not legit. If the next in line are really weak, Hahn should have acquired another arm over the winter in case a starter went down to injury or totally flopped. Considering Johnson and Paulino had a limited resume of recent MLB success and Danks had some questions surrounding him, another arm should have been added via trade or FA.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
I found it strange at the time that before spring training the article that ran about Paulino being ahead of Rienzo. Obviously some combination of Hahn, Coop and Robin were already ticketing him to be the 5th starter. Then the results of spring training did not change that opinion. Either some combination of that group totally missed the boat or the other 5th starter candidates are really not legit. If the next in line are really weak, Hahn should have acquired another arm over the winter in case a starter went down to injury or totally flopped. Considering Johnson and Paulino had a limited resume of recent MLB success and Danks had some questions surrounding him, another arm should have been added via trade or FA.

Well, we did just pick up another former phenom, albeit damaged goods.

Should have gone after Simon from the Orioles after they dumped him. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)

This is exactly right. I believe the reason that Paulino was ahead of Rienzo this spring is because they spent $2M on Paulino.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
Where's the we have 7 starters crowd? We still have two weeks left in April and we're down to 4.

Meh, it's all hindsight. They obviously liked Paulino for whatever reason, and last year Rienzo had 3 quality starts in his 5 ML starts....not sure who the 7th one you're referring to is...Beck? He's, if we're lucky a few months away.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
Where's the we have 7 starters crowd? We still have two weeks left in April and we're down to 4.

I 100% agree that our starting pitching depth was overrated by some here. However, I think most of those posters used that "depth" as reason behind not signing a mediocre free agent starter, which is still the right call for us. Tanaka made sense for us, guys like Santana did not. Regardless, hitting on this #3 pick will be crucial for the long-term well being for our rotation.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
I 100% agree that our starting pitching depth was overrated by some here. However, I think most of those posters used that "depth" as reason behind not signing a mediocre free agent starter, which is still the right call for us. Tanaka made sense for us, guys like Santana did not. Regardless, hitting on this #3 pick will be crucial for the long-term well being for our rotation.

A $50M investment in another starter would have provided stability in the rotation without any downside (if he's bad, he's bad.)

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
Ah yes, the guy who has given up 13 runs and walked 10 in his first 3 starts. Paulino gave up 13 and 9 in his first 3 starts.....Could you imagine the meltdown here?

Coop will fix him.

Why isn't Cooper getting any crap for crap pitchers pitching crappy? The 2 previous hitting coaches did and we read about all the wonderful pitchers the Sox develop.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
Coop will fix him.

Why isn't Cooper getting any crap for crap pitchers pitching crappy? The 2 previous hitting coaches did and we read about all the wonderful pitchers the Sox develop.

I think he deserves some crap. All these walks are very un-Coop-like and we need our staff to be Coop-like. Not ready to throw him under the bus entirely, but this start inspires no confidence.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 05:50 PM)
Coop will fix him.

Bullpen reminds me of 2007 where they brought in a lot of guys with good stuff and thought he could fix them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
Coop will fix him.

This has to be intentionally dense.

Give Coop a pitching staff with Buehrle (almost 30 IP, low 20's K's, only 2 ER on the season), Sergio Santos, Santiago, Addison Reed and Gio Gonzalez and things will suddenly look quite different for Don Cooper.

The Dodgers ran Belisario into the ground last year...he was the RH version of Matt Thornton for them.

That's no mistake that the Cardinals and Royals both gave up on Cleto (pretty sure the Cardinals know what they're doing and what they have and don't have in pitchers).

Downs looks like this year's version of Jeff Keppinger, a very odd signing in terms of looking at the "big picture" and why the hell we needed a reliable LH reliever when we didn't even have a "sure thing" in Jones or Lindstrom at closer. Veal...well, we all know how bad he was in 2013 and then again this year, and he was our second best LH option.

Edited by caulfield12