Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 2m

Another home run for Jose Abreu. Not like this guy was a secret. Marco Paddy and the White Sox just flat out beat other teams on him.

There are a few guys on this board who continue to say that Marco Paddy didn't bring in Abreu though......

Because he didn't

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-white-sox.html

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Well isn't Paddy basically Kenny's assistant?

Since he named JR and Hahn and himself, I would imagine if the reason Jose Abreu is a White Sox is Paddy, KW might have at least mentioned him once. I suppose he could be not being straight, so your choice is a Ben Badler tweet or KW quotes. I'm going with the quotes.

Jose Abreu was not a "diamond in the rough." We was the best, most developed, most mature, and most celebrated hitter on the island of Cuba. No one had to "find" him.

The person driving the boat from Cuba to Mexico had to find him--at night--in the dark.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Jose Abreu was not a "diamond in the rough." We was the best, most developed, most mature, and most celebrated hitter on the island of Cuba. No one had to "find" him.

And JR was the money man. If they stuck with KW's original 4 year $40 million, Abreu would be elsewhere.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
And JR was the money man. If they stuck with KW's original 4 year $40 million, Abreu would be elsewhere.

That was just his initial assessment. No one really knew for sure where it would end up. Just go look at what the guesses were...they were all over the place.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
That was just his initial assessment. No one really knew for sure where it would end up. Just go look at what the guesses were...they were all over the place.

I understand that, but it does indicate even further Paddy isn't the reason Abrue is a White Sox.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
Poor guy is Ceranno. Can't hit the curve ball.

I believe it's more problems with the down-and-away slider.

He hits the high breaking pitches fine. Just like everybody else. Except, unlike everybody else, he doesn't have to barrel it up for the ball to go a long, long way.

For Jose, it's all about adjustments. He should NEVER swing at the down-and-away sliders UNLESS he has two strikes. Otherwise, let ... it ... go. Most pitchers can't get that sh*t over with regularity, anyway.

Abreu is very, very good already ... and he's dealing with major league pitchers and scouting reports who are trying everything to get him out. If he makes the necessary adjustments -- and he seems to be the quick study that most of us could only hope he'd be -- he has the chance to jump from very, very good to simply incredible.

This signing/contract might very well go down as one of the biggest steals ... EVER.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
I believe it's more problems with the down-and-away slider.

He hits the high breaking pitches fine. Just like everybody else. Except, unlike everybody else, he doesn't have to barrel it up for the ball to go a long, long way.

For Jose, it's all about adjustments. He should NEVER swing at the down-and-away sliders UNLESS he has two strikes. Otherwise, let ... it ... go. Most pitchers can't get that sh*t over with regularity, anyway.

Abreu is very, very good already ... and he's dealing with major league pitchers and scouting reports who are trying everything to get him out. If he makes the necessary adjustments -- and he seems to be the quick study that most of us could only hope he'd be -- he has the chance to jump from very, very good to simply incredible.

This signing/contract might very well go down as one of the biggest steals ... EVER.

I am feeling pretty good after yesterday where 2 inside fastballs where turned for a LF home run and then an OPPOSITE FIELD SINGLE.

Love this man.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
I just saw them bait him into that bases loaded K last night.

I knew what was coming but he didn't seem to realize what they were going to do to him.

He needs to almost always go into his at bats looking inside and up. Easier said then done but if he can a 280, 290 avg is not out of the question. Right now my only complaint is lack of walks but with a 925 ops and the really good hitting weather still to come he might start seeing the ball better on the junk stuff outside.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
MLB Stat of the Day ‏@MLBStatoftheDay 1m

Jose Abreu is 3rd first-year player to reach 19 HRs/50 RBIs before All-Star break, joining Wally Joyner in 1986 and Albert Pujols in 2001.

5 more weeks until the ASG, get 30 and 85.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)
I just saw them bait him into that bases loaded K last night.

I knew what was coming but he didn't seem to realize what they were going to do to him.

He is prone to the outside and down curve and does seem to K quite a bit. I am thinking this is more his unfamiliarity with the majors and he will improve. I would like to see his average up a bit

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
I picked up a Jose Abreu authentic bat that he signed courtesy of the Chicago White Sox. A worthy add to the collection.

im sure that wasnt cheap lol got my sports illustarted magazine signed, great guy :)

b06d2b50-706d-454c-a034-fe09b217c2d3_zps

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
who do you guys think will end up winning the roy? neither will end up with these numbers imo, but espn has them on pace for:

abreu:.270/47/123

tanaka:25-3 2.02

No doubt about it...Tanaka is ROY if he puts up those numbers. Not even close to me.