Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Dave Cameron's chat at FanGraphs:

12:21 Comment From Will

What would you imagine Jose Abreu would fetch if he was put back on the market after the first month of the season? More than 68 million?

12:21 Dave Cameron: 168 million.

12:21 Dave Cameron: Probably over 8 or 9 years instead of 6, but he’d get way more.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-chat-43014/

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
MLB Stat of the Day ‏@MLBStatoftheDay 41m

Jose Abreu now has 71 total bases for the season. Highest ever for a rookie in months of March/April.

Cuba is really a great unkwn esp for players.... I wish we can get a equal talent in a pitcher as Jose is a hitter.

I'm surprised he said that much - since he did, it makes me wonder if something funny happened with Puig's defection...maybe Abreu was to be involved, maybe Puig was supposed to be a part of Abreu's defection, something like that.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
I'm surprised he said that much - since he did, it makes me wonder if something funny happened with Puig's defection...maybe Abreu was to be involved, maybe Puig was supposed to be a part of Abreu's defection, something like that.

make me wonder as well, with the rep that puig has, I would love to have been a fly on the wall in cuba.

without reading too much into it, I see Jose attention is on baseball and family and if I remember into religion. maybe

not in that order, but I am impress.

I wonder if there is any major pitcher that may defect, with Jose and Alexie being our rep.... maybe we can have a

inside track.

Anyone that can confirm or deny my recollection on Abreu of him having a tendency of getting a bit antsy in big situations and getting swing-happy? Might be a bit unfair as he's got a walk-off grand slam, but I think there's been a few times where he seems to get to the plate and feels like he has to swing at everything.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 1, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...-start/8536197/

Bob Nightengale article on Abreu. His relationship with Puig is mentioned within if someone feels the need to page Caulfield.

puig is so unlikable, the more i see and read about him. fame just got to him like crazy. and obviously no one around baseball respects him either

yasiel-puig-bat-flip.gif

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 3, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
Anyone that can confirm or deny my recollection on Abreu of him having a tendency of getting a bit antsy in big situations and getting swing-happy? Might be a bit unfair as he's got a walk-off grand slam, but I think there's been a few times where he seems to get to the plate and feels like he has to swing at everything.

There's no doubt he has to learn to take walks because sometimes the pitchers would rather take their chances on the next guy up. There's the learning curve he has to go through. They won't challenge him much now . It'll be get yourself out or take your walk. Trust your teammates can do the job too in the late innings.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 4, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
I think we will see a lot of ups and downs with Abreu, he seems to be in a down valley right now, he looks like he did when he went 1/25

It only seems that way because now his HR's are solo shots since Eaton or Semien are no longer on base when he hits one out. But he's actually at .280 with 2 jacks and 2 doubles in his last 7 games More extra base hits than singles which is inline with what we've seen of him so far.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside