Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
He's having trouble identifying sliders and cutters tailing away. He's probably never seen many that are this good. It's actually kind of remarkable that he's doing this well.

Agreed.

I remember Coespedes first year. After about a month there was a thread here basically laughing that the A's got hosed. He turned it way on that summer, obviously.

I kept that in mind, Alexei, Coespedes, etc, all seem to have shown how big the adjustment is but then made it rapidly. I figured Abreu would do the same and he has, but you can also see him learning day by day.

It's exciting he is hitting the mistakes so hard, and continuing to get on base regardless of cold streaks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 8h

Jose Abreu: 18 RBI through first 20 career games is most by a White Sox player since Zeke Bonura in 1934 (20)

OT: not a twitter guy, but love that guy's tweets, very knowledgeable.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 03:10 AM)
Could Alexei and Viciedo be trying to emulate Abreu? Or, maybe he has even been "coaching" them a little.

Neither of them has had a start like this season's first month. Where would the Sox be without the Cubans?

Perhaps our new hitting coach has been coaching them? I seriously doubt Abreu has offered much technical advice to either player.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 04:58 AM)
Perhaps our new hitting coach has been coaching them? I seriously doubt Abreu has offered much technical advice to either player.

Yes, but isn't interesting that the two players with the most impressive start are Abreu's fellow Cubans? Alexei hitting for average and power in APRIL!!

Viciedo hitting for average, and drawing walks. Are these the same two guys?

If Steverson were the difference, interesting that he should be getting through to the two guys who barely speak English.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 06:26 AM)
Yes, but isn't interesting that the two players with the most impressive start are Abreu's fellow Cubans? Alexei hitting for average and power in APRIL!!

Viciedo hitting for average, and drawing walks. Are these the same two guys?

If Steverson were the difference, interesting that he should be getting through to the two guys who barely speak English.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most non-Hispanic hitting coaches still find a way to work with their Hispinic players. And a quick google search confirms that Steverson can converse in Spanish.

And again, my beef is with the idea that guys like Abreu & Konerko are working on the technical aspects of batting with other players. Is it possible? I guess so, but it seems incredibly unlikely IMO, and quite frankly that's the hitting coach's job. I'm not going to argue that Abreu may serve as a mentor to a guy like Viciedo, but that comes down more to preparation side of things. Viciedo becoming more patient is something Steverson has been pushing and credit should go to them not Abreu.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 05:58 AM)

Viciedo and Flowers at the very least have completely different approaches at the plate this year. Dunn is also approaching things differently.

I think just being around a new guy with that much hype has kinda woken those two up a bit. Before that they were the new guys on a team with vets. Now they see Abreu come in and feel like they can be a part of this too. Almost like, hey don't forget about us, we can play too. Whatever it is, I'm glad those two have gotten off to a good start.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 06:02 AM)
Viciedo and Flowers at the very least have completely different approaches at the plate this year. Dunn is also approaching things differently.

What's new about Flowers's approach? He's walking and striking out pretty much exactly the same amount as he was last year.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
What's new about Flowers's approach? He's walking and striking out pretty much exactly the same amount as he was last year.

Flowers has mentioned altering his swing path in such a way that he can hit more singles

He is taking the ball the other way a lot more. Not trying to hit every ball 700 feet. He is striking out a ton, and obviously has hit in some good luck, which should go back closer to the mean, but no way would he give himself a chance to be this lucky with his old approach.

His arms are back in a better position. His bat is inverted with the bat knob facing towards his back foot. The bat head is above his head. He is setting himself up better by keeping his upper half more quiet with this setup, and his lower half is keeping closed more with a firm front foot and great rotation on the back heel. So far it looks pretty damn good.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
We'll see on Flowers. I can't help but think he's just getting lucky right now, but I'll defer to those with greater knowledge on swing mechanics.

He's absolutely getting lucky now, but his game has improved overall.