Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abreu also on top of the CBS stock watch

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-he...-a-steal-so-far

Jose Daniel Abreu, who leads the majors in homers and RBI, may turn out to be the bargain of the winter. He's also a Yasiel Puig opposite, at least in terms of his polite manner.

Who says there are no more bargains on the free-agent market?

Jose Abreu could turn out to be one of the best buys in free-agent history. Superstars don't go for barely more than $11 million a year, as Abreu did when he signed with the White Sox for $68 million over six years.

The successes of Yoenis Cespedes and Yasiel Puig provided extra belief that Abreu's excellent stats meant something. But as it turns out, the White Sox may have underpaid by half.

Shin-Soo Choo and Jacoby Ellsbury are extremely good players, but they received about twice as much as Abreu (actually more in Ellsbury's case). And who would you rather have, either of them or a 27-year-old slugger who looks like he's going to be a sensation in the Second City? Plus, as an extra, the White Sox didn't have to surrender a draft choice to sign the Cuban star.

Abreu is an unusual person, both for his incredible power, and his polite manner. So he's no Puig in terms of personality. When I arrived in White Sox camp at Camelback Ranch I was warned that Abreu would come over to shake my hand. And that he did, unsolicited.

That makes an impression.

An even bigger impression is his hitting so far early this season. He leads the majors with his 10 home runs and 31 RBI. He is showing amazing strength with the ability to drive the ball out the opposite way, and is reason No. 1 the White Sox have gone from the worst offense in the American League last year to one of the best, at least so far.

Here are all the Bulls and Bears from the week of the Stock Watch. (Note: The Stock Watch rule disallows repeat appearances in the Bull and Bear Markets, thus Adam Wainwright and Albert Pujols, who both followed great weeks last week with yet another great week, were ineligible.)

Bull Market

1. Jose Abreu, 1B, White Sox: He has 17 RBI and six home runs over his last eight games, making him the obvious choice. The walk-off grand slam off Grant Balfour was the top highlight in a fast start full of them. The Astros, Red Sox and Rockies weren't outbid by much (reportedly, they also all bid over $60 million) and may be kicking themselves for not kicking in a few more bucks. The 10 homers and 31 RBI set rookie records through April, by the way.

I also found this one pretty funny.

Dishonorable mention: Roberto Hernandez, SP, Phillies; Starling Marte, OF, Pirates; Colby Rasmus, OF, Jays; Jordan Danks, OF, White Sox; Dan Uggla, 2B, Braves; Tony Campana, OF, Diamondbacks; Freddy Galvis, INF, Phillies; Brad Miller, SS, Mariners; Ernesto Frieri, RP, Angels; Carlos Gonzalez, OF, Rockies; Sean Doolittle, RP, A's; Kevin Correia, SP, Twins; Josh Fields, RP, Astros; Brian Wilson, RP, Dodgers; Ryan Vogelsong, RP, Giants, Robbie Erlin, SP, Padres; J.B. Shuck, OF, Angels; Curtis Granderson, OF, Mets; Jordan Danks, OF, White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Abreu also on top of the CBS stock watch

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-he...-a-steal-so-far

I also found this one pretty funny.

Remember six months ago when many were interested in Granderson for the OF? Seems like a lifetime ago with Eaton's presence on this team leaving so indelible an impression.

Kinda sad but I'm already thinking about the fact that he can opt for arbitration when eligible, that will put a damper on the $11M AAV that every baseball reporter in America is throwing around right now. He'll make $10M in his 3rd year, given that he's guaranteed only $10.5M in his 4th, he's a lock to opt out and go for a big pay day in arbitration if he's anywhere near as badass of a hitter as we believe.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Kinda sad but I'm already thinking about the fact that he can opt for arbitration when eligible, that will put a damper on the $11M AAV that every baseball reporter in America is throwing around right now. He'll make $10M in his 3rd year, given that he's guaranteed only $10.5M in his 4th, he's a lock to opt out and go for a big pay day in arbitration if he's anywhere near as badass of a hitter as we believe.

It would be interesting to find comps for him in relation to his pre-free agent status, especially his 4th year. It might not be worth it at that point, but I guess we will see.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 10:26 PM)

If he deserves it, then I don't think we'll be too upset with paying him a lot more money given the team should be in contention by then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
It would be interesting to find comps for him in relation to his pre-free agent status, especially his 4th year. It might not be worth it at that point, but I guess we will see.

Ryan Howard is probably the best comparison at this second, but we've only seen (less than) a month of Abreu, so who knows exactly how he ends up as a hitter overall.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)

First year arb eligible position player arb record is $10 million, third year is $15. If he's as good as we think he'll probably break the records but will anybody be too upset if we have to pay him say 13, 16, 19 in his arb years? He would be worth every penny.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
First year arb eligible position player arb record is $10 million, third year is $15. If he's as good as we think he'll probably break the records but will anybody be too upset if we have to pay him say 13, 16, 19 in his arb years? He would be worth every penny.

Any players gotten bigger numbers than that outside of arbitration, pre-free agency?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
Any players gotten bigger numbers than that outside of arbitration, pre-free agency?

Trout is scheduled to make $15.25 million in year 4, though he likely would have qualified as a Super 2 player, and he "only" makes $5.25 mill next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)

Ryan Howard got 15, 19 in what would have been years 2 and 3 of arbitration. Only one that comes to mind. If Abreu opts out I would certainly think the Sox would try to avoid arb and sign him to a nice extension.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
Trout is scheduled to make $15.25 million in year 4, though he likely would have qualified as a Super 2 player, and he "only" makes $5.25 mill next year.

So I would say that would be the absolute ceiling. Abreu would have been a "Super 2" guy as well.

It would be pretty easy to argue a lesser number than that for Abreu as the baserunning and defense will be WAY under Trout, even if the rest of the offensive numbers end up in the same ballpark.

I will say, that would be a great problem to have, because that means Jose is a golden god.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
Ryan Howard got 15, 19 in what would have been years 2 and 3 of arbitration. Only one that comes to mind. If Abreu opts out I would certainly think the Sox would try to avoid arb and sign him to a nice extension.

The thing that really sucks about Abreu is that when he's arbitration eligible, he'll be 30 and very possible be in the process of trending downwards already.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)

Jose is scheduled for $10.5, $11.5, and $12. It would be the second and third Abr years that go off of the rails by a decent amount then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
So Jerry was calling Kenny to have him raise the offer to Jose Abreu.

Interesting.

JR has never been afraid of spending when he needs to, however he will not spend like the Yankees. I remember when he held a

meeting with the ticket holders and we were told to write opinions on how to improve the team, many wrote that albert

belle needed to be sign to help out big frank ..... hindisight being what it is, how were we to know Belle was BATs*** crazy.