Chris Sale to start Thu May 22 vs Yankees

Feeky Magee

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Per Rick Hahn, Chris Sale's session went well. Does sound like it might be a couple weeks before he goes on a rehab assignment.

Late May or early June return it looks like by Hahn's comments.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
As long as nothing is torn and he doesn't eventually need surgery, I don't care how long they keep him out this season.

I almost have to wonder if maybe they figure it can't hurt their chances of staying in the protected-1st-rounder category.

ugh, I knew this was going to happen.

Nobody is going to talk me down from the ledge on this. We are going to keep getting "good reports" but a delayed time table and then suddenly we'll see "Sale out for season, getting surgery"

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)

Nobody is going to talk me down from the ledge on this. We are going to keep getting "good reports" but a delayed time table and then suddenly we'll see "Sale out for season, getting surgery"

This doesn't feel too far off.

This is entirely possible. He had a 40 pitch bullpen session yesterday. If he felt fine he would probably have a simulated game or rehab start coming up. Obviously, everything wasn't fine. He is going to have another bullpen session tomorrow I think. If this happens than I will be encouraged. It means that they are just working on strengthening to get his arm ready for a start. If the bullpen session happens any later than Thursday, there is still something going on.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
This is entirely possible. He had a 40 pitch bullpen session yesterday. If he felt fine he would probably have a simulated game or rehab start coming up. Obviously, everything wasn't fine. He is going to have another bullpen session tomorrow I think. If this happens than I will be encouraged. It means that they are just working on strengthening to get his arm ready for a start. If the bullpen session happens any later than Thursday, there is still something going on.

What does your gut tell you?

We're all starting to get alarmed...as this is clearly a lot more than missing just a start or two.

Is it really possible that there's a "partial" tear that will heal on its own with rest/rehab and not require surgery? And what, if anything, can be done to prevent such a recurrence in the future? There's just no way to realistically change his mechanics without completely changing his effectiveness, and that would probably lead to even more injuries as he overcompensated or tried to protect himself subconsciously.

I agree. This is far from the "he could have just skipped a start and then pitched, the DL was just extraordinary precausion" it started out as.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Hahn spoke at length about Sale this morning.

http://thegamechicago.com/2014/05/06/white.../#axzz30xPdPEhc

FWIW, Hahn says they are now on a program of "ramping him up" and that "clinically the area is fine, it's calmed down".

I'm a little worried despite what Hahn is claiming. But it's not time to panic yet, if he hasn't made a rehab start by the end of May, hit the panic button, slam your hand on it in fact.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
We can revisit how dumb it is still to trade him, yes.

You can't say 'trading him is dumb' til you know exactly what trades are out there. The reason sale fell to us in the draft is the reason we got the bargain extension deal, and is the reason we're conflicted right now over what he is. His quality of pitching has not changed but either have the question marks.

he's either a physical freak that withstands that delivery of his, or he isnt. and we wont know til his career is over, be it long or short.

pretending to already know otherwise is just what you do to self-soothe. but the FO is not as lucky as us, who can do that. deciding the future of this team is what is at stake..and that is not an exaggeration. if you have already turned down an A+ haul of prospects for sale, that is a decision that steers the course of the franchise, for good or bad.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 6, 2014 -> 07:12 PM)
You can't say 'trading him is dumb' til you know exactly what trades are out there.

Correct. I need to start qualifying my posts better. Trading Chris Sale for anything short of a player along the lines of Mike Trout or even a Manny Machado is laughably dumb.

I apologize for making the assumption that those trades aren't out there.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Correct. I need to start qualifying my posts better. Trading Chris Sale for anything short of a player along the lines of Mike Trout or even a Manny Machado is laughably dumb.

I apologize for making the assumption that those trades aren't out there.

For an organization that needs a lot, a bonafide ace that has had arm issues each year and has mechanics concerns since forever...........there are absolutely more trades to look at than just that.

It's not some failure on our part to just simply admit that there's complexity to it. Weigh how sturdy he is versus how soon you expect to be good enough to make his ace-ness matter big time. The contract we just got him under enhances the prospect haul, mind you.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
For an organization that needs a lot, a bonafide ace that has had arm issues each year and has mechanics concerns since forever...........there are absolutely more trades to look at than just that.

It's not some failure on our part to just simply admit that there's complexity to it. Weigh how sturdy he is versus how soon you expect to be good enough to make his ace-ness matter big time. The contract we just got him under enhances the prospect haul, mind you.

FWIW, TINSSAAPP applie to everyone, not just Sale. If the Sox are close to the playoffs, having a guy like Sale that pretty much guarantees a shot in 2 or or 3 of the games is a huge advantage.

If the Sox lose another 90+ games this year and it's obvious they are more than another piece or two away, then you look into trading him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
What does your gut tell you?

We're all starting to get alarmed...as this is clearly a lot more than missing just a start or two.

Is it really possible that there's a "partial" tear that will heal on its own with rest/rehab and not require surgery? And what, if anything, can be done to prevent such a recurrence in the future? There's just no way to realistically change his mechanics without completely changing his effectiveness, and that would probably lead to even more injuries as he overcompensated or tried to protect himself subconsciously.

If they even suspected a partial tear, he would have been shut down for at least 4 weeks. They believe it is a muscles strain and are progressing accordingly. The unknown factor is how bad the strain is and how long before the inflammation goes down. Once this happens it's a strengthening and motor control process. This is why how long between throwing sessions is important. It's based on how the muscle is recovering.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
I agree. This is far from the "he could have just skipped a start and then pitched, the DL was just extraordinary precausion" it started out as.

This is true. However, I think they really thought that. The are approaching like a muscle strain. The muscle just isn't responding as quickly as they would like.