GM Rick Hahn's Tenure

GGajewski18

Trades

Acquired 3B Connor Gillaspie from the Giants for RP Jeff Soptic

Acquired SP Frank Montas, OF Avisail Garcia, SS Clelious Rondon, and SP Jeffery Wendelken from the Red Sox and Tigers for SP Jake Peavy

Acquired INF Leury Garcia from the Rangers for RF Alex Rios

Acquired SP Sean Bierman and SS Ben Kline from the Rays for RP Jesse Crain

Acquired OF Brandon Jacobs from the Red Sox for RP Matt Thornton

Acquired OF Adam Eaton from the Diamondbacks for SP Hector Santiago and OF Brandon Jacobs

Acquired 3B Matt Davidson from the Diamondbacks for RP Addison Reed

Acquired OF Gorkys Hernandez from the Royals for cash considerations

Traded INF Jake Elmore to the Athletics for cash considerations

Traded SP Zach Steward to the Braves for cash considerations

Traded SP Spencer Arroyo to the Diamondbacks for cash considerations

Traded RP Omar Poveda to the Nationals for cash considerations

Signings

3B Jeff Keppinger 3 years/18 million

1B Jose Abreu 6 years/68 million

RP Scott Downs 1 year/4 million

RP Ronald Belisario 1 year/3 million

SP Felipe Paulino 1 year/1.5 million

SP Tommy Hanson- minor league contract

RP Zach Putnam- minor league contract

RP Mitchell Boggs- minor league contract

RP Frank Fransisco- minor league contract

Rule 5 Draft

C Adrian Nieto

SS Angel Sanchez

Waivers

OF Moises Sierra

SP Eric Surkamp

RP Maikel Cleto

RP Frank De Los Santos

SP Hector Noesi

RP Javy Guerra

Extensions

SP Chris Sale 5 years/32 million with option years that can be 7 years/60 million

SP Jose Quintana 5 years/26.5 million with option years that can be 7 years/48 million

Draft (Key Players)

SS Tim Anderson

SP Tyler Danish

OF Jacob May

SP Andrew Mitchell

SP James Dykstra

3B Trey Michalczewski

SP Thaddius Lowry

SP Chris Fruedenberg

RP Brad Goldberg

OF Adam Engel

OF Micker Zapata (International Signing)

In just over a year Rick Hahn has provided a little more depth in the minor leagues, gotten younger at the ML level and signed our 2 most important pitchers to very team friendly deals. IMO, like I'm sure most of us, he has done a tremendous job overhauling this team to make it a young yet competitive team that can push for the playoffs if not this season but for sure down the road.

What are your guys' thoughts so far on his moves and if I missed anything, please tell me and I can edit this and possibly we can sticky this while we monitor Hahn's moves in the future. I think it would be beneficial to us to see how well he has done so far for this team in a short period of time.

Edited by SoxPride18

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moves I loved at the time:

Gillaspie trade

Sale signing

Q signing

Reed trade

Abreu signing

Drafting

I think I'm looking good here, other than maybe the Reed trade

Moves I didn't like at the time

Santiago for Eaton

Adrian Nieto picked under the assumption he stayed up

Some bullpen stuff

Peavy trade

None of these have done anything in particular to change my mind. The Eaton one I like now if he can stay healthy but we will see. Honestly the Sale and Abreu signings and far outweigh this stuff anyways.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Only obvious mistake is Keppinger and he was quick to realize it and be done with him. He's done an excellent job especially getting Conor, Eaton and Garcia and Abreu to completely revitalize our position player MLB talent level.

Hector Santiago over his last 180 IP as a starter has a FIP of about 5. Hahn freaking nailed that trade. There is zero reason to think otherwise.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

The only move I didn't like at the time was the Peavy deal, as I've long thought Avisail overrated before we acquired him. I'm still not a big Avi fan, but I do believe it was the best deal that was on the table, and I think moving Peavy then was the right thing to do.

I said if he can stay healthy I'll like it. But with his style and what we've seen so far that doesn't look good. On the flip side Santiago isn't doing any better but I do believe he would have developed differently here. Regardless what he does my like or dislike for it depends on what Eaton will do.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
I said if he can stay healthy I'll like it. But with his style and what we've seen so far that doesn't look good. On the flip side Santiago isn't doing any better but I do believe he would have developed differently here. Regardless what he does my like or dislike for it depends on what Eaton will do.

Yeah sorry I guess I read that wrong.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
The only move I didn't like at the time was the Peavy deal, as I've long thought Avisail overrated before we acquired him. I'm still not a big Avi fan, but I do believe it was the best deal that was on the table, and I think moving Peavy then was the right thing to do.

I really believe Avi is a huge part of the core and is pretty solid considering his age (only 22), he still has plenty of time to develop, just like Viciedo. Not to mention Montas has had 2 great starts so far, Rondon is in the 260s with a great glove in Kanny and Wendelken has average numbers as a starter but he K's a lot of people and doesn't walk anybody, I think he'll be best in the bullpen.

Remember, Avi is the oldest player in that deal too. Those 3 are all 21 or younger.

Edited by SoxPride18

I don't think so, and in fact what probably happened is Cooper whispered in Hahn's ear that there wasn't much more he felt they could do with Hector and to trade him while the getting was good.

I would bet money that Santiago was the one who was traded because the White Sox (and most specifically Don Cooper) didn't think the guy was going to be able to be a good starting pitcher on a season to season basis. There was something there they didn't jive with, which is why they dealt him when they got the chance. Whether it was high pitch counts, not pounding the zone enough, who knows. It is just me speculating based on his handling.

I am so impressed with Rick Hahn and feel the team is in the best hands it's been in since I became a fan in 1967.

I know the Keppinger signing is the only bad room to date, but it's cool to have a GM who will admit it and move on.

The only other move that makes me nervous is the extension of Ventura.

I think the Sox liked Hector, but he couldn't pitch in a worse ballpark for him than the Cell. The Cell is hitter friendly ONLY on fly balls and Hector was one of the most extreme flyball pitchers in the game. Given the kind of superior talent we could get in return, it was a no-brainer. I say that as a big Hector backer.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Peavy trade

None of these have done anything in particular to change my mind.

Avisail under team control is big. You win when you get production on nice cheap labor deals, and free up space for other acquisitions. I love how financially things shape up here on out, and this move is a part of that.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 15, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)

Time will tell if it was the best deal. The White Sox could have had Iglesias(+) but Hahn wanted an outfielder. If the Sox did that trade then they could have swapped Alexei over the winter. I do like Avi but I saw a lot of Iglesias and he will be a gold glove SS for years to come. Not sure who else Boston would have included or if it would be the same guys ithey threw in the eventual trade.

Ironic both Iglesias and Avi are out for the season.

Love the index in the OP, nicely done.

LHP Eric Surkamp as a waiver claim might be worth mentioning.

Also there are a handful of minor leaguers he has picked up that are still down there, most are non-prospects but a couple have a little interest maybe. Guys like Mike Recchia, Jake Sanchez, David Putman. But not sure it is worth even assigning those to him, he probably only signed a piece of paper in those cases.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 15, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Peavy Rios trade obviously need to be evaluated on dollar terms, but the Rios for L. Garcia is kind of a huge bust for me right now.

Yeah, looking in hindsight, Rangers got a major steal, wonder what Sox could of got if he was a deadline deal last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
Love the index in the OP, nicely done.

LHP Eric Surkamp as a waiver claim might be worth mentioning.

Also there are a handful of minor leaguers he has picked up that are still down there, most are non-prospects but a couple have a little interest maybe. Guys like Mike Recchia, Jake Sanchez, David Putman. But not sure it is worth even assigning those to him, he probably only signed a piece of paper in those cases.

Thank you. I was considering Wheeler also. I did mention Surkamp in the waivers by the way.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 15, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
Yeah, looking in hindsight, Rangers got a major steal, wonder what Sox could of got if he was a deadline deal last year.

Thank you. I was considering Wheeler also. I did mention Surkamp in the waivers by the way.

Sorry, missed Surkamp.

Wheeler? Andre? He was drafted. Now if you want to consider his 2013 draft, that's another whole list.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
Sorry, missed Surkamp.

Wheeler? Andre? He was drafted. Now if you want to consider his 2013 draft, that's another whole list.

Yeah, was Hahn the GM during the 2012 draft? Because I was only doing 2013 key players that I think can get to MLB from that draft.

Scott Downs looks to be at the end of his rope, but that wasn't a major deal...just more of a misallocation of resources.

We've taken lots of shots in the dark (Boggs, Guerra, Francisco, Cleto, Putnam) and some of them have actually worked out, others, not so much.

At the end of the year, we'll have a much better idea about the wisdom of retaining the services of Beckham and DeAza. Both have been needed (injuries to Eaton/Garcia/Gillaspie/Semien struggling) but let's see where we are at the end of July with them.

Salty has played very well, but so has Flowers, unexpectedly. Of course, they'll both regress and McCann will look decent at some point, but it's not like it's a slam dunk that signing Saltalamacchia would have been the move to turn that position around, either.

Abreu and the Sale/Quintana deals are undoubtedly the most important ones...although Quintana has looked more like a 3 than a 2 so far this season. That said, his contract is still quite fair for his production, as long as he stays healthy.

Who hired the new hitting coach? If it's Hahn, that has to be added to the list as a HUGE positive.

However, I agree with the person who didn't like the Ventura extension. Living in Virginia, I don't get to see that many games. But in the games I've seen, as often as not I felt Ventura really blew the game management to the point of helping LOSE the game.

What's amazing to me is the Hahn has put in place the position players who could compete, with the major need now the revamping of the pitching staff. Since the Sox have tended to be better at developing pitchers than position players, this is an excellent approach.

C - Tyler Flowers new hitting success makes him a viable option at catcher.

1B - covered with Abreu for 6 years of his prime.

2B - a possibly rejuvenated Gordon Beckham, and several options nearly ready behind him

SS - still have Ramirez, who is experiencing an offensive resurgence. One of the best SS in the game

3B - Conor Gillaspie adds a necessary LH bat, and we have a power hitting righty who is nearly ML ready

LF - Dayan Viciedo may have started to figure it out offensively.

CF - Eaton, IF he can stay healthy, is a fantastic sparkplug leadoff guy

RF - Avisail Garcia is still very young, but has potential to round out a solid outfield

DH - Adam Dunn is not as bad as most of us make him out to be. We need a lefty power bat here if Dunn is gone next year.

Hahn's additions are: Abreu, Eaton, Avi, Gillaspie, and some depth.

The hitting coach gets some credit for the improvement of: Ramirez, Viciedo, Flowers, Beckham, and possibly Dunn.

For that, we gave up Peavy, Rios, Santiago, Reed. Konerko came back for a fraction of his prior deal.