Your Current Top 10

NorthSideSox72

How many guys in the Sox current minor league system have the ability (if everything goes right) to be All-Stars at the next level?

Probably only Hawkins and Anderson, with Micah and Davidson a notch below them but more likely average or slightly below average as major league regulars.

A year or two ago, you might have said Trayce Thompson, but that's becoming less and less likely by the day.

Hawkins is always going to get more attention (positively and negatively) than an "under the radar" guys like Semien because of relatively high first round draft pick status and outstanding power, which tends to overshadow good to average across-the-board skills of someone like Marcus. Semien does lots of little things well (not talking about his K's this year), but he's the kind of player you have to watch game after game after game to appreciate.

On the major league level, at least Viciedo and Beckham haven't been completely helpless against fastballs...Viciedo has learned to shorten his swing and punch the ball into RF, maybe because of Steverson, or it could also be due to the influence of Abreu as well.

The question is how quickly that approach/system can be expanded to help address the contact issues for some of our best hitting prospects that are examined every night under a microscope by us?

Finally, while Ravelo looking like a possible prospect has been a nice surprise, he really doesn't have a place to play going forward unless he can play LF or they decide to DH Abreu close to full time. Sure, they can package some of these guys like Semien and Davidson and Ravelo, but you're starting to get one of those Cubs' fans/call in show Xbox trades where you can send five of our prospects and get an elite young starting pitcher (like a Bauer, Giolito, Bundy, Gausman) in exchange for our leftovers.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 23, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
The Fielder injury creates a market for Dunn now, as they will have insurance money from his contract to cover Dunns.

I think we could have as many as three top 100 prospects, #3, M Johnson, and Hawkins.

The pitching in the upper levels has taken a step back thus far, but there is plenty of time for it to rebound. I think the system will be in the 15-20 range by the end of the season which really is dramatic improvement from where it was two seasons ago. Two years from now it has the chance to be a top 10 system if the investments they are making in Latin America pan out.

With guys like Zapata, you're probably looking at more like 3-4 years still before they could be a Top 100 MILB prospect.

Let's just say it probably wouldn't be until the 2016 or 17 season that one of them broke out, and then you'd have a half year's lag time for it to be reflected by Baseball America, BP, etc.

We're getting SOME credit for now at least being a part of the conversation on these guys, though...being taken more seriously as a player, but it's just potential for the time being.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 23, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Hawkins is the better prospect now due his huge power, but the consistent lack of solid contact is really concerning me. I know Hawkins is a level in front of Michalczewski, but he's also a year older and Michalczewski is preforming better in every aspect aside from the power.

They're both walking at an acceptable rate and both striking out too much. Don't get me wrong, I like both of them, and I'm admittedly biased because, while I want him striking out less, I absolutely love Hawkins. Hawkins also has top of the line talent while I'm not sure Michalczewski is there on a talent level.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 23, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Yeah you can't really compare the system to now to years past until after the draft. It's been pillaged by graduates without being restocked.

And we are going to have some really big chances to restock. Think about it. We have the #3 and #44 picks to start off the MLB draft. For references sake, 2011 top ick Keenyn Walker was picked #47.

We are also listed as a main player for one of the top pitchers in Latin America this year in Ynoa.

Ynoa and the #3 pick could be top 5 players each on the Sox big board.

Then we still have the trade deadline to bring in more guys.

Micker Adolfo is about to make his professional baseball debut in the DSL, and could shoot up lists if he gets a big start down there. The Sox 2012 Latin signings are all now turning 18, and could be primed for earning chance to go north next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
And we are going to have some really big chances to restock. Think about it. We have the #3 and #44 picks to start off the MLB draft. For references sake, 2011 top ick Keenyn Walker was picked #47.

We are also listed as a main player for one of the top pitchers in Latin America this year in Ynoa.

Ynoa and the #3 pick could be top 5 players each on the Sox big board.

Then we still have the trade deadline to bring in more guys.

Micker Adolfo is about to make his professional baseball debut in the DSL, and could shoot up lists if he gets a big start down there. The Sox 2012 Latin signings are all now turning 18, and could be primed for earning chance to go north next year.

I thought the plan for Adolfo was to play rookie league this season?

I see a lot of claims of graduation hitting the system and I am confused. There is only one offensive graduate to this point in Semien to this point and he was replaced with a higher rated prospect in Davidson? Webb and Petricka too, but as a relievers they are not going to be in many org top ten lists. The biggest issue in the system is that one time prospects have hit walls. Thompson, Walker, and Mitchell were all toolsy OF's with contact issues and as they have progressed those contact issues have derailed their careers. Thompson may have a shot as a 4th OF, but thats two consecutive top picks for the Sox that will never make the majors. Years of poor drafting have not been overcome by the solid moves that Hahn has made in the last 18 months, it will take time, but the biggest issue has been poor development and scouting not because the system has produced and abundance of ML talent.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Unless the Sox start trading guys like Sale or Quintana, it seems impossible to me that they'd rise that high in the rankings. Adding someone like Kolek or Nola would only give them 2 likely top 100 prospects (I don't think Hawkins will be a top 100 guy, as too many "experts" seem to think he has too many holes).

Doubt it, Sox will likely have 4 possibly 5 top 100 prospects. For this conversation lets say we draft Rodon or Aiken, they'll most likely slot around 14-18, Hawkins provided he doesn't fall off a cliff again should rank in a similar spot as last time (#68), Davidson provided he keeps up his hot streak should remain where he was last year around possibly a little further down #68, Micah should slot around 75-80ish based off where 2B prospects tend to land and the fact only Mookie and Odor are actually ahead of him and performing right now and Tim Anderson even with his rawness should be around 93-100. So thats potentially 5 top 100 prospects. Please tell me how I'm crazy.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 23, 2014 -> 09:38 PM)
Doubt it, Sox will likely have 4 possibly 5 top 100 prospects. For this conversation lets say we draft Rodon or Aiken, they'll most likely slot around 14-18, Hawkins provided he doesn't fall off a cliff again should rank in a similar spot as last time (#68), Davidson provided he keeps up his hot streak should remain where he was last year around possibly a little further down #68, Micah should slot around 75-80ish based off where 2B prospects tend to land and the fact only Mookie and Odor are actually ahead of him and performing right now and Tim Anderson even with his rawness should be around 93-100. So thats potentially 5 top 100 prospects. Please tell me how I'm crazy.

I'm a fan of Micah Johnson, but I've yet to see any prospect guru say he's a top 100 guy. I also think not having big time steal numbers this year will prevent him from getting more hype. Davidson's going to have to go on a big time hot streak to get his numbers to be worthy of a top 100 ranking as well. As for Hawkins, I just have a feeling that enough gurus think his hit tool is so awful that they won't rank him. Montas has a better shot of being ranked than Hawkins or Johnson.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 23, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)

You crazy!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
They're both walking at an acceptable rate and both striking out too much. Don't get me wrong, I like both of them, and I'm admittedly biased because, while I want him striking out less, I absolutely love Hawkins. Hawkins also has top of the line talent while I'm not sure Michalczewski is there on a talent level.

For me, I'm more confident in Michalczewski's ability to cut sown on strike outs than I am of Hawkins being able to fix his swing/eye enough to succeed at a higher level. To be fair, part of this is probably due to the fact that it seems like we've done this song and dance before with [insert toolsy outfielder that has completely bombed in our system here], but I'm still not entirely convinced that Hawkins can translate to a higher level from what some reports have said.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 23, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
For me, I'm more confident in Michalczewski's ability to cut sown on strike outs than I am of Hawkins being able to fix his swing/eye enough to succeed at a higher level. To be fair, part of this is probably due to the fact that it seems like we've done this song and dance before with [insert toolsy outfielder that has completely bombed in our system here], but I'm still not entirely convinced that Hawkins can translate to a higher level from what some reports have said.

I just don't understand though - what is it about Trey that makes you think he can and Hawkins can't?

In 405 career plate appearances, Michalczewski's at a career 25.7% K rate. Hawkins was awful last year, but even with a 37.2% K rate for the year last year, his career percentage is down 6 points from that, so his contact has been worse overall but not as much as people think. Meanwhile, he's shown incredible power on top of it.

I like Trey, but he's not doing anything special right now.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
I'm a fan of Micah Johnson, but I've yet to see any prospect guru say he's a top 100 guy. I also think not having big time steal numbers this year will prevent him from getting more hype. Davidson's going to have to go on a big time hot streak to get his numbers to be worthy of a top 100 ranking as well. As for Hawkins, I just have a feeling that enough gurus think his hit tool is so awful that they won't rank him. Montas has a better shot of being ranked than Hawkins or Johnson.

Give it a little bit more time, Micah's biggest knocks were the potential inability to stay at 2B and his struggles against LHP. He is now a stones throw away from the show and still at the keystone and from everything I've read it appears the organization is going to let him play it out until his glove forces their hand. As for LHP he has been respectable against them he just needs to drive the ball more (.267/.353/.267 - .620).

I would agree that the fact he has pedestrian steals this year will go against him if he doesn't start to turn the corner but the organization might have told him to focus less on his steals and more on his defense and hitting.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 23, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
You crazy!

:wub:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
I just don't understand though - what is it about Trey that makes you think he can and Hawkins can't?

In 405 career plate appearances, Michalczewski's at a career 25.7% K rate. Hawkins was awful last year, but even with a 37.2% K rate for the year last year, his career percentage is down 6 points from that, so his contact has been worse overall but not as much as people think. Meanwhile, he's shown incredible power on top of it.

I like Trey, but he's not doing anything special right now.

Don't get me wrong, Hawkins is definitely the better prospect based on his tools; there's no question about that. However, Trey has shown a consistent ability to draw walks and has managed to improve without completely hitting a wall due to his mechanics and/or pitch recognition. Hopefully, as he gets older he'll start to develop a more pronounced power tool and become a bigger prospect.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 23, 2014 -> 10:15 PM)
Don't get me wrong, Hawkins is definitely the better prospect based on his tools; there's no question about that. However, Trey has shown a consistent ability to draw walks and has managed to improve without completely hitting a wall due to his mechanics and/or pitch recognition. Hopefully, as he gets older he'll start to develop a more pronounced power tool and become a bigger prospect.

Trey have been developing quite nicely, esp without a lot of people noticing the improvement. according to his

profile, the baseball guru has mentioned that his power will develop, maybe not Hawkins prediction. I still

don't know about Anderson, yes I know what they are predicting, but I am looking at the stat and makeup of

how he is doing now.

I would like to see how Hawkins, Trey and Anderson are doing at the all star break.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 23, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)

That was Hawkins' rating was coming into last season.

He's going to have a huge fight on his hands to overcome last year's wave of criticism (think White Sox fans overlooking Dunn's 2011 for reference to how scouts were taken aback by Hawkins, even though most will acknowledge he was rushed a level too quickly in retrospect).

Davidson also has an uphill battle to figure in somewhere between 80-100, and he is simultaneously fighting against an additional 15-20 players who are being drafted this summer.

Anderson has the raw ability, but there are doubts about him sticking at SS. He's still the most likely to be ranked (in the Top 100, of all our prospects) after the #3 guy in the draft.

If we somehow got Fedde or Hoffman at 44, they might be in the last 10.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)

Agreed. That's why I have Hawkins #4 and Michalczewski #6. And as another poster said earlier, the gap between the top 4-5 prospects and the rest is huge.

However, if you put a gun to my head to asked me to put a percentage on Hawkins ever hitting 10 major league home runs, I would say 15% or worse at this point. Very real and scary bust potential due to his hit tool.

Edited by southside hitman

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
I'm guessing no one else in this draft is coming close:

1. Rodon

2. Anderson

3. Johnson

4. Danish

5. Hawkins

6. Adams

7. Sanchez

8. Davidson

9. Michalczewski

10. Ravelo

Tempted to switch Adams and Sanchez but otherwise pretty firm with those.

Johnson velo is puzzling. If he gets back where he should be that would be great for our pitching.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
Johnson velo is puzzling. If he gets back where he should be that would be great for our pitching.

That's Micah Johnson. Erik Johnson graduated this year. But I agree, Johnson needs to figure out his velocity and get bak to what he did last year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
That's Micah Johnson. Erik Johnson graduated this year. But I agree, Johnson needs to figure out his velocity and get bak to what he did last year.

Oh my bad lol. How long are players considered prospects?

I'm very excited for Micah.