Possible Suitors for Gordon Beckham

GGajewski18

As I posted some time ago, I think the Sox are going to contend for a wild card late into the season -- perhaps all the way -- and won't be making the moves that everyone predicted before the season began.

Gordon Beckham, with the offense he's bringing at this point, is part of the solution, not the problem.

Alexei Ramirez isn't going anywhere, as he's playing like the second best SS in the game right now.

Adam Dunn, as the only real lefty power hitter in the Sox lineup, with decent production and some clutch hits, isn't getting traded during the season. In fact, I think it's likely he gets a new two-year deal in the offseason, albeit at much less money than he's making now.

Conor Gillaspie has earned the right to play out the season at 3B. But there's still value in having Matt Davidson in the wings. Frankly, if Davidson were ready, the guy he should replace on the roster, right now, is Paul Konerko, who isn't carrying his weight.

The guys the Sox should move are De Aza and Konerko, as they are the worst hitters on the club at the moment. Even Leury Garcia beats their OPS numbers.

Konerko won't retire early, unfortunately. And the Sox will likely need to make a trade or a wire pickup to replace De Aza. I expect this latter move to happen near the All-Star break if De Aza is still scuffling along under .200.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
As I posted some time ago, I think the Sox are going to contend for a wild card late into the season -- perhaps all the way -- and won't be making the moves that everyone predicted before the season began.

Gordon Beckham, with the offense he's bringing at this point, is part of the solution, not the problem.

Alexei Ramirez isn't going anywhere, as he's playing like the second best SS in the game right now.

Adam Dunn, as the only real lefty power hitter in the Sox lineup, with decent production and some clutch hits, isn't getting traded during the season. In fact, I think it's likely he gets a new two-year deal in the offseason, albeit at much less money than he's making now.

Conor Gillaspie has earned the right to play out the season at 3B. But there's still value in having Matt Davidson in the wings. Frankly, if Davidson were ready, the guy he should replace on the roster, right now, is Paul Konerko, who isn't carrying his weight.

The guys the Sox should move are De Aza and Konerko, as they are the worst hitters on the club at the moment. Even Leury Garcia beats their OPS numbers.

Konerko won't retire early, unfortunately. And the Sox will likely need to make a trade or a wire pickup to replace De Aza. I expect this latter move to happen near the All-Star break if De Aza is still scuffling along under .200.

While most of this is enlightened, in this posters humbled opinion... Attendance should negate more moves than one. Follow my signature leads to more insight for my perspective.

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
While most of this is enlightened, in this posters humbled opinion... Attendance should negate more moves than one. Follow my signature leads to more insight for my perspective.

hello my friend, while it is great to read great comments from other sox fans, the 1 thing I notice this

rebuilding yr is no sense of urgency from the front office. is it possible b/c the fans realize as well that some

hard time if coming. imho acquiring the great talent of Jose A is softening the rebuilding.

this yr the sox front office has said rebuild ..... the window of opportunity is now for some trades to happen. if

we can find the right trading partner. do you, the fans think that nothing is going to be done until the draft?

here is a question I need help with the answer, if we traded more players and by default, we scale back on the

salary, are we going to get our hands slap by the baseball front office??? I taking about how over the weekend

the sCrubs were mention and how the commish is looking at them. so does that mean we too should be looked

at as well???

hello my friend, while it is great to read great comments from other sox fans, the 1 thing I notice this

rebuilding yr is no sense of urgency from the front office. is it possible b/c the fans realize as well that some

hard time if coming. imho acquiring the great talent of Jose A is softening the rebuilding.

this yr the sox front office has said rebuild ..... the window of opportunity is now for some trades to happen. if

we can find the right trading partner. do you, the fans think that nothing is going to be done until the draft?

here is a question I need help with the answer, if we traded more players and by default, we scale back on the

salary, are we going to get our hands slap by the baseball front office??? I taking about how over the weekend

the sCrubs were mention and how the commish is looking at them. so does that mean we too should be looked

at as well???

Salary dump trades generally happen between June 15-July 31. It's going to be a few more weeks before teams figure out what their chances of contending are and what they are willing to give up to fill their needs. Also, the Sox don't really have a lot of salaries they need to dump. Dunn is the obvious one to be shopped, since he's the highest-paid player on the team and has an expiring contract. Danks has the next biggest salary, but also has 2 more years on his deal, so it's not quite clear whether or not trading him makes sense.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2014 -> 06:31 AM)

at as well???

I don't believe it was the Commish that was looking at them, I think it was the players union, whose job it is to increase player's salaries, so I wouldn't look much into that.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)

at as well???

The only way that would happen is if we went the route of the Marlins/Astros and sold off everything (including guys like Sale and Quintana).

The reason they raised MLBPA's ire in particular is revenue sharing. If they get $40 million from MLB and they spend $30 million on salaries, then the union has a valid point that the revenue sharing isn't helping small market teams be competitive because they're just pocketing the money.

We really have no payroll issues at all. We have only one bad contract (Danks), and he's managed to remain effective enough to at least hold down a rotation spot. That we could simply cut Keppinger is evidence that the front office agrees.

Anyway, the effect of that should be that the front office should NOT feel pressured to eat salary. It should all about maximizing talent this year.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
We really have no payroll issues at all. We have only one bad contract (Danks), and he's managed to remain effective enough to at least hold down a rotation spot. That we could simply cut Keppinger is evidence that the front office agrees.

Anyway, the effect of that should be that the front office should NOT feel pressured to eat salary. It should all about maximizing talent this year.

We'll see.

We have a ton of games on the road in the month of June, with Abreu back starting on Monday.

Downs and DeAza, in particular, are the ones under the most scrutiny for the moment.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
This team won't contend with this pitching staff.

This team isn't far out of contention with the pitching staff it has. Noesi and Danks last couple starts have been promising and it seems that they may be on track. If the team is still hanging around in July, it may make sense to go out and find another starter, but until then it gives EJ and Paulino time to try and rebound to competency.

Personally, I think putting any additional resources into making the postseason this year is folly as it would likely cost assets that you would like to remain in your core for the next 5 years. I really expected this team to hit a wall at some point playing so many new starters, and while it appears Eaton has, Garcia and Semien are now out and have been replaced by veterans producing at a level consistent with their expectations.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
We'll see.

We have a ton of games on the road in the month of June, with Abreu back starting on Monday.

Downs and DeAza, in particular, are the ones under the most scrutiny for the moment.

The combined salaries of Downs + De Aza are comparable to what the White Sox ate with Jeff Keppinger. They're nothing.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
This team isn't far out of contention with the pitching staff it has. Noesi and Danks last couple starts have been promising and it seems that they may be on track. If the team is still hanging around in July, it may make sense to go out and find another starter, but until then it gives EJ and Paulino time to try and rebound to competency.

Personally, I think putting any additional resources into making the postseason this year is folly as it would likely cost assets that you would like to remain in your core for the next 5 years. I really expected this team to hit a wall at some point playing so many new starters, and while it appears Eaton has, Garcia and Semien are now out and have been replaced by veterans producing at a level consistent with their expectations.

I think EJ will be in the rotation, Paulino-not so much.

Also Micah Johnson will be a MLB player at some point full time so we have to figure out where to put him and who gets moved.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)

There will be no Abreu's or Tanaka's and the FA pool is below average to pretty bad, so the Sox may have to take on some bad salary to maximize the return they get in a trade.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 29, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
There will be no Abreu's or Tanaka's and the FA pool is below average to pretty bad, so the Sox may have to take on some bad salary to maximize the return they get in a trade.

At this point last year I'm pretty sure I hadn't heard Tanaka's name once.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

There was a lot of talk about him. I'm sure you had heard of him, but probably dismissed it because at least at that point, there appeared zero chance the Sox would even bid. If you were a Yankee fan, you probably would have heard of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
The combined salaries of Downs + De Aza are comparable to what the White Sox ate with Jeff Keppinger. They're nothing.

What I mean is how patient will Hahn/FO and Ventura be with them...neither of them are part of the long-term future of the team, as you can make an argument both ways about Beckham (who additionally has Semien/Sanchez/Micah Johnson all thundering up behind him).

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)

As it stands now, you play this season out like they did in 2012. You don't trade any components you feel are key to your future, but if you give up pieces like the Sox did then - Stewart, Lillibridge, Heidenreich, Walters, Hernandez, and Escobar - you don't think twice about it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I think EJ will be in the rotation, Paulino-not so much.

Also Micah Johnson will be a MLB player at some point full time so we have to figure out where to put him and who gets moved.

I wonder if the Sox prefer Johnson or Semien, they both are both in play for the same roster spot down the road. To me, it seems they prefer Semien, otherwise he would be in AAA being showcased for a trade as I think they are doing with Micah at this point. They have three MLB or near MLB ready 2B and really only room for one, so I think there will be a couple of deals involving Beckham and Johnson before opening day 2015.

Yes, EJ has a much better shot at rejoining the rotation, but I was never as high on him as some around here, but I think he can develop into a capable back end of the rotation starter.

I feel like the key is to not panic and push too many chips in to compete at a fringe level this season. Keep building up the system with astute pickups like Rondon, Montas, Danish, Michalzewski, and such, and build the depth of the organization to a point where it is able to produce ML talent on an annual basis and allow the team to trade off veteran assets to fill gaps like bringing in Avisail last season.

BOSTON — The Yankees may be targeting Masahiro Tanaka as their big free-agent splash this winter, and they may be doing so at the perfect time.

Yankees assistant general manager Billy Eppler spent time in Japan last month (September, 2013), getting a look at Tanaka. According to reports out of Japan, the Rangers, Red Sox and Diamondbacks were among the other teams that have scouted the righthander in person in recent months.

So at the latest, August/September last year.

http://www.thegreedypinstripes.com/2013/05...iro-tanaka.html

Here's an article from last May.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
BOSTON — The Yankees may be targeting Masahiro Tanaka as their big free-agent splash this winter, and they may be doing so at the perfect time.

Yankees assistant general manager Billy Eppler spent time in Japan last month (September, 2013), getting a look at Tanaka. According to reports out of Japan, the Rangers, Red Sox and Diamondbacks were among the other teams that have scouted the righthander in person in recent months.

So at the latest, August/September last year.

http://www.thegreedypinstripes.com/2013/05...iro-tanaka.html

Here's an article from last May.

To my mind, it feels like Tanaka has been talked about for a couple of years now.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)
I wonder if the Sox prefer Johnson or Semien, they both are both in play for the same roster spot down the road. To me, it seems they prefer Semien, otherwise he would be in AAA being showcased for a trade as I think they are doing with Micah at this point. They have three MLB or near MLB ready 2B and really only room for one, so I think there will be a couple of deals involving Beckham and Johnson before opening day 2015.

Yes, EJ has a much better shot at rejoining the rotation, but I was never as high on him as some around here, but I think he can develop into a capable back end of the rotation starter.

I feel like the key is to not panic and push too many chips in to compete at a fringe level this season. Keep building up the system with astute pickups like Rondon, Montas, Danish, Michalzewski, and such, and build the depth of the organization to a point where it is able to produce ML talent on an annual basis and allow the team to trade off veteran assets to fill gaps like bringing in Avisail last season.

The problem is that our only (current) asset which gets you the aforementioned/highlighted players is Alexei Ramirez.

If the White Sox really know who they're projecting and where out of the Micah Johnson/Semien/Carlos Sanchez group...you can package one of those guys with someone else, but you're obviously going to be selling low on Marcus.

Gordon Beckham's only 27 and COULD be in the prime of his career...although many times hopes have been raised, only to be cruelly dashed against the rocks of despair/frustration with him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

I did a little checking after Tanaka signed to see who the next big thing from Japan would be, sounds like they have a couple of younger guys that will likely come over eventually, but are probably 4-5 years away - Shohei Otani hit triple digits in HS and was looking at jumping to the MLB directly from HS before eventually deciding to stay with the Nippon Ham-fighters. He is now 19 and is playing both ways as a RF. The guy that will likely be posted next winter is Kenta Maeda, and he projects to be a back of the rotation arm.

Micah Johnson could be our CF of the future, and Semien may play SS when Lexi is traded. If Beckham has finally figured it out (doubtful, but possible), we could have room for all three on the same team.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
Micah Johnson could be our CF of the future, and Semien may play SS when Lexi is traded. If Beckham has finally figured it out (doubtful, but possible), we could have room for all three on the same team.

Johnson could be, but if that was the Sox line of thinking you would think that they would have started the process of working him in the OF. If you move Semien to short, that adds Carlos Sanchez into the mix as being an extra asset.