2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
Hayward's not a $14 million/year player.

I think I understand why an exec said Butler could get the max now. If Hayward can get a max, I don't see why Jimmy Butler can't.

Hayward averaged 16, 5 and 5 last year on a s***ty team. Butler averaged 13, 5 and 2 without 2 of the Bulls' best offensive players. I'd give more money to Hayward too.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
Hayward averaged 16, 5 and 5 last year on a s***ty team. Butler averaged 13, 5 and 2 without 2 of the Bulls' best offensive players. I'd give more money to Hayward too.

Both had pretty much the same shooting efficiency last year. Butler's a much better defender. If you thought Butler couldn't shoot last year, Hayward wasn't any better. 41% overall, 30% from 3 compared to Butler's 40% and 28% from 3.

Not sure I'd be willing to give anywhere near max money to a guy like Hayward. He's shot better before, but that was when he wasn't taking 13 shots a game.

I'm not really much of an NBA fan anymore. I usually skim through this thread just for the entertaining arguments and people freaking out over whatever somebody else says.

So I gotta ask, Where's Steve?

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
I'm not really much of an NBA fan anymore. I usually skim through this thread just for the entertaining arguments and people freaking out over whatever somebody else says.

So I gotta ask, Where's Steve?

Steve is in tahiti. I expect him back tomorrow

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 5m

ESPN has learned, meanwhile, that Bulls officials are headed to LA on Thursday for sitdown with their top target after Melo: Pau Gasol

I don't really like the idea of Pau as anything other than a replacement for Taj should he be traded. Or maybe if Mirotic is coming over anytime soon/gets traded.

Way I see it is Taj/Mirotic should get all the PF minutes, and Jo still should still be getting 35 min per game....How much are we gonna pay for a guy who sees ~14 per game?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
I don't really like the idea of Pau as anything other than a replacement for Taj should he be traded. Or maybe if Mirotic is coming over anytime soon/gets traded.

Way I see it is Taj/Mirotic should get all the PF minutes, and Jo still should still be getting 35 min per game....How much are we gonna pay for a guy who sees ~14 per game?

There are two trends this offseason post Spurs:

- More rest for veterans

- shooting shooting shooting

Last year taj would double up as C often. I think they'd like lineup versatility of Pau-Noah and Pau Gibson, also Pau/Mirotic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)

- More rest for veterans

Last year taj would double up as C often. I think they'd like lineup versatility of Pau-Noah and Pau Gibson, also Pau/Mirotic

I still wonder if Pau is actually part of the plan with Melo. Lakers are very open to S&T possibilities. Interesting thing is Melo will be in LA tomorrow as well. Only way I'd want Pau is short-term and not at the 10-12 M number that has been thrown around. I'd rather add a wing player + Mirotic with our cap space.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)

- More rest for veterans

lol. Post Spurs? Would you guys stop. More rest for veterans? Pop has been managing minutes for the big three since before anybody knew who Justin Bieber was. Last year was nothing new. Shooting? Floor spacing has been critical for at least half a decade now as defensive schemes have gotten better. This is not a new era of basketball now because the Spurs beat the evil Heat.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
lol. Post Spurs? Would you guys stop. More rest for veterans? Pop has been managing minutes for the big three since before anybody knew who Justin Bieber was. Last year was nothing new. Shooting? Floor spacing has been critical for at least half a decade now as defensive schemes have gotten better. This is not a new era of basketball now because the Spurs beat the evil Heat.

I'm basing this off of the stories of coaches getting players to buy into less minutes this offseason, and the premium teams are paying for shooting this offseason.

It may not be a new era, but it is what is driving the offseason. Are you really going to try and act like previous finals successes don't influence what teams do for the next year? Do you remember everyone needing to get small?

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
I still wonder if Pau is actually part of the plan with Melo. Lakers are very open to S&T possibilities. Interesting thing is Melo will be in LA tomorrow as well. Only way I'd want Pau is short-term and not at the 10-12 M number that has been thrown around. I'd rather add a wing player + Mirotic with our cap space.

If Bulls wanted Pau for Sign and Trade to send to KNicks...why would they be meeting with him?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
I'm basing this off of the stories of coaches getting players to buy into less minutes this offseason, and the premium teams are paying for shooting this offseason.

It may not be a new era, but it is what is driving the offseason. Are you really going to try and act like previous finals successes don't influence what teams do for the next year? Do you remember everyone needing to get small?

The Heat could get away with being small because they have a transcendent player in LeBron. No team has ever won a title while being that undersized. The '11 Mavs probably had more shooters, or at least just as many, as the '14 Spurs. Point is shooting has been critical for years and teams have been paying for it before this offseason.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
If Bulls wanted Pau for Sign and Trade to send to KNicks...why would they be meeting with him?

Pau wouldn't be going to the Knicks. Lakers would be there to get some assets and help both teams potentially unload some expiring contracts. The question is would the Lakers really be that interested in helping to facilitate that. Say the Lakers ended up with JR Smith & Carlos Boozer (+ Nik / draft picks) and the Knicks ended up with Tony Snell + non-guaranteed.

Lakers win in the sense that they keep their flexibility moving forward while adding an asset like Nik (however, at an expense; technically Boozer gives them a solid low post presence for the year though as well and they have to spend some money on someone). Knicks are happy cause they get Snell and unload JR Smith. Bulls are happy cause they get Melo and Gasol.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
So a guy heard from another guy watching TV sometime recently that Windhorst said on ESPN that Pau wants to be part of a Package deal with Melo

He said that this morning.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)

A caller on the score literally just brought this scenario up and I was coming here to bring it up....Makes a lot of sense IMO.

We'll see if that holds up or not. I guess it all comes down to what indications they have received. I don't think Pau is the #1 piece you bring in, I like the idea of him, but with another good player. Windhorst keeps reporting that Pau views Bulls as the place to be if they land Melo. No idea if they share representation, if they do, that would be great.

I don't buy into what Stein says. I think people are just looking at it and coming up with that as one potential scenario.

More I think about it, I have a hard time for JR to justify amnestying Boozer to sign an older player like Gasol to big-money. While Gasol is better, there are risks with Gasol (injuries, etc). I would think the only way Pau comes here (without Melo) is through a S&T w/Lakers with Boozer going to LA. I just can't see JR justifying the amnesty to sign Gasol at big money. If we did miss out on Melo, I would look at guys that could be 1 year pick-ups to go back through this whole process again in a year as we'd still have flexibility at that point.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
More I think about it, I have a hard time for JR to justify amnestying Boozer to sign an older player like Gasol to big-money. While Gasol is better, there are risks with Gasol (injuries, etc). I would think the only way Pau comes here (without Melo) is through a S&T w/Lakers with Boozer going to LA. I just can't see JR justifying the amnesty to sign Gasol at big money. If we did miss, I would look at guys that could be 1 year pick-ups to go back through this whole process again in a year as we'd still have flexibility at that point.

Ya, if they can't get Melo/Lebron/Parsons I'd just wait till next year and make a play for Love(assuming he doesn't get traded and signed elsewhere).

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 2, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
Ya, if they can't get Melo/Lebron/Parsons I'd just wait till next year and make a play for Love(assuming he doesn't get traded and signed elsewhere).

I'm not giving Parsons 10+M per season. If I don't sign these guys, I bring over Nik and opt for vets like a Pau / Pierce at reasonable 1 year deals (hoping they are chasing rings). Stephenson is the only guy I'd give 10M to that is out there not named Bosh / Lebron / Melo. And that is because I happen to think there is a lot of upside with Lance. Unfortunately, there is some serious downside risk too.