2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't watched nearly as much college basketball as usual, but a few random comments...

-I think you have to take Towns #1. Okafor is a phenomenal scorer down low, but is limited in other areas. I don't even think his rebounding is that great, at least on the defensive end. He just kind of stands there most of the time.

-You gotta love Russell's skills, but I'm not sure if he's athletic enough to be a star. An interesting thing I found a while ago watching draft express videos is the huge disparity in his stats based on quality of opponent. I believe his TS% was like 64 against teams below .500 and 53 against teams above .500. I like him, not sure if I love him.

-I don't really get the Justice Winslow love. Yeah, he's a nice athlete, but he never really jumped out at me when I watched Duke. If he blows up, it will probably take a few years like Jimmy Buckets.

-It would have been interesting to see where Mudiay would have gone if he had played in college. I think he might be a steal.

-Several interesting bigs after 10. I'm not sure they'll turn into anything, but guys like Myles Turner, Trey Lyles and Bobby Portis at least look like lottery picks.

Zoom. What about Russell doesn't appear to be athletic. He tested pretty well. His game pace is what deceives people. Being the entire OSU team offensively hurt him bad against quality opponents but he's still going to be turnover prone for a few years in the NBA. He's not quite a polished PG yet.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
I haven't watched nearly as much college basketball as usual, but a few random comments...

-I think you have to take Towns #1. Okafor is a phenomenal scorer down low, but is limited in other areas. I don't even think his rebounding is that great, at least on the defensive end. He just kind of stands there most of the time.

-You gotta love Russell's skills, but I'm not sure if he's athletic enough to be a star. An interesting thing I found a while ago watching draft express videos is the huge disparity in his stats based on quality of opponent. I believe his TS% was like 64 against teams below .500 and 53 against teams above .500. I like him, not sure if I love him.

-I don't really get the Justice Winslow love. Yeah, he's a nice athlete, but he never really jumped out at me when I watched Duke. If he blows up, it will probably take a few years like Jimmy Buckets.

-It would have been interesting to see where Mudiay would have gone if he had played in college. I think he might be a steal.

-Several interesting bigs after 10. I'm not sure they'll turn into anything, but guys like Myles Turner, Trey Lyles and Bobby Portis at least look like lottery picks.

completely agree on Winslow. Watched so much Duke this year and never once do I remember saying, wow I really want him for my team. Opposite for Jones and Okafor.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 06:40 PM)
KC indicating this will be the finalized coaching staff. Myers is officially coming back to Chicago. IIRC, Drose really liked Pete.

Fred Hoiberg - head coach

Jim Boylen - associate head coach

Pete Myers - assistant coach

Mike Wilhelm - assistant coach

Ed Pinckney - assistant coach

Charlie Henry - video coordinator

I know two of these people

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
PG- Dragic

SG- Wade

SF- Deng

PF- Bosh

C- Whiteside

That's the 2nd best lineup in the East, if it happens.

It looks good on paper if everything goes right (kind of like the Bulls last year, though probably more upside). They also don't have much depth, which is an issue considering Wade will miss at least 20 games we don't know how Whiteside will handle 30 MPG for an entire season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
Zoom. What about Russell doesn't appear to be athletic. He tested pretty well. His game pace is what deceives people. Being the entire OSU team offensively hurt him bad against quality opponents but he's still going to be turnover prone for a few years in the NBA. He's not quite a polished PG yet.

Unless draft express is lying to me, Russell didn't do the athletic testing at the combine. I take those with a grain of salt anyways. It's more than he's not a guy that's regularly going to finish above the rim or blow past people purely on speed. He relies on craft more than athleticism. It's worked for guys like Harden and Curry, but I'm not a smart enough evaluator to know how well things will work for Russell.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)
Unless draft express is lying to me, Russell didn't do the athletic testing at the combine. I take those with a grain of salt anyways. It's more than he's not a guy that's regularly going to finish above the rim or blow past people purely on speed. He relies on craft more than athleticism. It's worked for guys like Harden and Curry, but I'm not a smart enough evaluator to know how well things will work for Russell.

He has a 40 inch vert with a huge wingspan. He crosses dudes up with quickness. Harden is a pretty good comparison though. Manu as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
He has a 40 inch vert with a huge wingspan. He crosses dudes up with quickness. Harden is a pretty good comparison though. Manu as well.

Like I said, I take raw testing numbers with a grain of salt because it's not a game setting. Guys have as much time and space as they want, which is why OJ Mayo can test better than Russell Westbrook.

I like his skills and think he's going to at least be an above average starter. My question isn't so much if he's going to stick, but whether he's going to average 16-4-4 or 25-5-6.

Dekker still on the board. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls take him at 22.

Edit: Nevermind, Houston took him at 18. Hopefully we can get Grant

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:44 PM)
With Grant gone can the Bulls take Tyus Jones?

If Dallas doesn't take him. I think Dallas is definitely going to take a PG.

Grant was intriguing because he's a combo guard. Jones is strictly a PG.