2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
He could choose to just take a Bulls 1 year offer. If he accepts any other teams deal, then we match and he's with us at least 3 years. Reality is he probably works something out with the Bulls for a 4 or 5 year deal with an opt out in 2 years but I don't know if the Bulls are going to play hard ball and see if he really waits and signs for super cheap. If he did sign super cheap this year, might change things as Bulls could find a way to get cap space and be major players and then hope to sign someone else and then you can just pay massive tax and use the bird rights on Jimmy Buckets after you win the title.

PS: If Butler and Rose don't get along, Rose is gone. Find a way but Jimmy is the Alpha on this squad. All that said I hope they can both make amends and would think with Rose's personality they probably could.

The problem though is that if Jimmy Butler is your best player, you can't win a title.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
He could choose to just take a Bulls 1 year offer. If he accepts any other teams deal, then we match and he's with us at least 3 years. Reality is he probably works something out with the Bulls for a 4 or 5 year deal with an opt out in 2 years but I don't know if the Bulls are going to play hard ball and see if he really waits and signs for super cheap. If he did sign super cheap this year, might change things as Bulls could find a way to get cap space and be major players and then hope to sign someone else and then you can just pay massive tax and use the bird rights on Jimmy Buckets after you win the title.

PS: If Butler and Rose don't get along, Rose is gone. Find a way but Jimmy is the Alpha on this squad. All that said I hope they can both make amends and would think with Rose's personality they probably could.

How? In all seriousness what NBA team is looking at Derrick Rose and wanting a part of that? Unless we get back an equal, or worse, contract, it ain't happening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
How? In all seriousness what NBA team is looking at Derrick Rose and wanting a part of that? Unless we get back an equal, or worse, contract, it ain't happening.

Rose will be a FA by the time I anticipate Butler will be in his potential walk year (2-3 years from now), so even if you can't trade Rose immediately, he'll be away and you can turn franchise to Butler. And if Rose is healthy next year, Bulls will be able to trade him (if that was what was needed). If he wasn't healthy, it is a moot point because it is Butler's team anyway (since Rose is hurt). All that said, I think both guys will end up pushing each other to be better and I've said this numerous times but I expect Rose to be much better this upcoming year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)

Agreed. If there is any truth to these rumors, see ya Derrick. But like you said, I'll worry about that when the time actually comes. For now, Jimmy is stuck with us for at least 1 year (which, btw, would be stupid and a huge gamble on his part if he only takes the 1 year tender offer).

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
Has anyone other than Cowley or Bernstein reported on this mythical beef?

No, but KC Johnson had an article addressing it using only Gar Forman as his source denying it. which leads me to believe it is true and there is a huge beef. I thi k KC Johnson seems like a good writer but he has proven to be incredibly out of touch with the real rumblings of the team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
No, but KC Johnson had an article addressing it using only Gar Forman as his source denying it. which leads me to believe it is true and there is a huge beef. I thi k KC Johnson seems like a good writer but he has proven to be incredibly out of touch with the real rumblings of the team.

It is no secret that KC is the front office mouthpiece

Bulls officially offer Butler qualifying offer and max qualifying offer. This means we have officially offered Butler a max deal. Could all of the posturing on his side been a way to ensure he actually received the full max offer (presume it was a foregone conclusion but you never know). Would be so awesome if Jimmy just signed the full max qualifying. Either way, Butler either accepts a shorter term deal from a non Bulls team (shortest another team can offer, prior to any opt out clauses is 3 years) or he takes the Bulls max offer or he takes his qualifying offer and plays for peanuts for 1 more year before becoming an unrestricted free agent.

On a sidenote, it wasn't that long ago that Butler was in LA for an ESPN appearance (after we had gotten knocked out of the playoffs) and they asked Jimmy about going elsewhere and he said he intended to stay in Chicago and how the Bulls were the one organization who drafted him and saw talent in him and was their from the beginning, etc. Not sure if that was before or after Thibs was fired though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
On a sidenote, it wasn't that long ago that Butler was in LA for an ESPN appearance (after we had gotten knocked out of the playoffs) and they asked Jimmy about going elsewhere and he said he intended to stay in Chicago and how the Bulls were the one organization who drafted him and saw talent in him and was their from the beginning, etc. Not sure if that was before or after Thibs was fired though.

on a timeline.... how was that in with the time he spent with the Entourage movie crew and didn't he went to Europe with then on their press junket??

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Bulls officially offer Butler qualifying offer and max qualifying offer. This means we have officially offered Butler a max deal. Could all of the posturing on his side been a way to ensure he actually received the full max offer (presume it was a foregone conclusion but you never know). Would be so awesome if Jimmy just signed the full max qualifying. Either way, Butler either accepts a shorter term deal from a non Bulls team (shortest another team can offer, prior to any opt out clauses is 3 years) or he takes the Bulls max offer or he takes his qualifying offer and plays for peanuts for 1 more year before becoming an unrestricted free agent.

We will get a much better idea of how true all of the rumors are now. If he signs the full deal, the rumors are total BS. If he signs the shorter deal, then we still have to wonder if he wants out, or just a shot at a new max deal in a couple of years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
We will get a much better idea of how true all of the rumors are now. If he signs the full deal, the rumors are total BS. If he signs the shorter deal, then we still have to wonder if he wants out, or just a shot at a new max deal in a couple of years.

a very good point and observation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)

I think the only one that I'd be concerned about if I were a Bulls fan, would be if he took the 1 yr deal (paid roughly 4-5M for one year and then becomes a UFA), because at that point, Jimmy can go wherever he wants. He could still very much think the Bulls are #1 but you'd have to contend with everyone and he could at that point sign a long term deal with an opt out a year in to go through the whole process again.

I think most realistic scenario is he'll sign a deal with someone else w/4 years (opt out after 3 years) at whatever the max deal is and then the Bulls will match it and we'll go through this process after 3 years. I presume Bulls won't put an opt-out any sooner then year 3 on any deal they offer him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
Bulls supposedly have Belinelli and Stuckey on their lists of FA targets. Both would be real nice fits. I am curious if they'll look at Ben Gordon as a vet min bench guy.

I saw Caron Butler mentioned too as a guy for the minimum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
Vincent Goodwill ‏@vgoodwill 31m31 minutes ago

The maximum QO for Jimmy Butler is the right strategy by the Bulls. Prevents S/T, Limits options to very few. Game of chicken it appears

If he wants to be here he will be here. If he doesn't want to be here then why force him?