White Sox at Twinkies

BigHurt3515

Letting Webb start a second inning, with the powerful Arcia up was just a ridiculous decision to start with. It was like Ventura was more concerned about Escobar batting that inning than anyone else. This team has put in far too much effort this year, only to continually be let down by a horrible manager.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:28 PM)
He's been just awful this season also. Him and Ventura kept getting caught unprepared for what might happen next.

That's fine if you wanna see he's been horrible as well. I just don't think Ventura should be the only one catching heat when I can almost bet that Coop has a big say in managing the pen.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 03:30 AM)
#TheRoadToAProtectedDraftPickSoWeCanSignShieldsOrSomeoneLikeThat might not be as catchy as #TheRoadToRodon but it could be just as crucial

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I will root for progress and the core of the organization to do well. If they happen to lose games those...it's not crushing like in 2006 or 2008.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)
Hate rooting for an organization that is so loyal that it seems on field performance means nothing in terms of job security.

Hate rooting for an organization that hires a novice with absolutely no experience to manage their big league club without even doing due diligence of interviewing any other candidates.

Scary thought (the Sox have got to make sure he doesn't achieve this), as posted on mlbtraderumors:

White Sox reliever Scott Downs would see his 2015 option vest if he appears in 55 games this year and does not end the season on the DL, reports MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes (via Twitter). The 39-year-old southpaw has seen action in 35 contests (after tonight’s outing), meaning that he has just 20 left to go to trigger the $4.25MM option

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)
In Webbs last 7 multi inning outings he had allowed 0 rounds.

Hey it wasn't the wooorst idea to start him there but u couldn't afford him to keep throwing after the walk. Easy to see that and I also agree that coop plays a huge role there too so it's on him also

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 04:39 AM)
In Webbs last 7 multi inning outings he had allowed 0 rounds.

In the 8 games he's allowed runs, 5 of them have been multiple innings. His WHIP in these long outings has not been good either.

QUOTE (iguchi=dank @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 04:42 AM)
Hey it wasn't the wooorst idea to start him there but u couldn't afford him to keep throwing after the walk. Easy to see that and I also agree that coop plays a huge role there too so it's on him also

Again, where's Putnam? Why hasn't the best reliever on the team thrown a single pitch in a time game the last two nights?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I will root for progress and the core of the organization to do well. If they happen to lose games those...it's not crushing like in 2006 or 2008.

I still remember that stupid Jenks/Carlos Gomez game in 2008 down the stretch and the feeling that moment...in the last couple of years, you just pretty much expect to lose.

Perhaps we're so used to losing now and seeing everything go wrong in the 7th-8th-9th inning that nothing surprises anymore.

You hardly ever see a comment like the one Paul Sullivan made in this Sox article on chicagosports.com about last night's game

Do the Sox need a second lefty in the pen to relieve the pressure on Downs?

"We could have used 'Downsie' in that situation but Joe is good against lefties," Ventura said. "That isn't necessarily the one (we would bring a lefty in to face). But there are times when it would be nice to have another one down there but our (right-handers), some guys are good against lefties."

Actually Mauer was hitting .220 against lefties with no home runs in 91 at-bats.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4864096.story

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
You hardly ever see a comment like the one Paul Sullivan made in this Sox article on chicagosports.com about last night's game

Do the Sox need a second lefty in the pen to relieve the pressure on Downs?

"We could have used 'Downsie' in that situation but Joe is good against lefties," Ventura said. "That isn't necessarily the one (we would bring a lefty in to face). But there are times when it would be nice to have another one down there but our (right-handers), some guys are good against lefties."

Actually Mauer was hitting .220 against lefties with no home runs in 91 at-bats.

Haha.. Robin doesn't have a damn clue out there!!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)

Stunningly incompetent.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:43 PM)
In the 8 games he's allowed runs, 5 of them have been multiple innings. His WHIP in these long outings has not been good either.

And he's allowed the same amount of runs in 1 inning games. Pitching him multi innings has worked the last 7 times out, it just didn't work out this time, it sucks, but that's baseball.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just pointing it out.. I think some of the hindsight bashing is ridiculous on this board.

That's the question...how assiduously do Cooper and Ventura really look at those current stats and comb through them when looking at bullpen match-ups?

Ventura's a lot like Harrelson in that sense. His memory of previous seasons overrules what his eyes are seeing in the current season. It's like his brain can't synthesize both pieces of independent information.

So we have this prevailing idea that Mauer is nearly equally dangerous against lefties (as righties) because he had a 740 OPS in 420 at-bats from 2011-2013 against lefties. But his overall OPS during that time was 838 with an 885 OPS against righties.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
The quote is a little ridiculous but Mauer is batting .429 vs Downs....So there's that.

If it's just 3 for 7, that's one thing. 6 for 14 or 9 for 21 would closer to a statistically-valid pattern.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
That's the question...how assiduously do Cooper and Ventura really look at those current stats and comb through them when looking at bullpen match-ups?

Ventura's a lot like Harrelson in that sense. His memory of previous seasons overrules what his eyes are seeing in the current season. It's like his brain can't synthesize both pieces of independent information.

So we have this prevailing idea that Mauer is nearly equally dangerous against lefties (as righties) because he had a 740 OPS in 420 at-bats from 2011-2013 against lefties. But his overall OPS during that time was 838 with an 885 OPS against righties.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: anything Robin "gives" as far as team chemistry he takes wrt to tactics and strategy. He goes by his gut when he should go "by the book" and he goes "by the book" when he should go with his gut. The Mauer quote illustrates that perfectly. Do some damn research or have a guy whisper it in his ear.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
Extending the hapless Ventura, to me, is Hahn's major goof as GM. Of course, that could have been forced from above.

That is more JR and KW than Hahn.