what return would alexei net?

ron883

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
is it safe to assume alexei would net a player similar to what jeff samardzija got the cubs? i think the time to deal alexei is NOW.

They won't get anyone of that caliber. Maybe a top 100 guy. You can't really trade Ramirez unless you get a really good deal though. Maybe like a top 100-150 type, someone from a system's 6-10 range, and a couple of flyers.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
is it safe to assume alexei would net a player similar to what jeff samardzija got the cubs? i think the time to deal alexei is NOW.

Not even remotely close.

IMO, the best case scenario for Alexei is the Jake Peavy-esque return from last year -- one back-end top 100 guy and a handful of interesting flyers.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Not even remotely close.

IMO, the best case scenario for Alexei is the Jake Peavy-esque return from last year -- one back-end top 100 guy and a handful of interesting flyers.

Then he shouldn't be traded.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
They won't get anyone of that caliber. Maybe a top 100 guy. You can't really trade Ramirez unless you get a really good deal though. Maybe like a top 100-150 type, someone from a system's 6-10 range, and a couple of flyers.

I'm not sure I would call that a good deal. I think bare minimum you have to get one top 100 prospect (preferably in the 60 to 75 range) to even consider moving Alexei. Whether or not that's possible I don't know, but positional scarcity should help somewhat.

Despite Hawk's insane overhyping, Alexei is a top 10 SS and signed to an affordable contract. You don't just give a player like that away, you've got to get some value in return or else you wait to the offseason when there may be more interested parties.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Exactly. Unless Colorado puts Tulo on the market, Alexei is by far the best SS that is available, and if teams aren't willing to pay accordingly then there is absolutely no reason to deal him.

Whatever we get back ought to be good enough that when we hear Carlos Sanchez is the starting SS for next season, we say "ok".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:26 AM)

I think I would make that deal. It's not that Alexei isn't good, it's that he's not as good as his hot start and that he's old enough that he's likely to decline over the next few years. I'm not sure that 34/35 year old Alexei is that much better than 24/25 year old Carlos Sanchez with a couple seasons under his belt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)

Exactly. We have two more years under control for Ramirez. If someone wants to overpay, you send him. If not, you bring him back. At absolute worst, the guy is a plus defender, and someone who doesn't hurt you at the plate.

Alexei would have net us a Samardzija like return about a month and a half ago, but his BA dropped about 50 points since then. Nonetheless, I would like to see a pitching or catching prospect ranked in or just outside the Top 100, and I think that's realistic.

People are forgetting Semien already, I think he can still cut it as a SS. Quietly, he picked up himself bounced back nicely in Charlotte since demotion.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
Alexei would have net us a Samardzija like return about a month and a half ago, but his BA dropped about 50 points since then. Nonetheless, I would like to see a pitching or catching prospect ranked in or just outside the Top 100, and I think that's realistic.

People are forgetting Semien already, I think he can still cut it as a SS. Quietly, he picked up himself bounced back nicely in Charlotte since demotion.

Exactly. He's easily the best SS that will be available. I think of the Mariners, and they have interest in Viciedo too.

So if I'm Hahn, I would offer Alexei and Viciedo for Taijuan Walker, Brandon Maurer, Gabriel Guerrero, and Tyler Pike.

I think a Samardzija like return is asking for too much unless the Sox package another player with him. The Cubs traded Shark and Hammel to get Russell (plus those other pieces, which are nothing to be scoffed at).

Also, Alexei Ramriez is 32 years old. He turns 33 by the end of the season. Samardzija is 29 and doesn't turn 30 till the offseason.

Maybe if the Sox included someone like Gillaspie they could get that return, but that's about it.

I also have no problem with a Peavy-esque return for Ramirez whatsoever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
I think a Samardzija like return is asking for too much unless the Sox package another player with him. The Cubs traded Shark and Hammel to get Russell (plus those other pieces, which are nothing to be scoffed at).

Also, Alexei Ramriez is 32 years old. He turns 33 by the end of the season. Samardzija is 29 and doesn't turn 30 till the offseason.

Maybe if the Sox included someone like Gillaspie they could get that return, but that's about it.

I agree. The Peavy return still netted the Sox Avisail Garcia who was a top 100 prospect in the 50-60 range I believe. If we can package in Viciedo or another player like my proposal above, I think we really can net that package for Alexei and Viciedo.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)

That's fine, if we don't get a top 10 in MLB prospect that's ok, but if we can't get somewhere in the range of top 25-ish or couple top-100 then I don't have any good reason to listen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
That's fine, if we don't get a top 10 in MLB prospect that's ok, but if we can't get somewhere in the range of top 25-ish or couple top-100 then I don't have any good reason to listen.

What'd you think of my proposal then?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)

I think Rick Hahn does though. :)

I think we're overvaluing Alexei a bit on here. I'm not saying they don't have the right to ask for a lot, but even if not all of the guys pan out, the Sox got a great return for Peavy last year and I'd gladly take a similar package again.