what return would alexei net?

ron883

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 07:14 PM)
All I got out of your post is that you really dislike Avisail Garcia....I have a feeling that you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting a more talented prospect than Garcia in return for Alexei.

I don't dislike him at all. In fact I somewhat like him. I'm just not buying into the hype that he's somehow a sure thing to be a superstar. I think he has a pretty good chance to be a productive player and a chance that he may be star. But I also think there is a chance he becomes a disappointment.

But again my point is that you should expect to get more of a return for an All-Star SS who rarely ever gets a day off signed to a reasonable contract than the return we got for an overpaid injury prone pitcher.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)
SS is a premium position and Alexei is among the best in the league, is only 32 years old and is under control for two ore sesons at a reasonable salary. The Sox have no one in the organization pushing him, so they have no reason to trade him unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

If some contender wants a top level SS like Alexei to put them over this season plus be under team control the next two seasons, they better be willing to cough up more than a flawed prospect like Garcia, an outfielder with poor defense who is big and strong but has never hit for much power and who has great speed but already seems to have lost a half step and is probably going to lose more speed as he gets heavier and older. He may have been rated as a top 50 prospect by somebody, and he may turn out to be a productive player yet, but for Alexei the Sox better get a top 50 prospect that is more of a complete player and has proven more than Garcia has to this point. Plus a few more good prospects.

I don't understand how you can say "only 32". Most players, especially shortstops, don't stick around until they are 40 like Jeter. I agree that no one is currently "pushing" him, but there are young alternatives with upside available.

If you like Garcia then why are you so quick to judge him as a flawed player. He's a 22/23 year old that was having a pretty good start to the season and it seemed like most everyone was excited about him. I wouldn't sell short on Montas, Rondon, or Wendelken either. He seems to be struggling more of late but he has generated decent interest as the 4th best player in that return.

Again, I'm not necessarily saying Alexei should be traded, but that's the type of return I was expect and that I would be good with.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 05:10 AM)
Unless we get a mouthwatering deal, I wouldn't move Alexei. I reckon Hahn sees him and Abreu as the heart of the infield and is building around them.

I think this would be true if Alexei was 27/28 as well but he'll be 33 by season's end so I would trade high with Alexei because his contract adds a lot of value to him, aside from already being one of the best shortstops in the game currently.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 05:10 AM)
Unless we get a mouthwatering deal, I wouldn't move Alexei. I reckon Hahn sees him and Abreu as the heart of the infield and is building around them.

He will be a FA right in the middle of your window of contention, and if he is not going to be re-signed it is time to start auditioning his replacements and determine whether or not Sanchez or Semien can stick at the position, at the same time help fill some holes in the organizational depth chart so that there are more players ready to contribute off the farm when holes develop on the ML level.

That said, I am not sure there is a big enough market for a SS to make it worthwhile to trade him during the season. The Mets, Mariners, Reds, and Pirates are all possible destinations, but the Yankees and possibly Dodgers will join the bidding in the off-season.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 06:01 AM)
If Hanley wrist is broken, dodgers might then be interested in Alexi. Prospects galore in that system

That would be a very interesting situation since he's a pending FA that everyone assumed they'd extend.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Pederson or Urias would have to be included in any deal.

That's absurd. The Dodgers have plenty of prospects that could make it work. You are talking about two of the best prospects in the entire game. If they were going to trade either one of those guys, they could be in the discussion for someone like Tulowitzki.

People need to understand that just because Alexei Ramirez is going to likely be the best shortstop made available on the market, the Sox will not be getting top 25 prospects. They can get a perfectly acceptable and generous package of talented prospects without getting the #1 and #2 prospects from some of the best systems in the game.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
Even if Hanley is out, they still can extend him, play Alexei at SS and Dee Gordon at 2B.

I'd want Pederson, Lee and Reed for Alexei

And I want $10,000. That's not going to happen.

Lee and Reed seems to be a feasible package from the Dodgers perspective, but the Sox would likely need one additional prospect. That one additional prospect is not Joc Pederson or Julio Urias.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
Even if Hanley is out, they still can extend him, play Alexei at SS and Dee Gordon at 2B.

I'd want Pederson, Lee and Reed for Alexei

You are not getting a top 20 prospect, let alone with other prospects in a package for a 33 year old SS whose OPS is barely over .700 and playing in one of the most hitter friendly parks.

Just did a quick research, Alexei has a triple slash of .213/.250/.281 in 41 games since June 1st, with 1 HR and 6 RBI

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

If the Sox and Twins weren't intradivisional rivals, would you expect them to trade Buxton or Sano for Alexei? Better yet, would anyone here trade Carlos Rodon for Alcides Escobar? That is essentially what you'd be asking the Dodgers to do if they traded Urias or Pederson for Ramirez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
That's absurd. The Dodgers have plenty of prospects that could make it work. You are talking about two of the best prospects in the entire game. If they were going to trade either one of those guys, they could be in the discussion for someone like Tulowitzki.

People need to understand that just because Alexei Ramirez is going to likely be the best shortstop made available on the market, the Sox will not be getting top 25 prospects. They can get a perfectly acceptable and generous package of talented prospects without getting the #1 and #2 prospects from some of the best systems in the game.

Then you don't make the deal if you are Rick Hahn.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Then you don't make the deal if you are Rick Hahn.

That's crazy. It's been said several times already, but the Sox are not going to get a top 25 prospect for Alexei Ramirez. Just because you can't get a top 25 prospect doesn't mean you don't work towards making a deal. He's seemingly improved as a hitter the past couple years, but he's already starting to slide a bit defensively, and it frankly will not be long before he is a utility player similar to Placido Polanco.

Another name worth mentioning is Darnell Sweeney. I have no idea how the Dodgers feel about him, but he's had an absolutely fantastic year and is age appropriate for the AA level. His BB%, K%, and power have all improved this year, and he appears to be a fantastic athlete.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)

Agree with you.

Holding out for top 10 prospects for a good, not great, player like Alexei is howling at the moon.

Hahn is in a position where he can hold onto ARam. He doesn't have to move him to move him especially because we have a question mark on who'd replace him and adequately. But Ramirez is an All-Star SS. I don't think we'd get a top 25 prospect but I'm hoping maybe the Mariners give up a package of Franklin, OF Wilson, and someone else. We should start hearing what they want. And I've heard they want the moon.

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

The other thing worth mentioning is that the Sox may also be in contact with the Yankees about setting up a potential deal for Alexei to New York. The Sox can scout the Yankees minor leagues like crazy and identify 8-10 guys they like and then try and get 2-3 of them for Alexei in the offseason with the caveat of moving him if they do get a certain level of talent this deadline.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
That's crazy. It's been said several times already, but the Sox are not going to get a top 25 prospect for Alexei Ramirez. Just because you can't get a top 25 prospect doesn't mean you don't work towards making a deal. He's seemingly improved as a hitter the past couple years, but he's already starting to slide a bit defensively, and it frankly will not be long before he is a utility player similar to Placido Polanco.

Another name worth mentioning is Darnell Sweeney. I have no idea how the Dodgers feel about him, but he's had an absolutely fantastic year and is age appropriate for the AA level. His BB%, K%, and power have all improved this year, and he appears to be a fantastic athlete.

The Sox are looking to infuse a higher level of talent into their system. If they aren't going to get it, then you hold on to the consolation prize of two years of Alexei. I'm fine with that. We don't need more C level prospects.

The White Sox don't have an heir apparent in their system to Alexei. Trading him for decent, not great prospects considering he has a fairly team friendly contract for the next couple of years seems like something people want because they like new names, but next year at this time will be wondering why they did that.

Unless a team wants to overpay, having a quality SS on your team really isn't a burden. The White Sox shouldn't be into the waste another year of Sale, Abreu, Q business to pick up the Leury Garcias the world. (Even though I do like Leury a lot more than others, and think he can be a really nice piece off the bench for a winning team)

Actually hurting your defense up the middle, with a new SS and most likely a new 2B, isn't helping your pitching at all. So you better be getting some really good pieces or it makes no sense.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
Agree with you.

Holding out for top 10 prospects for a good, not great, player like Alexei is howling at the moon.

With the dearth of talent in the majors at the major league level at the position of SS, Alexei is a hugely valuable commodity. People are looking WAY too much at his batting stats instead of the whole package.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal · 24m

Featured in column: #Cubs/Price, #WhiteSox, #Phillies, #Yankees, #Tigers, #Angels/#Padres trade, #BlueJays, more.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/david-p...ago-cubs-072014

The link provides Sox trade candidates. As expected Alexei has the highest value and Beckham has little value at all.