7/23 Games

flavum

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
The Charlotte homer numbers are insane at their new park. Don't just look at Wilkins numbers, look up and down that line up. Danks is already at a career high too. Carlos Sanchez who had three homers in 5 years, has five homers. Takotte has gone from 4 homers to 11, in few ABs than last year. Davidson has more HRs already than he hit in the PCL all of last year.

If you look at some of the videos of his HRs though you'll see that many of them aren't cheapies that would be outs in half the parks. He hits the ball a long ways and they'd be HR's just about anywhere

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 05:55 AM)
7 games ago Wilkins with his "sweet swing" was an almost 26 year old hitting .251 with a below .300 OBP in AAA. While this streak he has been on is incredible, he has been pretty mediocre outside of these last 7 games.

Sox fans have a little something to get excited about for a position that will likely have a void soon and of course you want to come along and piss on it. Outside of pessimism, does anything at all make you happy?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 04:55 AM)
7 games ago Wilkins with his "sweet swing" was an almost 26 year old hitting .251 with a below .300 OBP in AAA. While this streak he has been on is incredible, he has been pretty mediocre outside of these last 7 games.

That's one way to look at Wilkins. Another is that for some reason, he got off to a horrible start this seaso, turning it on sometime in May. So from then on, his numbers are great. I don't know what caused the poor start -- injury perhaps? Don't know.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 05:55 AM)

This. Maybe he can eventually be a decent bench player. But he is barely a prospect. If we are thinking he could be a starter on the White Sox, we have serious problems.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:10 AM)
Whether he pissed on your happy story or not Dick Allen is more than likely correct. Wilkins is on an unprecedented run and once he's off this run he probably won't be expected to turn into much by anyone.

And just like dick, you put words in others mouths. Nowhere has anyone said it was a" happy story" . I will say this yet again as I did yesterday so here goes one more time. With what Sox fans have endured the last 3 1/2 seasons with Dunn , it's about giving a Wilkins a shot and nothing more. Nobody has said Wilkins IS the future and nobody has ignored the fact Wilkins is not a top prospect.

I agree its likely he does not develope into much but again, when you consider the position the Sox are in , what have they got to lose by bringing Wilkins up and see what he can do? Wilkins is 25/26 years old so he is old to be considered a spect but he is in the age group that fits with Hahn's plan so there's nothing to lose by giving him some at bats. Let him give Jose a break from playing first here and there.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)
And just like dick, you put words in others mouths. Nowhere has anyone said it was a" happy story" . I will say this yet again as I did yesterday so here goes one more time. With what Sox fans have endured the last 3 1/2 seasons with Dunn , it's about giving a Wilkins a shot and nothing more. Nobody has said Wilkins IS the future and nobody has ignored the fact Wilkins is not a top prospect.

I agree its likely he does not develope into much but again, when you consider the position the Sox are in , what have they got to lose by bringing Wilkins up and see what he can do? Wilkins is 25/26 years old so he is old to be considered a spect but he is in the age group that fits with Hahn's plan so there's nothing to lose by giving him some at bats. Let him give Jose a break from playing first here and there.

Up until this 7 game hot streak, Adam Dunn's current production on the major league level was actually better than Wilkins' production in AAA.

Call me names all you want. I've been more optimistic about a lot of players than many on this board.

It's not, however, about being optimistic or pessimistic. It's about being realistic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:24 PM)
To make the point, past HR leaders at Charlotte.

2012 Dan Johnson 28

2011 Steven Gartrell 26

2010 Steven Gartrell 27

2009 Michael Restovich 21

2008 Brad Eldred 35

I understand what you are getting at here, but this is somewhat misleading. Of that list, only Gartrell was ever considered a real prospect while in the Sox system. The other three were MiLB filler guys old for level.

Wilkins is not a high end prospect, but I'd still say he's a prospect, and his 25 HR in IL play (and we're still in July) do mean a lot more to me than what Johnson, Restovich or Eldred put up.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 06:31 AM)

At the very least, he should be rewarded for his recent hot streak.

It's good for the Sox minor leaguers to see that almost anyone can get an opportunity (for now) if they produce tangible results.

Whether he's a platoon placeholder or flames out in 2014, who knows? But anything's better than 2 more months of Dunn. And I'm not sure anyone thought Conor Gillaspie would still be holding down 3B four months into the 2014 season. Sometimes, players surprise. Not usually. But it's not beyond the realm of possibility, either.

In the end, we're already playing "most irrelevant game in MLB today" with the Twins, who cares? We're going to be replacing 2B, LF, C, DH and possibly SS in next year's line-up, so let's roll the dice.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)

It's good for the Sox minor leaguers to see that almost anyone can get an opportunity (for now) if they produce tangible results.

Whether he's a platoon placeholder or flames out in 2014, who knows? But anything's better than 2 more months of Dunn. And I'm not sure anyone thought Conor Gillaspie would still be holding down 3B four months into the 2014 season. Sometimes, players surprise. Not usually. But it's not beyond the realm of possibility, either.

In the end, we're already playing "most irrelevant game in MLB today" with the Twins, who cares? We're going to be replacing 2B, LF, C, DH and possibly SS in next year's line-up, so let's roll the dice.

For a guy with an .804 OPS (3rd on the team) Adam Dunn sure does get a lot of grief as a player who apparently people would rather see anyone else.

It's funny. I was accused of being pessimistic in the very thread a DH with an .804 OPS needs to be replaced immediately because he is just too painful to watch.

Wilkins has had an unreal week. But it is just a week.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)

You make very good points here Caulfield and I agree. Nobody is counting on Wilkins by any means, just willing to give him a shot over two more months of Dunn. I see nothing wrong with fans getting a little excited over a minor leaguer considering the disastrous 2013 season and a more than likey sub .500 this season. Wilkins hits lefty with pop, which is something the Sox can use. It doesn't mean he will produce but I see no harm in giving him a shot.

Great point with Connor too. Nobody thought much of him when he was acquired and nobody thought he would hit the way he has this year but he's been a pleasant surprise. He was given a chance and he appears to be developing at the major league level. I'm happy to have him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
For a guy with an .804 OPS (3rd on the team) Adam Dunn sure does get a lot of grief as a player who apparently people would rather see anyone else.

It's funny. I was accused of being pessimistic in the very thread a DH with an .804 OPS needs to be replaced immediately because he is just too painful to watch.

Wilkins has had an unreal week. But it is just a week.

It has nothing to do with his OPS or his production the last two months (or lack thereof). Comparing OPS in a vacuum doesn't help much either, because we all know Alexei Ramirez is worth 10X what Adam is despite a lower OPS.

It's all about 2015. Replaced immediately...maybe that's too strong, but why would it matter if he was, assuming they could get $2-4 million of salary relief at least?

Is there anyone who would care one way or the other if Dunn is gone? I would venture to say that more fans would come out to the ballpark to see youngsters who have the drive/fire/determination to prove themselves than someone playing out the string.

The White Sox are basically stuck between 4-8 games below .500 and nothing dramatic is going to change that, so what's the harm in finding out if Wilkins is capable of putting up an 800+ OPS against RHP?

If he does that, it means the White Sox could use their RH players (Garcia, Viciedo, Semien, etc.) next year in combination with Wilkins and save spending $10-15 million on a veteran DH.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
It has nothing to do with his OPS or his production the last two months (or lack thereof). Comparing OPS in a vacuum doesn't help much either, because we all know Alexei Ramirez is worth 10X what Adam is despite a lower OPS.

It's all about 2015. Replaced immediately...maybe that's too strong, but why would it matter if he was, assuming they could get $2-4 million of salary relief at least?

Is there anyone who would care one way or the other if Dunn is gone? I would venture to say that more fans would come out to the ballpark to see youngsters who have the drive/fire/determination to prove themselves than someone playing out the string.

The White Sox are basically stuck between 4-8 games below .500 and nothing dramatic is going to change that, so what's the harm in finding out if Wilkins is capable of putting up an 800+ OPS against RHP?

If he does that, it means the White Sox could use their RH players (Garcia, Viciedo, Semien, etc.) next year in combination with Wilkins and save spending $10-15 million on a veteran DH.

Why is it imperative Sox fans should watch mediocre players, and waste Chris Sale and Jose Abreu production for the sole purpose of saving JR some more money? There are overwhelming odds that if you don't care for Adam Dunn's production, Andy Wilkins isn't going to be very popular either.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)

You are basing this off like a 2 week hot streak. I want you to remember that.

If Dunn is traded (I believe he will be), I have no problem giving Wilkins a look for the remainder of the season, but counting on him as anything but insurance next year is crazy talk. I might actually prefer Jim Thome as the Sox full time DH.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
You are basing this off like a 2 week hot streak. I want you to remember that.

If Dunn is traded (I believe he will be), I have no problem giving Wilkins a look for the remainder of the season, but counting on him as anything but insurance next year is crazy talk. I might actually prefer Jim Thome as the Sox full time DH.

Now that's crazy talk. Baines or Ventura would be better.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2014/...torrid-hitting/

Recap posted. Obviously covers suddenly controversial Andy Wilkins, but great performances from Brandon Brennan, Luis Martinez, Jose Barraza, and Mason Robbins.

Brennan is a guy I could see popping next year and being on the radar. He was a pretty high round pick with intriguing stuff. But he came in raw (1 year college pitching), then missed a year with his TJ surgery and recovery. But if he can get back 100%, he's still an arm worth keeping an eye on, despite being pretty much forgotten by most.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Brennan is a guy I could see popping next year and being on the radar. He was a pretty high round pick with intriguing stuff. But he came in raw (1 year college pitching), then missed a year with his TJ surgery and recovery. But if he can get back 100%, he's still an arm worth keeping an eye on, despite being pretty much forgotten by most.

I found this scouting rpt on Brennan.

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p3165

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Mason Robbins having a nice short season in his debut. He was a big hype guy out of HS.

Adam Engel is still one of the most overlooked prospects in the system to me. He does have some strange splits though, last year he had an OPS against LHP at .900 while this year he's .892/.568 against RHP/LHP. I should note that this year's sample is inflated by a 38 PA stint in the AZL where he dominated to the the tune of a 1.175 OPS. Regardless, it's strange to see his success rate drop so heavily against LHP being a RH hitter. In Kanny only, his K% is at 25.8% and he's walking at a 9% clip so he's got some work to do as far as contact goes. He is 22 years old and playing with a bunch of younger guys at Kanny, but he's on a tear now that he's healthy again. Over his last ten games, Engel has a a slash of .378/.440/.711/1.151 with a K% down to 14.6% in those 48 PAs. Obviously a very small data set, but this is coming from a guy with elite speed who is known for his defensive prowess.

All about the hit tool for Engel. If he can make decent contact and hit for a bit of an average, he's a legit significant prospect. But that is a big question with him.