Actual Baseball Trade Rumors From Legitimate Non-Imaginary Sources

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Contract

Also I know there are errors in this I diont care to fix them TYVM

The Dodgers just signed Darwin Barney after he was DFA'd and released by the Cubs. At this point in time, Beckham and Barney are essentially interchangeable parts. Hell, you can go acquire Willie Bloomquist to be your everyday 2B and there's virtually no difference. Beckham is just a guy right now.

Now, try and go sign a left handed bat that puts up a .243/.378/.461/.839 against RHP. You can't do it.

Dunn > Beckham. There's not a shred of doubt in my mind.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I hope they prove me wrong and at least pick up a serviceable upper minors C for Danks. Doesn't have to have much ceiling, but I don't want to pay Tyler Flowers anymore.

Silly, you aren't paying Tyler Flowers anything!

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Jayson stark rumblings and grumblings from espn

• More scouting sightings: As the White Sox listen to offers on John Danks, they've been eyeballing the farm systems of the Yankees, Blue Jays and Red Sox.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/traded...nder-jon-lester

Interesting comment about the Red Sox...

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I hope they prove me wrong and at least pick up a serviceable upper minors C for Danks. Doesn't have to have much ceiling, but I don't want to pay Tyler Flowers anymore.

Flowers is serviceable; we can rent a serviceable vet. We have serviceable prospects with Nieto and Smith.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Is it just me or has this been the most boring lead-up to a deadline, like... omg... EVA!

Seriously though, there has been so little legitimate info, league-wide, not just the Sox. The only stories are seemingly what writers can piece together based on deductive reasoning.

Yeah, it's been crazy quiet, but maybe that's a good thing. We'll see.

I hope the next CBA they push it back to mid-August, and make that the only trade deadline. With about 40 games left, teams should be stuck with what they have in their organization.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Why? What value does Gordon Beckham have to anyone?

I don't even like Dunn but that is complete nonsense. To go as far as saying at the same pay, Beckham is more valuable is completely laughable. Below average defensively and offensively. Dunn isn't going to get us a great chip but he's worth more then Beckham.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
I don't even like Dunn but that is complete nonsense. To go as far as saying at the same pay, Beckham is more valuable is completely laughable. Below average defensively and offensively. Dunn isn't going to get us a great chip but he's worth more then Beckham.

Pay is a factor though. Beckham is at the peak of his value. There isn't any surplus there. There might even be some deficit there.

For Dunn, he is paid WAY over his value. That's why he is still here. Even then, his skill set has gone by the wayside in the game today. Teams aren't paying for just DH's to hit homers, walk, and strike out. Mark Reynolds couldn't even get a major league contract this spring. He had to take a minor league deal with the promise of a couple of million dollars if he made the 25 man roster.

I think for Dunn his contract value is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of what he is making now. Unless the Sox pick up a large chunk of his dollars, he won't move. Beckham could still move without any dollars picking up, at the expense of the return for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
Pay is a factor though. Beckham is at the peak of his value. There isn't any surplus there. There might even be some deficit there.

For Dunn, he is paid WAY over his value. That's why he is still here. Even then, his skill set has gone by the wayside in the game today. Teams aren't paying for just DH's to hit homers, walk, and strike out. Mark Reynolds couldn't even get a major league contract this spring. He had to take a minor league deal with the promise of a couple of million dollars if he made the 25 man roster.

I think for Dunn his contract value is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of what he is making now. Unless the Sox pick up a large chunk of his dollars, he won't move. Beckham could still move without any dollars picking up, at the expense of the return for him.

Why does anyone think the Sox won't pick up a large chunk of his salary?

Because his salary is high, he will make it through waivers without being claimed after the deadline. There isn't the same urgency for him to be moved in the next 2 days. Waiting into August allows for 1) the Sox to prove they really aren't in contention 2) a 1B/DH on another team to get injured

TUC what about the Sox being buyers at the deadline (please simpletons, refuse the temptation to point out our record and the amount of teams in front of us)? What about a package of hot Wilkins & Co for a stud RH pitcher? 2015 is almost here and we desperately need a RH badass. A RHBA makes us a championship contender instantly, well almost.

I still think we are really close to being really good.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Why does anyone think the Sox won't pick up a large chunk of his salary?

Because his salary is high, he will make it through waivers without being claimed after the deadline. There isn't the same urgency for him to be moved in the next 2 days. Waiting into August allows for 1) the Sox to prove they really aren't in contention 2) a 1B/DH on another team to get injured

The Sox have a much longer history of dumping salary for lesser returns than they two of picking up salary for larger returns. Could it be different? Sure. Odds are not very good though, so I am going with the side of history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
The Sox have a much longer history of dumping salary for lesser returns than they two of picking up salary for larger returns. Could it be different? Sure. Odds are not very good though, so I am going with the side of history.

Gotta hope the Cannibalization of Kepp signals a change.

Reds are fading, already committed big coin to Bailey, put Cueto on the block, could happen. Would love to buy out his option with a big extension on a prearranged deal. Don't know if what we've got would be of any interest.

Yeah, no way.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen