2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
Not sure where you have heard about a $15M qualifying offer. Melky currently makes $8M per year and is a 3+ WAR player.

Why would Toronto let him go so easily if he's that valuable?

With gregerson guys used to setup their entire careers rarely have a simple conversion to the closer's mentality.

We are not going to spend twenty million on miller to be Matt Thornton in his prime.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 03:35 AM)
Desmond Jennings and Eaton in the OF, find a LH DH (maybe Adam Lind), buy one of the best "second tier" starting pitcher options and finally add your two relievers (both with closer's stuff, but not overpaying for the likes of Miller or Gregerson).

Lind's team option is just 7.5 million. Would assume Toronto picks that up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
Maybe LaRoche if the Nationals have to move Zimmerman to 1B...or Zimmerman.

Not easy to find a LH hitter unless it's Kendrys Morales.

If we can trade for a legit impact hitter to play LF/RF, I'm ok with Morales at DH on a dirt cheap 1 year deal. Still would say he would be a plan B or more likely plan C signing, but I'd rather start the season with him at DH than Viciedo or Wilkins.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
If we can trade for a legit impact hitter to play LF/RF, I'm ok with Morales at DH on a dirt cheap 1 year deal. Still would say he would be a plan B or more likely plan C signing, but I'd rather start the season with him at DH than Viciedo or Wilkins.

If we fill the OF role somehow then there suddenly are multiple options for the LH/DH spot is probably the most important takeaway from that.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
That's a lot of spending money this offseason if true

I debated posting that article, but finally decided, there was no actual information within it. It is all speculation, from the very first word being "If", all of the way to the end.

We don't know that the Sox will support the same expenditures, as we know revenues were down this year. There was less advertising and less fans at the park.

We don't know that they will take the money which had been allotted to the farm system and directly place them into the major league payroll. What it to stop that money from going to something else? Maybe it goes to Jeff Keppinger to finish his buyout? Maybe it goes to an upgrade inside the ballpark? Maybe it covers losses from this year?

As you read that article just remember, there isn't a single new quote from Rick Hahn, Kenny Williams, and/or Jerry Reinsdorf in there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
I debated posting that article, but finally decided, there was no actual information within it. It is all speculation, from the very first word being "If", all of the way to the end.

We don't know that the Sox will support the same expenditures, as we know revenues were down this year. There was less advertising and less fans at the park.

We don't know that they will take the money which had been allotted to the farm system and directly place them into the major league payroll. What it to stop that money from going to something else? Maybe it goes to Jeff Keppinger to finish his buyout? Maybe it goes to an upgrade inside the ballpark? Maybe it covers losses from this year?

As you read that article just remember, there isn't a single new quote from Rick Hahn, Kenny Williams, and/or Jerry Reinsdorf in there.

There was an additional $25 million in TV revenue. And the Sox don't pay for upgrades to USCF. And JR said in an earlier interview that the team will make money this season.

Granted, we don't know what the payroll will be. It might be $120 million. It might be $85 million. It probably all depends on what they can get done with the guys they want on the team.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
"Multiple media sources are reporting that Washington will decline Adam LaRoche's 2015 option."

Should we give him a chance? He's 34, so hopefully on a 2 or 3 year deal, and he's that LH 1B/DH we'll need.

I'd say he's one of several options, but whether he makes sense or not will also depend on what happens in the OF and any other trade surprises that happen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
There was an additional $25 million in TV revenue. And the Sox don't pay for upgrades to USCF. And JR said in an earlier interview that the team will make money this season.

Granted, we don't know what the payroll will be. It might be $120 million. It might be $85 million. It probably all depends on what they can get done with the guys they want on the team.

Yup, regardless of where the 2015 number actually comes in at, it's pretty clear we can easily afford a $95M to $100M payroll next year if not more.

The question really comes down to whether or not Hahn will have enough attractive opportunities to spend all this money.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
"Multiple media sources are reporting that Washington will decline Adam LaRoche's 2015 option."

Should we give him a chance? He's 34, so hopefully on a 2 or 3 year deal, and he's that LH 1B/DH we'll need.

I wouldn't want him for more than 2 years. He wouldn't be a bad option if it's 2 years and $16-$20 million.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I wouldn't want him for more than 2 years. He wouldn't be a bad option if it's 2 years and $16-$20 million.

I like the idea, the only thing that worries me a bit is he's clearly a better 1b than Jose but you're not going to dh Abreu at the moment.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
I like the idea, the only thing that worries me a bit is he's clearly a better 1b than Jose but you're not going to dh Abreu at the moment.

I'm not sure he's that much better than Abreu at 1B right now. He might have been better in his prime, but his fielding numbers have been below average the past few years.

Abreu was a DH for 35 games last year and didn't hit that much worse than when he played 1B. I don't think he's one of those guys that only hits when he plays the field. You can have LaRoche as the primary 1B and form some kind of platoon to give Abreu reps there as well.

And FWIW, Steamer has LaRoche's 2015 projection at .249/.344/.437 in 146 games.

Not exactly what you want out of your possible 4th or 5th hitter, but I think he can be had at an affordable price. Plus he's left handed.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
I'm not sure he's that much better than Abreu at 1B right now. He might have been better in his prime, but his fielding numbers have been below average the past few years.

Abreu was a DH for 35 games last year and didn't hit that much worse than when he played 1B. I don't think he's one of those guys that only hits when he plays the field. You can have LaRoche as the primary 1B and form some kind of platoon to give Abreu reps there as well.

Fair on LaRoche, I really didn't look into his defensive statistics this season so that's an oversight on my part.

With Abreu it's more that I don't think the Sox want to make him a primary dh at this stage whether he hits fine from that spot or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)

if you don't mind me adding, we, the fans knew this for how long? anything

new info?

Hahn has since mention that the sox are a lot closer to competing.

so that means the price has risen.