2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
Please tell me the Ryan Howard comment is a joke.

I cannot think of ANY scenerio that would make Ryan Howard playing for the Sox a good idea, none.

The Phillies pay 99% of his remaining salary and trade him for ~Nelvin Fuentes.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Even free, Ryan Howard is a wasted roster spot. No one who was mad we kept Konerko can want Ryan Howard. YOU CANNOT HAVE YOUR CAKE

I'd give him a shot as a DH if I didn't believe in Wilkins maybe with the hope that as a platoon DH he winds up being useful, but only if he's so cheap I can release him without a thought if he's putting up a .600 OPS in June.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Unquestionably. So would the Phillies

I just looked at Howard's contract on baseball reference and he's owed 25M each for 2015/16 and 23M for 2017 or a whopping 10M buyout! He will be 35 in November. This is just a horrible idea no matter how one tries to look at it. Philly is stuck with this contract no matter what.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
I just looked at Howard's contract on baseball reference and he's owed 25M each for 2015/16 and 23M for 2017 or a whopping 10M buyout! He will be 35 in November. This is just a horrible idea no matter how one tries to look at it. Philly is stuck with this contract no matter what.

How does Phillie GM Amaro keep his gig?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
How does Phillie GM Amaro keep his gig?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
I don't think he does. I think he's gone after the season.

Some interesting points made in this article I stumbled across. Gives a bit of some insight and understanding as to how Amaro still has his job.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/9/2/60997...ral-manager-job

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 12:27 AM)
Depending on what the Sox see, Masterson is a guy I could see the Sox targeting for a bounceback year.

same here. I can see a mutual agreement for 1 yr stopgap for the sox and a rebuilding yr for him.

even thou I would like 2 yrs.

Just tinkering around and IF the Sox sign VMart, I think this would be a good lineup:

Eaton - CF

A. Garcia - RF

Abreu - 1B

Martinez - DH

Gillapse - LF

Ramirez - SS

Semien - 3B

Flowers - C

Johnson - 2B

Before people call me nuts,

http://cornerthree.net/2014/07/29/the-batt...eir-teams-wins/

it combines metrics and traditional thought

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
You're nuts. Gilaspie is not being movethirds corner OF slot.

My mistake, but he dose have experience playing the outfield and I think Semien's glove would play better at third than Gillapsie.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
I agree with you, but he's not that nuts. Besides Gillaspie in LF, my only other issue with the lineup is Conor batting 5th instead of 2nd. I would swap Conor and Avi.

Did you read the article?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
Did you read the article?

Did you?

5th: Complete the “heart” of the order; a good power hitter........

Conor Gillaspie doesn't appear to be a good power hitter.

2nd: Guy who can drop a bunt or draw a walk.

Never seen Avi lay down a bunt, but he sure doesn't seem like a guy who will draw a walk that much.

No thanks on Gillaspie to LF. I know it's done for defensive purposes, but I'd rather see Semien in LF and Gillaspie stay at 3B.

With those guys and using that format the lineup should be...

1 Eaton

2 Semien

3 Martinez

4 Abreu

5 Garcia

6 Gillaspie

7 Ramirez

8 Johnson

9 Flowers

Which would be a damn good lineup, esp. if Semien can translate his ability to take a walk to the bigs. Eaton, Semien, and Martinez would be on base a lot in front of Abreu.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)
Did you?

5th: Complete the “heart” of the order; a good power hitter........

Conor Gillaspie doesn't appear to be a good power hitter.

2nd: Guy who can drop a bunt or draw a walk.

Never seen Avi lay down a bunt, but he sure doesn't seem like a guy who will draw a walk that much.

No thanks on Gillaspie to LF. I know it's done for defensive purposes, but I'd rather see Semien in LF and Gillaspie stay at 3B.

With those guys and using that format the lineup should be...

1 Eaton

2 Semien

3 Martinez

4 Abreu

5 Garcia

6 Gillaspie

7 Ramirez

8 Johnson

9 Flowers

Which would be a damn good lineup, esp. if Semien can translate his ability to take a walk to the bigs. Eaton, Semien, and Martinez would be on base a lot in front of Abreu.

It would be hard to take a good hitter like Conor out of an MLB lineup. He has a spot but not in the heart.

Second, the Sox are spending money. They hope to pick up probably one or two proven pen arms, and obviously someone in the rotation. Signing an actual middle of the order hitter will be more difficult. When they want to complete the payroll will be over 100 million IMO