2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
Disagree about Bassitt also BTW....Didn't show it in his start Saturday but as a starter dude has been good in the minors.

I didn't even get to see his MLB start. I'm going on what I know of him as a prospect, as I've been following him for years.

Bassitt has a nice fastball that runs 92-96 with life. He also has a slider that is getting better, but is still major league average if that. He also gets some deception from his delivery. The rest of his pitches are WIP's, and aren't major league caliber at this point. He's also tended to do a lot better against righties than lefties, lacking that change-up or cutter to equalize against them. As a reliever, this can be covered a bit better with fewer pitches.

It's possible he's a back end starter, but I think it is far more likely he's a 7th/8th inning reliever. And I do think he's got a good shot at doing well in that role.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
I didn't even get to see his MLB start. I'm going on what I know of him as a prospect, as I've been following him for years.

Bassitt has a nice fastball that runs 92-96 with life. He also has a slider that is getting better, but is still major league average if that. He also gets some deception from his delivery. The rest of his pitches are WIP's, and aren't major league caliber at this point. He's also tended to do a lot better against righties than lefties, lacking that change-up or cutter to equalize against them. As a reliever, this can be covered a bit better with fewer pitches.

It's possible he's a back end starter, but I think it is far more likely he's a 7th/8th inning reliever. And I do think he's got a good shot at doing well in that role.

Well it would appear that we'll get 4 or 5 more starts at the big league level to see what he's got. I know I don't follow the minors as closely as you do so it's hard to really argue with you. His hook looked real nasty in his start Saturday, and it's possible that Coop could help him add that Coop cutter.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
Well it would appear that we'll get 4 or 5 more starts at the big league level to see what he's got. I know I don't follow the minors as closely as you do so it's hard to really argue with you. His hook looked real nasty in his start Saturday, and it's possible that Coop could help him add that Coop cutter.

They're unlikely to be able to do too much teaching in the middle of September, but, hey, why not, what's to lose?

That said, if he's blocking Rodon from getting starts and they want Carlos for the rotation beginning opening week next year, it doesn't make sense, as they should be running Bassit out as a 7th-8th inning set-up guy in place of Belisario/Guerra and see how he does in that role, which is much more likely his future employment home...or as a long man, in the Carroll/Rienzo role from earlier in the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
They're unlikely to be able to do too much teaching in the middle of September, but, hey, why not, what's to lose?

That said, if he's blocking Rodon from getting starts and they want Carlos for the rotation beginning opening week next year, it doesn't make sense, as they should be running Bassit out as a 7th-8th inning set-up guy in place of Belisario/Guerra and see how he does in that role, which is much more likely his future employment home...or as a long man, in the Carroll/Rienzo role from earlier in the season.

It would appear that the Sox don't agree with this logic.

Way I see it, Rodon is a lock as a future piece of the rotation. What he does in September would be irrelevant long term. Bassitt is a question mark who could use the starts as an audition.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
I really don't think the White Sox have the starting pitching depth at this point to be trading Quintana, unless they are blown away with an offer.

Looking at next year, you currently have Sale, Quintana and Danks... and who? Some two from this list:

Hector Noesi

Carlos Rodon

Erik Johnson

Chris Beck

Scott Carroll

Bassitt is, to my eyes, a reliever (and could be a good one). So I don't include him.

Looking at those five, Rodon likely makes it, and Noesi can work as a #5. But that isn't exactly an ideal rotation anyway. Between Johnson and Beck, you'd think one of them may turn into something, but you don't know. If you trade Quintana, you really have a major pitching problem unless you acquire another arm.

the sox don't have depth in order to trade from. i am meaning quality depth

that would make the other team mouth water. the only 1 to use is the pitching.

the sox will have, hopefully a top 10 pick, who knows who they will pick. rodon

adams and others who are producing. this is the only area where the depth is.

re Johnson, again i hate repeating the same word is unknown. which

side are the sox going to see? the side of him struggling or the side of

him pitching well.

1 of the pitchers can net the sox top quality prospects in rtn.

QUOTE (professa @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)
Why would you trade someone from our area of weakness (pitching) for an area that is somewhat a strength (hitting) when you can address offensive needs through free agency without giving up a prospect? We have plenty of $$ to sufficiently address both areas.

name the strength you are mentioning. Beside Jose A and Aelxia.

ref free agents signing, do you not think other teams will be doing

the same thing?

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
ref free agents signing, do you not think other teams will be doing

the same thing?

I think this point gets overlooked a lot because it's so obvious, but this is why free agent signing isn't optimal. You have a 30 year old in Nick Markakis who could legitimately get anywhere between a 1 year, prove it sort of deal or a 4 year, fairly high AAV sort of deal, and anywhere in between. Note that those do not include the possibility of a QO which will hurt his value and remove a number of teams from his bidding as they will look to acquire someone else who does not cost a draft pick. Due to the complexity of the free agent market and having difficult evaluating it at this point in the process, it's hard to count on free agents. We had a few people on here indicating the Sox were going to be in the Hunter Pence sweepstakes too, and willing to bid a significant amount, until he re-signed with the Giants on a monster deal. They were going to be in on Brian McCann (and I think, either directly or indirectly, Hahn even mentioned his name) until the Yankees gave him a mega deal.

If you trade, you can typically work with 1 party and worry less about others. You pick up a little more certainty (both in terms of what it will cost both player and financially) and predictability in the trade market in exchange for giving up players you have for control. The Sox have favored that market a little more in the past.

It's going to be an interesting offseason, perhaps just as much if not moreso than last year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
We have no starting pitching depth at the major league level right now, trading Q is just an awful idea right now.

No that's whats free agency is for. Im trading Quintana, with the thought that Rodon will take his spot in the rotation some point during the season. I would sign Brandon McCarthy to a contract and he would be my new number 2 going forward in 2015, and I would sign Brett Anderon to a short term contract (2 years max) that is also heavy on incentives, and if he stays healthy and pitches well I would flip him at the deadline.

ROTATION:

Sale,

McCarthy,

Danks,

Noesi,

Anderson.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
No that's whats free agency is for. Im trading Quintana, with the thought that Rodon will take his spot in the rotation some point during the season. I would sign Brandon McCarthy to a contract and he would be my new number 2 going forward in 2015, and I would sign Brett Anderon to a short term contract (2 years max) that is also heavy on incentives, and if he stays healthy and pitches well I would flip him at the deadline.

ROTATION:

Sale,

McCarthy,

Danks,

Noesi,

Anderson.

That rotation is absolute and utter garbage.

Like, worst in the league by far garbage.

ROTATION:

Sale,

McCarthy,

Danks,

Noesi,

Anderson.

Hopefully you have 2-3 extra starters stashed somewhere because that is one fragile rotation.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
the sox don't have depth in order to trade from. i am meaning quality depth

that would make the other team mouth water. the only 1 to use is the pitching.

the sox will have, hopefully a top 10 pick, who knows who they will pick. rodon

adams and others who are producing. this is the only area where the depth is.

re Johnson, again i hate repeating the same word is unknown. which

side are the sox going to see? the side of him struggling or the side of

him pitching well.

1 of the pitchers can net the sox top quality prospects in rtn.

If you want a good tradeable asset, the one to look at (IMO) is Alexei. If the Sox feel that Sanchez or Semien (or both) is/are ready to be major league shortstops, Alexei will get you good value in return in a trade.

There are other pieces that could be traded as well, but either for lesser returns, or at the profound detriment of the starting rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
Hopefully you have 2-3 extra starters stashed somewhere because that is one fragile rotation.

You have Rodon, who I place in the bullpen to stsrt the season and I would move him to the rotation in Iate June or after the deadline.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)

ROTATION:

Sale,

McCarthy,

Danks,

Noesi,

Anderson.

I think this post actually is a great argument for why we shouldn't be so flippant with good starting pitching with good contracts.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
I think this post actually is a great argument for why we shouldn't be so flippant with good starting pitching with good contracts.

I think Quintana is overrated, I dont see a number 2, I see a 3/4 starter. What do you do when the market overvalues your assets more than you do? You work the market to your advantage and you make a move.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
I think Quintana is overrated, I dont see a number 2, I see a 3/4 starter. What do you do when the market overvalues your assets more than you do? You work the market to your advantage and you make a move.

How exactly do you value a guy who pitches like a #2, but it paid like a #5 or even a reliever, and is under team control for the next half decade?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)

Even if that is the case, you replaced this #3 starter that is paid like a #4 starter with a handful of #5 starters that we will need to pay like #3 starters. What have you seen from Brandon McCarthy this year that says "I'd be comfy with him as a #2".

I think you are vastly underrating Jose Quintana. I think it was beautox who made a comparison to Andy Pettitte, and frankly, that's not a bad comparison. And Andy Pettitte pitched very well for a very long time. You don't trade a guy who puts up numbers like that because you feel he's overrated. The stats say he is valued properly as a #2 starter statistically and he's being paid insanely well.

Frankly, if you trade Quintana for prospects, I feel like you may as well trade Sale and Abreu too. Quintana is probably the 3rd most important player (and, frankly, 3rd best player too) on the White Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
I think you are vastly underrating Jose Quintana. I think it was beautox who made a comparison to Andy Pettitte, and frankly, that's not a bad comparison. And Andy Pettitte pitched very well for a very long time. You don't trade a guy who puts up numbers like that because you feel he's overrated. The stats say he is valued properly as a #2 starter statistically and he's being paid insanely well.

Frankly, if you trade Quintana for prospects, I feel like you may as well trade Sale and Abreu too. Quintana is probably the 3rd most important player (and, frankly, 3rd best player too) on the White Sox.

Unless you get a superstar bat for him, I agree.

I'm not going to thrash you for your opinion but I am interested as to why you have that opinion?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Explain, I would love to hear your reasoning

B-Mac is a 32 year old, frequently injured pitcher that was mediocre the past few years other than his current run with the Yankees.

Hector Noesi is a #5 starter.

John Danks is overpaid and recovering from a huge injury. He's gotten very lucky this year.

Brett Anderson is often injured and completely up and down.

Sale is the lone bright spot until Rodon arrives.

ROTATION:

Sale,

McCarthy,

Danks,

Noesi,

Anderson.

So your number 2 starter is oft injured and has never made 30 starts in a season before this year (assuming he makes 2 more starts). You're #3 starter sucks. You're #4 starter has pitched like a #5 at best during his major league career and your #5 starter is guaranteed to get injured. That seems like a recipe for a great season.

Am I reading the last few pages correctly? Trade Q because he's overrated and merely a #3/4, keep Danks and his almost 5 ERA who's at best a #5, sign Anderson and McCarthy which both have injury histories only to kick Noesi to the curb despite making quite an improvement in a short amount of time? I'll ask again, am I reading this right? :huh: