2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 07:09 AM)
The only way you move Jose Quintana is if you are getting a true superstar hitter, and are giving out a big contract to a RHSP. So if Jose and others bring you Mike Stanton, sure. You don't deal him for prospects.

Another example besides Baez/Alcantara/Edwards would have been Gregory Polanco from the Pirates. I'd imagine quite a few would have been quite interested in a Polanco + ??? for Quintana move about half a year ago.

Some people just seemed to be obsessed with moving Q.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 04:17 AM)
Trading Quintana could be very beneficial for the Sox because both traditional scouts and sabremetricians love him, amd teams always over pay for pitching, especially if its an under 30 left handed pitcher who is among the league leaders in quality starts and is signed to very team friendly contract.

Example A: Why the hell would we trade a player that advanced stats and traditional scouts love that is a lefty, under 30, on a team friendly contract that produces great numbers?

He's 25. He can theoretically still get better.

Posted without comment

2012 ERA: 3.76

2013 ERA: 3.51 (200 IP)

2014 ERA: 3.44 (on pace for 197 IP)

Turns 26 on January 24

2015 salary: $3,400,000

2016 salary: $5,400,000

2017 salary: $7,000,000

2018 salary: $8,850,000

2019 salary: $10,500,000 (Team option or $1,000,000 buyout)

2020 salary: $11,000,000 (Team option or $1,000,000 buyout)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)

Example A: Why the hell would we trade a player that advanced stats and traditional scouts love that is a lefty, under 30, on a team friendly contract that produces great numbers?

I'd say Jose is at his absolute peak. I won't argue with that. I just don't subscribe to the theory that you HAVE to maximize asset value, and trade him. As I said, if you can get a superstar hitter, AND you are willing to spend on another top flight RHSP, then you do the deal.

Well, going by BP's WAR, he's the 8th best pitcher in baseball this year. Yes, he might get better, but nobody will complain about six more seasons exactly like this one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
The only way you move Jose Quintana is if you are getting a true superstar hitter, and are giving out a big contract to a RHSP. So if Jose and others bring you Mike Stanton, sure. You don't deal him for prospects.

I literally paused for a bit and said "Who"?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Another example besides Baez/Alcantara/Edwards would have been Gregory Polanco from the Pirates. I'd imagine quite a few would have been quite interested in a Polanco + ??? for Quintana move about half a year ago.

And of course, even though Polonco has shown flashes, he also struggled enough to be sent back down to work on his swing.

Which is why I would have not liked such a deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)
I'd say Jose is at his absolute peak. I won't argue with that. I just don't subscribe to the theory that you HAVE to maximize asset value, and trade him. As I said, if you can get a superstar hitter, AND you are willing to spend on another top flight RHSP, then you do the deal.

I'd have to have more than one prospect for him, I don't care who it is, and it would have to be at least two guys that filled a need and I really, really felt strongly about.

I think you always have to be willing to move pretty much anyone, but as someone else alluded to, you have to believe the package you receive in return will exceed what you are giving up, given Q's contract and consistency of high-level performance.

To me, that's two bats, not one, unless the one is truly a susperstar bat or something (which isn't going to happen).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)

Completely agree. Only way I'd move Q is to get a superstar hitter back. And the only one who MIGHT be on the market, that fits the Sox YOUNG core is Giancarlo Stanton. I think a package of Quintana, Montas, Micah Johnson, and Avi Garcia gets you in the conversation. Then sign a guy like Shields and you still have a decent rotation.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
Completely agree. Only way I'd move Q is to get a superstar hitter back. And the only one who MIGHT be on the market, that fits the Sox YOUNG core is Giancarlo Stanton. I think a package of Quintana, Montas, Micah Johnson, and Avi Garcia gets you in the conversation. Then sign a guy like Shields and you still have a decent rotation.

Given cost control and the price of the output, I wouldn't trade much more than Quintana himself for Stanton. He's a free agent after 2016 and he's going to cost $20+ mill a year (and it could be closer to $25 mill) to retain long term.

I think the most likely way a team trades for Stanton is a big package of prospects plus Garcia. I figured something like Anderson, Beck, Montas, Sanchez/Johnson/Semien, and Garcia gets you close.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
Given cost control and the price of the output, I wouldn't trade much more than Quintana himself for Stanton. He's a free agent after 2016 and he's going to cost $20+ mill a year (and it could be closer to $25 mill) to retain long term.

I think the most likely way a team trades for Stanton is a big package of prospects plus Garcia. I figured something like Anderson, Beck, Montas, Sanchez/Johnson/Semien, and Garcia gets you close.

If that gets you close, then the answer is "no". Garcia himself could provide 80% of what Stanton projects over the next 5 years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)

Mike Stanton will draw a near ARod/Cabrera contract on the free agent market. $20 million would be a bargain. $25 million is an opening bid.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
If that gets you close, then the answer is "no". Garcia himself could provide 80% of what Stanton projects over the next 5 years.

He "could," but that's part of the problem. Garcia "could" also turn into an incredibly average outfielder in that time too.

If they could do it without Garcia, that would be ideal, but I'm just not sure how possible that will be.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I've never understood moving Quintana at this juncture. You'd be moving Quintana in the hopes that at least one of them turns out like Quintana, so that you can sign him to a deal like Quintana's (when we don't have to move or need to move Quintana).

hey heads how is it going?????

for a response. there are 2 factors to consider.

1. known and unknown players. Q is a known commodity. the prospects

coming from the minor league are unknown.

2. window of opportunity. the sox are soooo close with a couple of smart

pickups. the sox need to strike now, meaning the offseason to get those

missing parts. the sox will have sale, eaton, jose in there prime. the sox

have rodon, the young infielders, maybe even a couple of unknow pitchers,

and yes even avi coming it to produce.

who can we trade other than a known piece to get a max rtn.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)

he is still an unknown factor with potential.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
I'll call bs on this. Giancarlo does every aspect of the game better than Garcia.

And remarkably, you can't even use the age excuse here, because at Garcia's age, he was doing virtually every aspect of the game better as well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 06:04 AM)
I could go either way on a Q trade. I think if the Sox want to compete next year and sign say James Shields, you keep Q. If you are waiting one more year, I'd be fine with selling high.

I agree with this and this also depends on the FOs thoughts on Montas/Danish/Beck/Bassitt/Johnson/Noesi.

If the plan is to go for it in 2016 and they can get a stud bat and front/mid rotation starter+ to go with Sale-Rodon and 2 of those guys or 1 of those guys and a FA SP then it might make some sense to trade Q.

It'd have to something redunkulous though...I'm talkin Seagar/Urias or one of the Cubs bats and Edwards. His contract at hiis age/talent level has to get them a kings ransom.

I really don't think the White Sox have the starting pitching depth at this point to be trading Quintana, unless they are blown away with an offer.

Looking at next year, you currently have Sale, Quintana and Danks... and who? Some two from this list:

Hector Noesi

Carlos Rodon

Erik Johnson

Chris Beck

Scott Carroll

Bassitt is, to my eyes, a reliever (and could be a good one). So I don't include him.

Looking at those five, Rodon likely makes it, and Noesi can work as a #5. But that isn't exactly an ideal rotation anyway. Between Johnson and Beck, you'd think one of them may turn into something, but you don't know. If you trade Quintana, you really have a major pitching problem unless you acquire another arm.

Why would you trade someone from our area of weakness (pitching) for an area that is somewhat a strength (hitting) when you can address offensive needs through free agency without giving up a prospect? We have plenty of $$ to sufficiently address both areas.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
I really don't think the White Sox have the starting pitching depth at this point to be trading Quintana, unless they are blown away with an offer.

Looking at next year, you currently have Sale, Quintana and Danks... and who? Some two from this list:

Hector Noesi

Carlos Rodon

Erik Johnson

Chris Beck

Scott Carroll

Bassitt is, to my eyes, a reliever (and could be a good one). So I don't include him.

Looking at those five, Rodon likely makes it, and Noesi can work as a #5. But that isn't exactly an ideal rotation anyway. Between Johnson and Beck, you'd think one of them may turn into something, but you don't know. If you trade Quintana, you really have a major pitching problem unless you acquire another arm.

That's why I think it all depends on whether or not they plan on going for it in 2015 or 2016....Come 2016 you should also be looking at Danish/Montas, with Adams, who looks really advanced for his age, not that far behind...Potentially another college arm could be drafted in the draft as well....Plus no matter whether they go for it next year or in 2016 they should probably get back a high end arm in any Q trade (Unless they get back 2 high end bats).

Disagree about Bassitt also BTW....Didn't show it in his start Saturday but as a starter dude has been good in the minors.