The Adam Dunn Appreciation Thread

The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
That's what I'm hoping for. By the reports I've read he has the secondary stuff to do it.

Supposedly health is the reason he is in the bullpen. I guess shoulder issues. If they can keep that from flaring up, it doesn't take much to be a bullpen upgrade for this team.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
The difference IMO is we could have gotten this out of a Dunn a long time ago.

I don't think this is true, personally, but I have no proof, so it's not a big deal. This is still better than releasing him outright in Spring Training like you wanted.

Now we get a look at Wilkins. Maybe the talent has changed and he can be a worthwhile long term solution.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
I don't think this is true, personally, but I have no proof, so it's not a big deal. This is still better than releasing him outright in Spring Training like you wanted.

Now we get a look at Wilkins. Maybe the talent has changed and he can be a worthwhile long term solution.

If the "stuff" in the scouting report is actually true, and the shoulder issues are at least a bit overblown, then I would agree with you. But I'd also say he wouldn't have been worth a player of that quality at any point except for maybe after the 2012 season had the Sox kicked in money and moved him then.

The arm here is interesting but I think it's likely that the #12 prospect stuff and 2nd rounder designations are overstating what he actually is. Which is fine too, because if we get even a quality MR out of Dunn then we're automatically a lot better. But if this kid can legitimately throw 3 offspeed pitches over for strikes plus dial up the fastball, and if at least one of those offspeed pitches are average or better, then this deal is a massive steal for Hahn.

In fact, you know what wite? You were right. A's are eating a tad over $1M & I didn't think the Sox would get a prospect with any pulse whatsoever without at least eating the full amount save for the leagume minimum. You're right, wite. I was wrong. This deal is a whole lot better than I thought it would be.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
If the "stuff" in the scouting report is actually true, and the shoulder issues are at least a bit overblown, then I would agree with you. But I'd also say he wouldn't have been worth a player of that quality at any point except for maybe after the 2012 season had the Sox kicked in money and moved him then.

The arm here is interesting but I think it's likely that the #12 prospect stuff and 2nd rounder designations are overstating what he actually is. Which is fine too, because if we get even a quality MR out of Dunn then we're automatically a lot better. But if this kid can legitimately throw 3 offspeed pitches over for strikes plus dial up the fastball, and if at least one of those offspeed pitches are average or better, then this deal is a massive steal for Hahn.

In fact, you know what wite? You were right. A's are eating a tad over $1M & I didn't think the Sox would get a prospect with any pulse whatsoever without at least eating the full amount save for the leagume minimum. You're right, wite. I was wrong. This deal is a whole lot better than I thought it would be.

:o

I have absolutely nothing more to say. I'm absolutely, 100% speechless.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
Why? There will just be someone else behind him now that the pitchers will go around Abreu to get to. Put Moist Sierria behind him, I bet he'd like that idea better anyway.

I meant in a personal way....

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
:o

I have absolutely nothing more to say. I'm absolutely, 100% speechless.

Awe, you guys just had a moment! Dare I say a Broment?! :P

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
If absolute best effort is not having an offseason program, then yeah, Dunn put in his best effort.

Dunn seems like a decent dude but it was a move that had to made. Dumping Beckham, ADA and Dunn just makes me so much more excited for the offseason. There should be lots of new faces all over the place. Unfortunately, Dunn leaving town brings on the unintended consequence that TUC will have to come up with new material, sigh.

wasn't there a time, last yr or before when he freely gave his spot for someone? sorry I can't remember

like I use to.

either way, Dunn is a class person, and deserve my best wish. it was just, bad luck that

the sox didn't do more while he was here.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
If absolute best effort is not having an offseason program, then yeah, Dunn put in his best effort.

Dunn seems like a decent dude but it was a move that had to made. Dumping Beckham, ADA and Dunn just makes me so much more excited for the offseason. There should be lots of new faces all over the place. Unfortunately, Dunn leaving town brings on the unintended consequence that TUC will have to come up with new material, sigh.

100% agree raBBit. Not sure I understand why exactly Adam Dunn was an A+ human being, but he must have done some great things in his life off the baseball field to deserve such praise.

On the field, he was extremely bad for us. Including 2011, he provided us with -1.3 WAR for the small price of $55M. Excluding 2011, he averaged about 0.6 WAR a season. While I'm not one who sees WAR as the be all end all, it should be pretty apparent that the dude sucked for us outside of 2012.

I don't wish him ill-will, but I definitely won't be glorifying a guy who provided us with minimal contributions for a f***ton of money.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)

He lost a crap ton of weight after he sucked ass in 2011. He was definitely trying, he just wasn't that great here. He's a good dude and a good teammate who unfortunately didn't live up to his contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
This. If anyone should have been a raging asshole after all that happened while he was here, it was Dunn. He has been nothing but class.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I think he's a great example that modern day "everyone gets a trophy" athletes should pay attention to. He was never defensive about his lack of performance and would not shy away from the media talking about.

I could never dislike Adam Dunn despite not living up to expectations. The guy is a class act.

My biggest regret is now that can't use him in the pen. He can't be any worse than BlowSorryYo.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I think he's a great example that modern day "everyone gets a trophy" athletes should pay attention to. He was never defensive about his lack of performance and would not shy away from the media talking about.

I could never dislike Adam Dunn despite not living up to expectations. The guy is a class act.

My biggest regret is now that can't use him in the pen. He can't be any worse than BlowSorryYo.

He's saying that after how Dunn was treated, no one would have blamed him if he was an ass to everyone

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Walking back to the dugout after fanning is not loafing, except in Little League.

And speaking of Little League the Sox honored the JRW team last night. They gave them all White Sox backpacks with school supplies, a White Sox jersey with their number on it signed by the entire team, and introduced them one by one having them run around the bases with the White Sox lined up on the 3rd base line giving them all high fives. That had to be awesome for an 11-13 year old kid.

That is pure class. Seriously. Not to blast the Cubs, but did they think of this? They seem too cheap, considering the tarp fiasco in not wanting to pay overtime.

As far as Dunn, he hit some bombs that mattered. He struck out a ton. He annoyed me so much by not hitting more home runs to left center and center. He's so big all he has to do is elevate and make contact going that way.

The reason I hate Dunn is when he bats all I see is last place. His tenure was defined by losing and he was a horrible hitter.

I'm sure he has about 6 home runs left in him if he plays in that 4 game series in the Cell everybody's talking about.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 07:41 PM)
Finishing his career in a s*** hole is the perfect ending for a turd.

Ultimate are u joking about your hatred for Dunn? He was a horrible hitter, but it almost seems you are kidding.