Ray Rice Cut and Suspended Indefinitely

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
Have you watched the video?

I have.

They were both drunk. Appeared to be arguing. Spitting. She raised her hand as if to strike him in the face. He got angry and knocked the s*** out of her. Completely unwarranted, excessive, reckless, irresponsible, evil, etc. he could have killed her.

She was a non-cooperative victim in the state's case. She then married him. Defended him in the NFL's investigatory process.

Who the hell knows what either of them are thinking/doing.

No one, I repeat, no one, has justified or defended what he's done. Pointing out her behavior in the sequence of events does not equate to doing so, either.

Can we just admit that at some point this is all just piling on? That everyone has this, jealousy for lack of a better word of the NFL, so now's a good time to go after them? I mean, it's pretty sad that the focus of the outrage has shifted from Rice and domestic violence issues in sports to the NFL and how it handled this. Over a video that, again, didn't need to be seen to understand what happened.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Can we just admit that at some point this is all just piling on? That everyone has this, jealousy for lack of a better word of the NFL, so now's a good time to go after them? I mean, it's pretty sad that the focus of the outrage has shifted from Rice and domestic violence issues in sports to the NFL and how it handled this. Over a video that, again, didn't need to be seen to understand what happened.

I agree that Rice has gotten extreme punishment over something we already knew. I dont agree that it is piling on for the NFL, i believe they deserve this for trying to sweep this under the rug and repeatedly being caught in lies.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
I agree that Rice has gotten extreme punishment over something we already knew. I dont agree that it is piling on for the NFL, i believe they deserve this for trying to sweep this under the rug and repeatedly being caught in lies.

He got fired from him job. I don't see that as extreme at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
He got fired from him job. I don't see that as extreme at all.

he got punished, then punished again. I thought 6-8 games was fair for what happened. and then we have the 49ers DT McDonald beating his pregnant gf or wife and playing a week later. If there was tape of him beating her, would he still have played? or would he be insta banned from the NFL?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
he got punished, then punished again. I thought 6-8 games was fair for what happened. and then we have the 49ers DT McDonald beating his pregnant gf or wife and playing a week later. If there was tape of him beating her, would he still have played? or would he be insta banned from the NFL?

Insta-banned? Depends on the case I'd say. The Ray Rice one happened in February. The NFL had some ability to take their time with that one, it's their own stupidity that screwed it up. This one, there's a legal case here that has to be made first. If you had video of it happening, then maybe you make the suspension right there because you have the evidence in hand, if there's no video then you have to wait at least a little bit until law enforcement does its job because we do give a presumption of innocence overall in this country and that should carry over.

The teams in the NFL can probably decide on their own how to deal with a guy in that scenario. Without knowing the person, it does seem like a team where the coach says he has zero tolerance for that stuff publicly is a case where the team should elect to sit him based on the coaches statements, but I won't say that should be the case in every circumstance.

If a guy is going to play while the investigation moves forward, that's tolerable. You can't fire a guy or tell him not to come to work that day until the police give something.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)

Absolutely not. They covered it up, lied about it, didn't take it seriously enough, etc. This is a HUGE deal. Piling on? The commissioner might lose his job. I think you're severely underestimating the scope of this.

I don't really care if it was the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS etc. My reaction would be the same. To chalk it up to some sort of jealousy? What? They've completely mishandled this thing from the beginning and deserve everything coming to them.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
Absolutely not. They covered it up, lied about it, didn't take it seriously enough, etc. This is a HUGE deal. Piling on? The commissioner might lose his job. I think you're severely underestimating the scope of this.

I don't really care if it was the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS etc. My reaction would be the same. To chalk it up to some sort of jealousy? What? They've completely mishandled this thing from the beginning and deserve everything coming to them.

IMO this is mostly nonsense. This isn't the first time a professional league has tried to cover up something damaging. Perhaps the dumbest example, but not the first. And this isn't the first case of some deplorable act by a major professional sports figure that we've been upset about, but ultimately forgiven. Someone else brought up the example of Hope Solo. How about Floyd Mayweather? Mike Tyson? Countless others. Where was national outrage then? Tyson is still seen as a lovable dumbass despite being a pretty reprehensible person. Taking such strong, unreasonable stands - like Rice or anyone else involved in domestic violence should never be employable again - just seems over the top to me.

I'm not justifying Rice, I'm not justifying the stupidity of the NFL. They do deserve what they're getting, and Goodell should resign or be fired. But I can't help feel like there's lynch mob taking over just to pile on and be upset about it. It's just the flavor of the month. It reminds me a lot of the people who were totally fine saying Redskins 6 months ago, but once it became a story they decided how deplorable it was and chastised anyone else who didn't agree with them.

I dunno, to me, this has the importance of like a 3 or 4 on a 10 scale. A company trying to cover up it's embarrassing mistakes? Shocking! Not really, no. And it's the NFL, not a school district or a church or some other institution that holds itself to a much higher standard. They (and other professional leagues) have stood by murderers, adulterers, cheaters, gang bangers, etc. This is a league that's all about money and always has been. Why are we shocked when they act in their best monetary interest?

And finally, on top of all of this, who among you is going to do anything about it other than be upset on the internet? Who's going to stop watching the product? Great, you've demanded Goodell gets fired. What does that achieve? Like he won't be replaced by someone who will act in a way that protects the NFL and it's money interests?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)

Fire all of them as far as I am concerned.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
There's another guy in the NFL Mike & Mike were talking about this morning who was found guilty of assault in a domestic abuse case, he's appealing it, but there was an adjudication of the charge. And he's still playing.

Without better evidence (read a videotape), I don't have a problem with letting the appeal run its course re: Greg Hardy. BUT in light of pretty heinous allegations against him, I hope he gets treated similarly to Rice if the conviction is upheld.

Ultimately, I think these guys deserve a certain level of due process. Rice's case is unique because the videotape is there for the whole world to see - there is no denying that Rice knocked his significant other out. Let McDonald and Hardy have their day (plural in Hardy's case) in court and then, with a conviction, bring down the hammer.

Note that I would also be ok with the league suspending DV offenders with pay while the charges are pending and then dropping the hammer (suspension w/out pay) once (if) there's a conviction. That would truly send a message that the NFL wants to eradicate DV from the league.

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Without better evidence (read a videotape), I don't have a problem with letting the appeal run its course re: Greg Hardy. BUT in light of pretty heinous allegations against him, I hope he gets treated similarly to Rice if the conviction is upheld.

Ultimately, I think these guys deserve a certain level of due process. Rice's case is unique because the videotape is there for the whole world to see - there is no denying that Rice knocked his significant other out. Let McDonald and Hardy have their day (plural in Hardy's case) in court and then, with a conviction, bring down the hammer.

Note that I would also be ok with the league suspending DV offenders with pay while the charges are pending and then dropping the hammer (suspension w/out pay) once (if) there's a conviction. That would truly send a message that the NFL wants to eradicate DV from the league.

I think if you've been convicted that's enough to warrant the suspension or whatever punishment that the NFL is going to lay down. I could understand waiting a little more if it's just accusations as in the San Fran case.

Although Goodell had no problem suspending Roethlisberger without any proof and just accusations.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)

This is a very good post.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)

And what if there is an acquittal?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
And what if there is an acquittal?

NBC freakin fired OJ just because he was accused of murder. He gets acquitted and they don't hire him back with some back pay. Total BS.

There is no video of OJ killing anyone, he was acquitted at trial, yet all of the lynch mob still thinks he's a murderer. Talk about a guy who got a bad deal.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
IMO this is mostly nonsense. This isn't the first time a professional league has tried to cover up something damaging. Perhaps the dumbest example, but not the first. And this isn't the first case of some deplorable act by a major professional sports figure that we've been upset about, but ultimately forgiven. Someone else brought up the example of Hope Solo. How about Floyd Mayweather? Mike Tyson? Countless others. Where was national outrage then? Tyson is still seen as a lovable dumbass despite being a pretty reprehensible person. Taking such strong, unreasonable stands - like Rice or anyone else involved in domestic violence should never be employable again - just seems over the top to me.

I'm not justifying Rice, I'm not justifying the stupidity of the NFL. They do deserve what they're getting, and Goodell should resign or be fired. But I can't help feel like there's lynch mob taking over just to pile on and be upset about it. It's just the flavor of the month. It reminds me a lot of the people who were totally fine saying Redskins 6 months ago, but once it became a story they decided how deplorable it was and chastised anyone else who didn't agree with them.

I dunno, to me, this has the importance of like a 3 or 4 on a 10 scale. A company trying to cover up it's embarrassing mistakes? Shocking! Not really, no. And it's the NFL, not a school district or a church or some other institution that holds itself to a much higher standard. They (and other professional leagues) have stood by murderers, adulterers, cheaters, gang bangers, etc. This is a league that's all about money and always has been. Why are we shocked when they act in their best monetary interest?

And finally, on top of all of this, who among you is going to do anything about it other than be upset on the internet? Who's going to stop watching the product? Great, you've demanded Goodell gets fired. What does that achieve? Like he won't be replaced by someone who will act in a way that protects the NFL and it's money interests?

Flavor of the month...yet you agree a commissioner should lose his job, which is kind of a big deal. That's not flavor of the month material.

Furthermore, it's not about what I do about domestic violence, it's about what the NFL does (or in this case, didn't do). That's why this started.

I guess we'll agree to disagree if you think this is a 3 out of a 10.