2014-2015 MLB off season player movement and rumors thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
This spending spree worked so well the last time Boston did it.

It has worked to the extent they have three World Series championships in a decade.

That said, their last WS trophy was a direct result of "value buy" veterans in guys like Napoli, Gomes, Victorino, Uehara, etc.

Definitely not "big ticket" acquisitions like Hanley and Sandoval.

That said, interesting Ramirez's career is coming back full circle to both begin and end in Beantown.

Out of curiosity, how are the Yankees doing with A-Rod for 2015 and beyond? I'd imagine that his own mother, much less the Yankees don't want anything to do with him after all that has transpired, and he's owed at least $20M a year through 2017. Assuming he waives his NTC, if a team seeking a terrific clubhouse presence that is also willing to take a chance on his bat were to materialize, is that something the Yankees would be willing to go for (even if it meant gobbling hilarious amounts of money)?

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
Out of curiosity, how are the Yankees doing with A-Rod for 2015 and beyond? I'd imagine that his own mother, much less the Yankees don't want anything to do with him after all that has transpired, and he's owed at least $20M a year through 2017. Assuming he waives his NTC, if a team seeking a terrific clubhouse presence that is also willing to take a chance on his bat were to materialize, is that something the Yankees would be willing to go for (even if it meant gobbling hilarious amounts of money)?

I can't wait for training camp to find out. I know the Yankees don't want to cut him a check for $60 million to go away, but I would imagine they bring him to camp and try to bench him to get him to quit.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Interesting strategy by the carmines to stockpile OFers. Supposedly Napoli is available, too (one year left on contract). Obviously they need pitching. Wonder if this takes them out of the Lester sweepstakes. Or Scherzer.

So far, this puts them somewhere in the range of $165-$170 million depending on how the money for these guys is distributed. That's a boost from their payroll last year, so it might well require them to move one of these guys in order to have the money to add a big pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
Lol 22 million a year for Hanley.

Yeah, that could increase Alexei's trade value. I'm not saying the Sox should trade Alexei, just noting that Hanley just raised the pay scale for short stops. A increased pay scale and the best FA SS coming off the market should indeed raise Alexei's trade value, tho I understand it does not mean the Sox will or should trade Alexei.

Yeah, that could increase Alexei's trade value. I'm not saying the Sox should trade Alexei, just noting that Hanley just raised the pay scale for short stops. A increased pay scale and the best FA SS coming off the market should indeed raise Alexei's trade value, tho I understand it does not mean the Sox will or should trade Alexei.

Was anybody seriously thinking about playing Hanely at SS though?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Alexei is getting paid less than half of that for the next two years.

Crazy isn't it!

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Was anybody seriously thinking about playing Hanely at SS though?

If the Panda rumors are true, Hanley will be playing SS for Boston with Panda playing beside him at third. That's if the rumors are true and considering its Boston I would not be surprised. They have the money.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)

No doubt about it. If that doesn't show that Alexei is worth a ton on the trade market, I don't know what will.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
No doubt about it. If that doesn't show that Alexei is worth a ton on the trade market, I don't know what will.

Yup. I am now in the group of folks that feel an over pay is in order if a team wants to acquire Alexei. Thank you Hanley and Boston. :D

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
If the Panda rumors are true, Hanley will be playing SS for Boston with Panda playing beside him at third. That's if the rumors are true and considering its Boston I would not be surprised. They have the money.

They might move Hanley to the OF.