2014-2015 MLB off season player movement and rumors thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago

Billy Beane says he plans on Jeff Samardzija being ace of #Athletics staff next year

Wait, Beane still wants to compete next year and is not going to trade Shark away? I'm shocked...

There's a few Sox fans around here that will not be happy about this. There could be riots...

Edited by StRoostifer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Incorrect. Technically this counts too.

In the first one, one of the biggest creditors the Rangers had during their bankruptcy proceedings was this muscle bound freak named Alex Roidriguez or something like that.

The Dodgers filed Chapter 11 in 2011 too, but that was more related to the divorce of Frank and Jamie McCourt.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
If a fast food restaurant - say Crazy George's - was willing to pay people $30 an hour to put out the best fast food in the area while taking home microscopic profit margins, while the rest of the fast food restaurants - say "Tampa Tacos" - gave the typical $10 an hour to take home bigger profits while putting out a lesser quality product, I doubt people would say "those people are Crazy George's are way overpaid."

Economic theory says no one is ever overpaid and that people will only ever be underpaid. Someone/Something may be paid/may cost more than you were willing to spend, but someone out there is willing to spend that amount for that service/product at that price, and thus it is valued properly.

The problem never lies in that. The problem lies in our inability to properly determine the depreciation of that service over time. A lot of times these services depreciate way faster than we realize they will, even after time and time again we see it do the same thing, partly because we've seen it work previously (both the service and extending the life of the service) and because the known is better than the unknown until it's not or the unknown becomes known.

Reality is one thing. The fans perception is another. Fans will always say that the professional athletes in the major sports are overpaid when it comes to salary and especially free agents.

The Rangers' situation was mostly related to real estate/shopping mall overexposure and also Liverpool/Arsenal....one of those Premiere League teams.

It's not like the profit-generating model was broken in Texas. Quite the opposite. It's that the Rangers' profitability was being used to cushion all the other spread sheet/line item disasters in Hicks' portfolio.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
That is a very beatable deal.

One of those "more for PR than anything" announcements, so the Red Sox can argue they mounted a "sincere" attempt to bring Lester back to pacify the fans who can only speculate what it's like to turn down $100+ million in guaranteed money to play a kid's game (see Juan Gonzalez).

Seems they prefer Shields at $90-100 million. They should know what they're doing, they had all the opportunity in the world to observe Lester and evaluate what he's worth, exactly, moving forward.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
Braves release Jonny Venters. Admittedly, I don't know much about him but I am interested.

He was almost the lefty Craig Kimbrel, that's how good he was. But the Braves Dusty Bakered him, hasn't pitched since 2012 after having his 2nd and 3rd Tommy John surgeries.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo 10m10 minutes ago Whitman, MA

According to a mAjor league source the Red Sox offer to Jon Lester falls into $110-$120 range over six years.

I'd be insulted at that if I were Lester.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago

The #Nats are informing teams that ace Jordan Zimmermann is available,but only if they get strong return,emphasizing it is not a salary dump

I'd love to add JZ, but his price would be huge.

I think the Sox blew it not getting involved with Billy Butler. He's cheap in today's standards and a genius like Beane was willing to go three years.

He'd have been potentially dandy in the hitter-friendly Cell. I'm not saying Billy is a god, but it's the Sox type of signing. Taking a chance on a guy who had a bad year. He's only 28. He could have possibly gone on a nice six-year run on the South Side. He finally elevates a bit and we might have had a good DH. Also would have been nice to have him in 19 games a year vs. KC.

Now I could be wrong if Billy gets fat and continues to not elevate, but I think if the Sox are gonna continue to be a small market team like they have been payroll wise, this signing made a lot of sense. Go after the 8-10 million buck a year guys.

I'd say this is a fail by Hahn. Cause he's not going to get any of the mega contract type guys.

p.s. I'm in favor of acquiring Torii Hunter now. Yes he's old, but same reasoning as Butler. Figure you can get him 6-10 million a year for two years or one year and an option year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
I think the Sox blew it not getting involved with Billy Butler. He's cheap in today's standards and a genius like Beane was willing to go three years.

He'd have been potentially dandy in the hitter-friendly Cell. I'm not saying Billy is a god, but it's the Sox type of signing. Taking a chance on a guy who had a bad year. He's only 28. He could have possibly gone on a nice six-year run on the South Side. He finally elevates a bit and we might have had a good DH. Also would have been nice to have him in 19 games a year vs. KC.

Now I could be wrong if Billy gets fat and continues to not elevate, but I think if the Sox are gonna continue to be a small market team like they have been payroll wise, this signing made a lot of sense. Go after the 8-10 million buck a year guys.

I'd say this is a fail by Hahn. Cause he's not going to get any of the mega contract type guys.

p.s. I'm in favor of acquiring Torii Hunter now. Yes he's old, but same reasoning as Butler. Figure you can get him 6-10 million a year for two years or one year and an option year.

A lot of guys like Butler start regressing at 29-30. It was a big gamble to give him 3 years, especially after the year he had.

Beane's getting quite a bit of backlash for the signing. It's just not very smart. They also have 3-4 guys on that team who can DH and play 1B. Oakland's also a much worse hitter's park than KC. It just didn't make a ton of sense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)

Hunter is too old to play the OF, but sadly he's probably better than Avisail nevertheless.

If they were trying to win THIS season (like the Royals), it MIGHT make sense. Paying him when he's 40-42 and expecting his recent production to continue is downright insanity.