2014-2015 MLB off season player movement and rumors thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
I'd much rather have Jon Lester on the Cubs than an AL team like the BlueJays. Can't believe others don't feel the same.

If he goes back to the AL East I can't help but think the Red Sox will pay him, especially if they sign Sandoval.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
I dont remember saying that Sox fans were anywhere near the best in baseball. Also, Cubs attendance has dropped by over a million fans annually over the last 4 years.

And they are still drawing over 30k a night, even after six years of terrible baseball. You don't judge a fan base on how they draw when they are good. Everyone shows up then, well except Tampa, who really are the worst fans in baseball, but you rate them on how they act when things aren't well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
And they are still drawing over 30k a night, even after six years of terrible baseball. You don't judge a fan base on how they draw when they are good. Everyone shows up then, well except Tampa, who really are the worst fans in baseball, but you rate them on how they act when things aren't well.

The Cubs have been awful for 4 forever, yet they still drew more in 2014 than the White Sox have every season except 4. 2 were the first 2 years at the new park, and 2 were right after the World Series. They drew more than the 1993 White Sox. Drew more per game than the 1994 White Sox, and drew more than the 2005 World Champion White sox. Cubs fans probably know very little about baseball, per fan, but I agree with you, nobody can question their loyalty. Like you said, White Sox fans need the team to meet certain criteria for them to attend a game, and even when those are met, new reasons not to attend are conceived.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
Bernie Pleskoff ‏@BerniePleskoff 26m26 minutes ago

#Dbacks acquire Jeremy Hellickson from #Rays 4 prospects SS Andrew Velazquez and OF Justin Williams. I have never seen either prospect play

Velasquez and Williams both played for the Silverhawks last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 15m15 minutes ago

Sources: #Indians exploring wide range of options, including a trade of Swisher for another player with an inflated contract.

Swisher has an inflated option for 2017 that vests with 550 PA, but 2015/2016 he only costs $1M more than Danks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
[gets chills]

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 19m19 minutes ago

Source: FA LHP Bruce Chen intends to pitch next year and is in the process of talking to teams about a deal.

Please don't inform Greg.

Or tell him that Barry Zito is in fact Bruce Chen with a new name because Chen's Panamanian birth certificate was falsified.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
Must be frustrating to see Morneau had the kind of season he had for Colorado (finally), but there's no way they could keep paying him with those expectations (performing at near MVP level like five or six years ago).

Nah, Im pretty happy for him. At least he gets to go out playing at a halfway decent level (caveat being one concussion away from being done)

And turns out it trading Morneau made room for Mauer playing first.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
If Swisher wasn't a former Sox or a major asshat he would make a lot of a sense to this team in exchange for Danks.

I think he might be done. He used to be a really good firstbaseman. Now he's even awful in the field.

The rumor earlier was for Edwin Jackson. I don't think anything in baseball could be more annoying than Nick Swisher playing for the Cubs and talking about "the Cubbies".

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
I think he might be done. He used to be a really good firstbaseman. Now he's even awful in the field.

The rumor earlier was for Edwin Jackson. I don't think anything in baseball could be more annoying than Nick Swisher playing for the Cubs and talking about "the Cubbies".

That's a brony match made in heaven

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 13m13 minutes ago

#DBacks are reportedly targeting James Shields in free agency. Story via @Brian_Baker_: http://sbnation.com/e/7006846

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 2m2 minutes ago

#Phillies are reportedly researching #RedSox prospects, fueling Cole Hamels trade rumors. Story: http://sbnation.com/e/7007344

Uh no. This simply cannot be. The cubs are going to get both players!

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago

Sources: #Athletics in serious talks with free agent Billy Butler. First reported: @CoverThoseBases.

Robert Murray ‏@RobertMurrayMLB 4m4 minutes ago

Source: Billy Butler agrees to three-year, $30M deal with the #Athletics. $5 million signing bonus.