Guess the first offseason trade

Jerksticks

I actually got to very briefly chat with Adam Lind in Spring Training 2012 in Florida. My spring training baseball class got onfield access to a few major league spring training facilities. Lind and Rajai Davis were really friendly to us.

I was standing behind the batting cages watching the players hit and chatting with Rajai Davis and then all the sudden mid conversation his turn to bat was up and he said something like "Hold up, I got to go hit some bombs", and he stepped up and starting hacking. It was hilarious.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the MLBTradeRumors chat on Adam Lind:

Comment From Bret

Although it could be nothing, the Jays claiming Justin Smoak adds, um, smoke, to the Adam Lind rumours. Who are some teams you see as landing spots for him, and what can the Jays hope for in return?

2:01

Steve Adams: I don't think it's nothing. Smoak's going to make nearly $3MM next season -- they're basically giving him Lind's roster spot in my mind. Tigers, White Sox, Mariners all make some sense for Lind. I don't know that the return is enormous, but I think you can get something along the lines of a bullpen piece or a solid, if somewhat unspectacular prospect back. Fourth/fifth starter type of ceiling that's a bit of a ways off from the Majors?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)
If we want a proven hitter, sign him, don't trade for him.

We'll never get anywhere if we don't get the farm up to spiff.

What about Rasmus - he had a better year than most of these players people want to trade our prospects for. He may not even get a QO.

Rasmus has been discussed ad nauseam throughout various threads. Some for, some against. Personally I am all for signing him. Good defender, good LF pop. He will not be getting a QO as the Blue Jays are planning to move on from him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
From the MLBTradeRumors chat on Adam Lind:

Comment From Bret

Although it could be nothing, the Jays claiming Justin Smoak adds, um, smoke, to the Adam Lind rumours. Who are some teams you see as landing spots for him, and what can the Jays hope for in return?

2:01

Steve Adams: I don't think it's nothing. Smoak's going to make nearly $3MM next season -- they're basically giving him Lind's roster spot in my mind. Tigers, White Sox, Mariners all make some sense for Lind. I don't know that the return is enormous, but I think you can get something along the lines of a bullpen piece or a solid, if somewhat unspectacular prospect back. Fourth/fifth starter type of ceiling that's a bit of a ways off from the Majors?

Mike Recchia.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
I'd give them Bassitt. I think Lind is really good as long as you have a platoon plan.

That's a higher price than I think I'd go for him, but maybe I could be convinced. He would be a good fit as you note, but it's not like he's underpaid for the production he gives by all that much, whereas Bassitt could be a contributor just about as useful as Lind next year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Mike Recchia.

Slightly more reasonable than Bassitt since Recchia hasn't yet hit the AAA/Big league level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
That's a higher price than I think I'd go for him, but maybe I could be convinced. He would be a good fit as you note, but it's not like he's underpaid for the production he gives by all that much, whereas Bassitt could be a contributor just about as useful as Lind next year.

Slightly more reasonable than Bassitt since Recchia hasn't yet hit the AAA/Big league level.

Gotta agree with you here. I would consider Beck, but definitely wouldn't consider Bassitt.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
Why do people hate Gordon Beckham but like Rasmus?

Better all around talent, plays a position of weakness, does have a couple seasons where he was really good as opposed to just his first year, and the grass is greener.

I'd take him for the right price, but I think he'll get a better price from someone else and I won't be upset when they don't get him.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Because they undervalue our own talent and eat their young around here.

Or the young eat themselves. Fields, Anderson, Beckham, Morel, Erik Johnson, Phegley, Wilkins, Rienzo, etc.

Other than Sale/Abreu/Ramirez, we have failed to come up with any true impact players since we traded for Floyd/Danks/Quentin. For now, the jury is still out on Eaton being able to stay healthy and what kind of power production we receive from Avisail Garcia (not to mention the team's tolerance for below-average fielding at nearly every position).

If you want to count Addison Reed as an impact talent, be my guest, have at it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Thoughts on trading for Chris Davis?

I bring it up just because his name hasn't been brought up yet.

Free agent after this season so the price shouldn't be tooo astronomical. Probably one of our top guys and a few mid range guys.

We just let Adam Dunn walk away.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)

Free agent after this season so the price shouldn't be tooo astronomical. Probably one of our top guys and a few mid range guys.

Way more than I'd pay given his performance this year and contract status. We're not in a position to pay highly for guys with 1 year remaining before FA.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)

I think I'd rather bet on Kendrys Morales as a buy-low guy. And you don't have to give up anything.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 11:30 PM)
I think I'd rather bet on Kendrys Morales as a buy-low guy. And you don't have to give up anything.

it is said that his agent wants only 1 yr. obviously to rebuild his value. something

in the > 9 mil range. however with his agent, that could go south in a moment notice.

Edited by LDF

• 2 weeks later...