Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
Not worried about the payroll at all. I think we have more money to spend than people were predicting anyways but if Hahn wants Melky and Robertson/KRod then they'll work out the payroll issues.

I could easily see Sox payroll in the 100-110 range if they want. We did it 5 years ago, no reason JR would't do it now.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
I would venture to guess that WAR has more correlation to actual wins than any other statistic

I really can't see that. Supposedly WAR looks at "just another guy" that can be acquired but not an average. Kershaw is only 7 wins better than him and that is the top in the game?

Sorry to derail the discussion Ill stop but using WAR as the only justification to refute a comment whenit is so abstract always irks me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
An underrated aspect about acquiring Samardzija is that he's a huge name in the Chicagoland area, and he's someone that I think fans would go out to watch pitch (oh great, more ND fans at Sox games)

Hey nothing wrong with that. Gotta remember when the original Mayor Richard J Daley was around being Irish in Chicago was a huge deal and the middle class (basically a ton of south side White Sox fan city workers ) looked to ND as the symbol of having their children do better than they did. Those city workers are all retired now but their children went to college and were the original Yuppies and inherited their love of the Sox.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)

It does not account for arb cases, which amounts to $10 mil, and pre arb guys, which is another $6 mil.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CH...-salaries.shtml

BR has much more in depth info.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:47 AM)
Where's the rumored 4 player deal coming from?

Poster JDsdirtysox (I think, JD something) posted it, and someone else said he has sox connections. Seem to fit bucket's "some will hate this" narrative well.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
You realize that table is missing like 15 players, right?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
It does not account for arb cases, which amounts to $10 mil, and pre arb guys, which is another $6 mil.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CH...-salaries.shtml

BR has much more in depth info.

My bad. thanks for the clarification. Forgot about Keppinger and all the buy outs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
Poster JDsdirtysox (I think, JD something) posted it, and someone else said he has sox connections. Seem to fit bucket's "some will hate this" narrative well.

No he didn't. Just said it was done and Danish is in it. (That was me who said he has a source btw) Someone posted the rumored deal from a twitter guy named rickslat.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)
Lets look at this another way, Kershaw was 21-3 with a WAR of 7.5. Did the average starter who made as few starts as Kershaw, did the average replacement level starter win that many games? I know there are other aspects that contribute but then go as far as the average winning percentage, etc. I don't know the answer just posing the thought. However, I'd also point out that you can't just add WAR's and say that is how many more games you will actually win.

I know you just can't add WAR. This is also part of the problem as its too abstract. You also cannot use the average players as it doesn't pertain to the average player

When the cimment was used it was said that lester couldn't provide 15-20 more wns because kershaw only had a 7 WAR. So this would assume lester woud take the place of the cubs worst or 5 starter not even an average starter

Anyway this is discussion for another day.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:45 PM)
I really can't see that. Supposedly WAR looks at "just another guy" that can be acquired but not an average. Kershaw is only 7 wins better than him and that is the top in the game?

Sorry to derail the discussion Ill stop but using WAR as the only justification to refute a comment whenit is so abstract always irks me.

Yeah, we're comparing to the "average replacement" player, which means that lots of replacements will be better or worse than 0 WAR. I think the main thing about WAR that is counterintuitive is just that it's not going to give any one player a ton of credit for winning a game. You're not going to play so well in a single that game that you get anything close to 1 WAR. But, in our minds, we might be thinking, "this game was won by THIS guy." But WAR says no, all kinds of other guys had to not f*** up to make that possible so they get some measure of credit (even if credit = not being docked WAR). But it also seeks to remove context, so that if Clayton Kershaw played for teams that aren't nearly as good, we still can compare him to players that are on great teams.

Pitching WAR is a little more debatable. Over small sample sizes, including at the level of a single season, FIP-based WAR is generally more accurate. Over longer stretches, though, RA/9-WAR is better...you can think of that as an ERA-based WAR. I usually look at both.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:54 PM)
Yeah, we're comparing to the "average replacement" player, which means that lots of replacements will be better or worse than 0 WAR. I think the main thing about WAR that is counterintuitive is just that it's not going to give any one player a ton of credit for winning a game. You're not going to play so well in a single that game that you get anything close to 1 WAR. But, in our minds, we might be thinking, "this game was won by THIS guy." But WAR says no, all kinds of other guys had to not f*** up to make that possible so they get some measure of credit (even if credit = not being docked WAR). But it also seeks to remove context, so that if Clayton Kershaw played for teams that aren't nearly as good, we still can compare him to players that are on great teams.

Pitching WAR is a little more debatable. Over small sample sizes, including at the level of a single season, FIP-based WAR is generally more accurate. Over longer stretches, though, RA/9-WAR is better...you can think of that as an ERA-based WAR. I usually look at both.

Actually from my analysis of various stats I like SIERA for pitching. It relyydoes the best job of isolating the pitcher's responsibility for runs scored which really what is all about.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)
"Maybe the White Sox could get David Robertson too..?"

"Well if the White Sox did get Robertson, could the Yankees compete in the AL East?"

No, no, no, he said "If the they get Headley, and they get Robertson, and use A-Rod as some sort of floating DH, could the Yankees compete in the AL East?"