Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:35 AM)
If they move Danish, the org must feel like he's a reliever long term.

Definitely a possibility they traded 3 players that they think have shortcomings that will cause them to switch positions:

- Semien only can play 2b (where they like Johnson more)

- Danish as a reliever

- Trey M. at 1b

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
So if this is the trade, Hahn keeps Alexei while Anderson develops. Plus a solid rotation, with a closer the next target. I like the Hahn-ster a whole lot.

I still think we're gonna be keeping Alexei a year too late after this season. With that said, I'm glad he isn't in this particular deal.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:34 PM)
5-7 pitching wins? I have no idea, because pitching wins are largely random. Quintana had a 5.3 WAR last season and had 9 pitching wins. Eric Stultz had a -0.6 WAR last season and had 8 pitching wins. They don't have any impact or correlation to WAR.

Exactly, so the WAR is abtract enough that how will you know if it actually is a good thing to help your team. So how does a GM build a team based on something that has no correlation to actual wins. Especially when the elusive replacement player doesn't exist either.

So this is pretty much a done deal - we're getting Shark for Semien + one of our better prospects (prolly Danish). Great news, as that gives the Sox a very formidable 1-2-3 in the starting rotation. And hopefully an extension forthcoming for Shark, which would give the Sox quite a pitching advantage over the next several seasons.

Where my mind has now gone and is reeling are these "surprise" moves that Bucket hinted are also likely coming, perhaps even this week. What could those possibly be!!

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:37 AM)
Danish and Michalczewski can be parted with. These are the kinds of players you give up in these deals. High risk high upside for the receiving team. Semien has too much upside and too little risk for this IMO

Semien showed some gigantic flaws last year. I'm one of his biggest fans on here, but his defense and K rate were abysmal.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
If that #5 pitcher has a 0 WAR all season and is considered replacement value.

Lets look at this another way, Kershaw was 21-3 with a WAR of 7.5. Did the average starter who made as few starts as Kershaw, did the average replacement level starter win that many games? I know there are other aspects that contribute but then go as far as the average winning percentage, etc. I don't know the answer just posing the thought. However, I'd also point out that you can't just add WAR's and say that is how many more games you will actually win.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:38 PM)
Exactly, so the WAR is abtract enough that how will you know if it actually is a good thing to help your team. So how does a GM build a team based on something that has no correlation to actual wins. Especially when the elusive replacement player doesn't exist either.

I would venture to guess that WAR has more correlation to actual wins than any other statistic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)
If that is the actual package, they didn't sell the farm off for Samardzija, although I'm not seeing what apparently others do in Marcus.

It seems like the Sox are ready to spend. If that's the case this team could be set up quite well,

Out of the two players, Danish has more upside, imo and given his delivery and where he is, he's still far away. Semien will be a solid player with upside of slightly above average. I don't think he'll be more then that and I could see him being below average as well. All that said, I liked Semien, but that is the type of guy you are willing to move, especially from an area that this org has significant depth in.

I still think we should sign Shark to an extension and this is coming from someone usually very anti longer term deals with a pitcher, however, he seems willing to take a hometown discount and if he is and will do a deal in the 5 yr neighborhood (sub 100M) then its a no brainer, imo.

Now our next all-in deal will be an outfielder/closer. I'd say something like Rasmus short term would be most realistic but maybe we'll see a classic Kenny move and Sox will acquire Kemp or Upton.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
I believe we are at 72 million. Could be wrong though

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
More like 65.

$59 in committed salary, $10 mil in arb cases, $5 mil owed to Kepp and Paulino buyout. ~10 or so pre-arb guys costing $600K each. Konerko also gets paid $1 mil annually from now to 2020. We do not have as much to spend as you guys think without trading Tank or Danks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 05:43 AM)
Out of the two players, Danish has more upside, imo and given his delivery and where he is, he's still far away. Semien will be a solid player with upside of slightly above average. I don't think he'll be more then that and I could see him being below average as well. All that said, I liked Semien, but that is the type of guy you are willing to move, especially from an area that this org has significant depth in.

I still think we should sign Shark to an extension and this is coming from someone usually very anti longer term deals with a pitcher, however, he seems willing to take a hometown discount and if he is and will do a deal in the 5 yr neighborhood (sub 100M) then its a no brainer, imo.

Now our next all-in deal will be an outfielder/closer. I'd say something like Rasmus short term would be most realistic but maybe we'll see a classic Kenny move and Sox will acquire Kemp or Upton.

If he signs a 5-year sub 100 million dollar deal than I will say I'll eat my hat and never eat it.