Hamburgers

Heads22

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as fast food, I haven't had many other than the common (McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.). McDonald's Jalapeno Double is pretty good, but Wendy's has the better burgers overall.

Not exactly fast food, but Schoops makes some great burgers. Portillos' burgers are outstanding. When we go there, it's hard for me not to get the beef. But my son usually gets the burger and doesn't finish it...so that works out for me.

Moe Joe's in Plainfield has a wild boar burger that is top notch. Has a nice little spice to it. They also have a burger called the Resurrection Burger with a fried egg on it. It was excellent, but it tore me up.

As far as making my own, I like to mix in some BBQ sauce. I haven't experimented much, but I'd like to change that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
Has anyone ever been to The Assembly in Hoffman Estates on Barrington Rd and I 90?

Every burger comes with a mushroom sherry sauce, and it is pretty much the best thing ever(with a burger)

http://www.assembly-bar.com/

Their featured beer- Pumpking- from southern tier is outstanding and strong as hell.

I'm a picky eater, so more often than not I get just ketchup (no cheese). I like the meat to really stand out. When I want to spice things up, I go with bacon, cheddar, and ketchup of course.

Five Guys is awesome, but I'm also a big fan of Backyard Burger. Portillo's is definitely in the top 5 too.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
I'm a picky eater, so more often than not I get just ketchup (no cheese). I like the meat to really stand out. When I want to spice things up, I go with bacon, cheddar, and ketchup of course.

Five Guys is awesome, but I'm also a big fan of Backyard Burger. Portillo's is definitely in the top 5 too.

Ha, the definition of "spice things up" is a little different for me

Five Guys has good burgers, but their fries are complete trash, so I'll pass. There's a small place near me called Hop's Burger Bar that is great.

Most of the time I make my own though:

- 0.4 lbs of 80/20 or 75/25 ground beef

- seasoned with Weber "Steak N Chop" seasoning

- cook on high heat grill, leaving some pink in center

- top with extra sharp cheddar + bacon OR an over easy egg + bacon

- pretzel rolls are a plus

Of the true fast food places (McD's, BK, Wendy's, Sonic, Culver's, Hardee's/Carl's Jr), it's definitely Wendy's. Of the almost-fast food places it's Five Guys. SmashBurger is good too.

My favorite in Chicago though is Rockwell's. It's in Lincoln Square, on Rockwell two blocks south of Lawrence.

When I make them at home I'll usually do it jucy lucy style and put cheddar in the middle, add in some steak seasoning and garlic powder.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
I think my favorite burger in the world is the char cheddar double cheeseburger from Gold Coast at Union Station. Real ground beef, plus liquid cheddar cheese poured on top which oozes down into the cracks and crevasses of the burger.

I can hear your mangasm from here.

Im not gonna lie, Wendys jumped the shark for me. I used to love it, now im not so into it. I think its the baconator, i prefer the Bacon classic and they act like its a big pain in the ass to make that and charge me extra for the lettuce/tomato/onion

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
Im not gonna lie, Wendys jumped the shark for me. I used to love it, now im not so into it. I think its the baconator, i prefer the Bacon classic and they act like its a big pain in the ass to make that and charge me extra for the lettuce/tomato/onion

I also prefer the Big Bacon Classic

I used to love Stubbs burger rub.

Amazing on the grill, but they discontinued it. <_>

If I'm dying for a burger and I don't care about calories, I'll go to Wendys and get a triple with everything.

Five Guys is good too, but I can't eat their fries etc. due to allergies.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
I used to love Stubbs burger rub.

Amazing on the grill, but they discontinued it. <_>

If I'm dying for a burger and I don't care about calories, I'll go to Wendys and get a triple with everything.

Five Guys is good too, but I can't eat their fries etc. due to allergies.

Redamaks? They are seasonal though.