2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
You would be wrong. This season is gravy. You better believe the Flubs are the favorite for David Price.

Epstein isn't shortsighted. No high end Cub prospect is worth a rental.

And exactly how many of those huge $125-150+ million contracts for 5-6+ years for pitchers at age 29/30/31 or over have worked out well for their teams?

A couple?

If the Cubs win the World Series and Lester and Price fall off a cliff in a couple of years, it won't matter...but it's not like Price guarantees anything any more than the Dodgers spending $300 million has even guaranteed them a place in the playoffs.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 10:01 PM)
And exactly how many of those huge $125-150+ million contracts for 5-6+ years for pitchers at age 29/30/31 or over have worked out well for their teams?

A couple?

If the Cubs win the World Series and Lester and Price fall off a cliff in a couple of years, it won't matter...but it's not like Price guarantees anything any more than the Dodgers spending $300 million has even guaranteed them a place in the playoffs.

The cap is play money in the MLB when you develop talent in your own system. The offense is still dirt cheap.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
He has been so far this year...still doesn't mean I wouldn't want Sale going forward.

Advanced stats say Sale is having the better year. of course this is right now. Tomorrow morning, it could be different

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:04 AM)
fWAR:

1) Kershaw: 6.6

2) Sale: 5.8

8) Arrieta: 4.9

14) Quintana: 3.8

I have more of an idea for offense, but how is that figured out for pitchers? Seems ridiculous if the difference between Sale and Arrieta is almost same between Arrieta and Q.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 10:01 PM)
See edit in my earlier comment.

Bottom line, NL = NBA Eastern Conference, AL = NBA Western Conference. I believe Sale would absolutely dominate in the NL and I have yet to see factual evidence provided in this thread that would change my mind. Sure you can call the statistics that I cited as insignificant due to sample size but what statistics do you have that would prove this small sample size should be completely disregarded?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 10:05 PM)
I have more of an idea for offense, but how is that figured out for pitchers? Seems ridiculous if the difference between Sale and Arrieta is almost same between Arrieta and Q.

One of them will possibly have that opportunity.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:07 AM)
Bottom line, NL = NBA Eastern Conference, AL = NBA Western Conference. I believe Sale would absolutely dominate in the NL and I have yet to see factual evidence provided in this thread that would change my mind. Sure you can call the statistics that I cited as insignificant due to sample size but what statistics do you have that would prove this small sample size should be completely disregarded?

I agree Sale would probably benefit being in the NL probably more than just about anyone. The NL seems to really struggle hitting offspeed pitches. Also, Sale would dominate pitchers trying to bat so much, he could easily pitch around the 8 hitter if he's in trouble.

I've seen Hammel and Samardzija dominate in the NL with their offspeed pitches and look like trash in the AL throwing the same pitches.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)

It's based mostly on FIP. According to advanced metrics Sale and Kluber have been the two best pitchers in the AL this year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:09 AM)
It's based mostly on FIP. According to advanced metrics Sale and Kluber have been the two best pitchers in the AL this year.

The only reason I'm not a fan of FIP is that it puts so much emphasis on strikeouts.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:09 AM)
absolutely and so will the cardinals if they get past the pirates in the play-in game

Pirates have some good righty hitters to face Arrieta, who holds lefties to about a .450 OPS and righties to around .575

If you watched tonight, lefties had no prayer on his Loaiza-esque slider

QUOTE (lord chas @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:11 AM)
Did I hear correctly that the Cubs will be traveling home wearing onesie pajamas? Remind me to stay off social media tomorrow

Yep, the great Joe Maddon left Lester in to die last night, but he'll get credit for keeping them loose

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
I agree Sale would probably benefit being in the NL probably more than just about anyone. The NL seems to really struggle hitting offspeed pitches. Also, Sale would dominate pitchers trying to bat so much, he could easily pitch around the 8 hitter if he's in trouble.

I've seen Hammel and Samardzija dominate in the NL with their offspeed pitches and look like trash in the AL throwing the same pitches.

thank you. It is perplexing that fellow Sox fans would adamantly argue this and claim that the idea of Sale having an ERA below 2 pitching in the NL this year as "far-fetched". It's almost like Sox fans have no idea how big of a disparity there is right now between the two leagues. It's really not even close. throw in the pitcher batting instead of a DH 3 times a game and it's the exact opposite of far-fetched.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)
absolutely and so will the cardinals if they get past the pirates in the play-in game

God this we are so White Sox fans. What matters is the Cubs are in it and we are perpetually garbage.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 10:11 PM)
Pirates have some good righty hitters to face Arrieta, who holds lefties to about a .450 OPS and righties to around .575

If you watched tonight, lefties had no prayer on his Loaiza-esque slider

funny you say that because I mentioned to my buddies earlier this year how much Arrieta reminds me of White Sox Loaiza. Sets hitters up with the fastball and puts them away with the hard breaking slider. Also hitting spots at ease the way Loaiza did with the Sox.

Honestly it's foolhardy to make predictions on what will happen in the playoffs. Baseball is just so random anything could happen and I wouldn't be surprised. A team could win 115 games 5 straight seasons and never get out of the first round. On the other hand, a mediocre team could get hot and win it all due to some scrub playing over his head. The quality of the team means less in the baseball playoffs than in any other sport. You just have to get in.