2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
Ex Machina, wow!

Is the lead actress in that film as good as some critics are claiming?

Wish I could see it here in China...perhaps it will show up 6 months from now.

As is, it's going to get swallowed by Avengers 2 on May 12th. Meanwhile, Furious 7 is continuing to outpace US box office numbers.

www.cbooo.cn

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Is the lead actress in that film as good as some critics are claiming?

Wish I could see it here in China...perhaps it will show up 6 months from now.

As is, it's going to get swallowed by Avengers 2 on May 12th. Meanwhile, Furious 7 is continuing to outpace US box office numbers.

www.cbooo.cn

The whole thing is just excellent.

It's hard to analyze her performance because she's obviously straight faced with not much emotion. In that aspect, she was very good.

In some ways it reminded me of Fincher's The Game as it messes with your head and makes you keep guessing what is real and what isn't.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
I feel bad for DC a fans who are excited for this. Shocking it's a mess with auteur like Zack Snyder at the helm.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2015/warner-br...matic-universe/

I've said for a while that DC is a mess right now. They basically jumped right into Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice with little to no lead up. They are trying so hard to ride the coat tales of Marvel and they are panicking.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
I've said for a while that DC is a mess right now. They basically jumped right into Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice with little to no lead up. They are trying so hard to ride the coat tales of Marvel and they are panicking.

Actually I think they are trying too hard to NOT follow the Marvel model, and that's what is hurting them. Not riding coattails

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avengers_a...amp;sort=rotten

All the 33 negative reviews (which won't stop a single person from attending) of Age of Ultron...looks like around $215-225 million for the opening weekend in the US.

Still has a pretty impressive 74% positive rate, but not as highly-admired by critics as the first Avengers film.

Will start its run in China, May 12th (starts on a Monday night at midnight).

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
I feel bad for DC a fans who are excited for this. Shocking it's a mess with auteur like Zack Snyder at the helm.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2015/warner-br...matic-universe/

Zack Snyder running your cinematic universe will lead to a bad time.

And Age of Ultron will probably shatter box office records. Even if reviews say it isn't as good as the first, the second film always seems to be the roughest in a trilogy.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)

And Age of Ultron will probably shatter box office records. Even if reviews say it isn't as good as the first, the second film always seems to be the roughest in a trilogy.

I would guess part 3 usually is. I loved Spiderman 2 lots more than the first. The Tobey ones. And we all know how 3 was.

The Dark Knight was my favorite of the 3.

I love all these DC is struggling articles. Even though 4 of their last 5 movies have grossed the same as and if not more than the Marvel movies. Green Lantern being the big bust.

The only movie to blow them out of the water was the first and probably this Avengers movie. Which really isn't that shocking. Combining every super hero that you have is going equal big bucks. I'm sure Justice League will gross similar to these movies.

I never really got all the DC vs Marvel stuff anyway. I've always enjoyed both of their comics and the recent movies they made.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
I love all these DC is struggling articles. Even though 4 of their last 5 movies have grossed the same as and if not more than the Marvel movies. Green Lantern being the big bust.

The only movie to blow them out of the water was the first and probably this Avengers movie. Which really isn't that shocking. Combining every super hero that you have is going equal big bucks. I'm sure Justice League will gross similar to these movies.

I never really got all the DC vs Marvel stuff anyway. I've always enjoyed both of their comics and the recent movies they make.

Come on now, the Nolan Batman movies arent the same as Man of Steel. Just like Ang Lees Hulk isnt the same as the Marvel Phase movies, it may be a character within the MCU but it is not to be held up with them.

Gross box office take doesnt equal good movie. Transformers has shamelessly made more money for Bay than anyone would like to admit, but those were terrible movies. I want BvS to be good, but i really dont think it will be.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
Come on now, the Nolan Batman movies arent the same as Man of Steel. Just like Ang Lees Hulk isnt the same as the Marvel Phase movies, it may be a character within the MCU but it is not to be held up with them.

Gross box office take doesnt equal good movie. Transformers has shamelessly made more money for Bay than anyone would like to admit, but those were terrible movies. I want BvS to be good, but i really dont think it will be.

Why aren't they the same? I don't get that, hell they were pretty much made by the same people. Sure the Batman movies are better. Just like Avengers is a ten times better movie than Iron Man 2.

Man of Steel gets a lot of hate here, but that doesn't mean everyone hated it. Most people I know liked it. It also didn't review that bad. About the same as some of the other Marvel movies.

If people are going to go around praising Marvel for being the best thing ever. With movies like Iron Man 2, Captain America: First Avenger and Thor 2. Those movies were no better than Man of Steel. Review wise and box office gross.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Why aren't they the same? I don't get that, hell they were pretty much made by the same people. Sure the Batman movies are better. Just like Avengers is a ten times better movie than Iron Man 2.

Man of Steel gets a lot of hate here, but that doesn't mean everyone hated it. Most people I know liked it. It also didn't review that bad. About the same as some of the other Marvel movies.

If people are going to go around praising Marvel for being the best thing ever. With movies like Iron Man 2, Captain America: First Avenger and Thor 2. Those movies were no better than Man of Steel. Review wise and box office gross.

Because they are self contained storylines within those characters universes, that have no impact on the MCU or DCU going forward. They are completely unrelated to anything in the next movies.

I am not gonna sit here and tell you that Batman vs Superman is going to suck because Batman and Robin was terrible(but it made a lot of money!). The same people made Batman and Robin, but you know that it isnt the same universe as what is being started with Man of Steel. They shouldnt be compared.

Marvel gets props because even with some minor setbacks in their storyline(that you mentioned), they have still maintained a greater storyline within a very broad spectrum of movies.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Because they are self contained storylines within those characters universes, that have no impact on the MCU or DCU going forward. They are completely unrelated to anything in the next movies.

I am not gonna sit here and tell you that Batman vs Superman is going to suck because Batman and Robin was terrible(but it made a lot of money!). The same people made Batman and Robin, but you know that it isnt the same universe as what is being started with Man of Steel. They shouldnt be compared.

Marvel gets props because even with some minor setbacks in their storyline(that you mentioned), they have still maintained a greater storyline within a very broad spectrum of movies.

Oh, I see what you are saying with the continuing storyline.

I think that's cool that Marvel has connected all the movies and made them part of the greater MCU, but I don't think it's a necessity. If Marvel came out with three Thor movies that had nothing to do with the rest of MCU and they were really good, it wouldn't matter to me.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
Oh, I see what you are saying with the continuing storyline.

I think that's cool that Marvel has connected all the movies and made them part of the greater MCU, but I don't think it's a necessity. If Marvel came out with three Thor movies that had nothing to do with the rest of MCU and they were really good, it wouldn't matter to me.

But if you are leading up to Justice League, which DC is trying to do, it is very much a necessity. And reading about all of these (rumored) problems behind the scenes at DC, it is pretty concerning.

I very much wanted MoS to be good. Me and you talked about being excited for it to come out, and when i finally saw it, i wasnt blown away like I felt like i should have been. I blame Snyder for that, and I don't really see him atoning for the mistakes he made(imo), but rather reinforcing them.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
But if you are leading up to Justice League, which DC is trying to do, it is very much a necessity. And reading about all of these (rumored) problems behind the scenes at DC, it is pretty concerning.

I very much wanted MoS to be good. Me and you talked about being excited for it to come out, and when i finally saw it, i wasnt blown away like I felt like i should have been. I blame Snyder for that, and I don't really see him atoning for the mistakes he made(imo), but rather reinforcing them.

That is where I think DC is making a mistake. Trying to copy what Marvel did with the greater universe. I think they've done a good job of being different from Marvel as far as the type of movies they are making. Let Marvel make the light hearted comedy movies and you make the darker more serious films. I like the variety. I just don't get why they have to make a universe. Just make a good Wonder Woman movie. Just make a good Aquaman movie. If you make good movies, you can always put them together later on.

As far as Zac Snyder goes, that is going to have to be a difference of opinion on him. I've liked most of the movies he's done and I think he is getting better with every movie. Some people don't like his movies. Just the way it goes.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)

JMO - the weakest of those was IM2 and it was still far, far better than MOS. MOS was basically unwatchable. I wanted it over.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 11:42 PM)

The Empire Strikes Back

The Dark Knight

Spiderman 2

Godfather 2

The Winter Soldier

Superman II

Aliens

Toy Story 2

Wrath of Khan

Terminator II

Evil Dead II

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
The Empire Strikes Back

The Dark Knight

Spiderman 2

Godfather 2

The Winter Soldier

Superman II

Aliens

Toy Story 2

Wrath of Khan

Terminator II

Evil Dead II

Was mostly agreeing with this until the boldedSAYWHAT?!?! I mean T2 had cool effects (for the time) and all, but it was nowhere near the movie the first one was, for me anyway. The originial Terminator was ground-breaking as a film, not just for the special effects it used.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
Was mostly agreeing with this until the boldedSAYWHAT?!?! I mean T2 had cool effects (for the time) and all, but it was nowhere near the movie the first one was, for me anyway. The originial Terminator was ground-breaking as a film, not just for the special effects it used.

The original Terminator was very low-budget and not really that notable. The sequel made it a box office franchise contender.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
The original Terminator was very low-budget and not really that notable. The sequel made it a box office franchise contender.

T2 was a business success. And a technological one. But I thought we were talking about quality of films. The original movie is a cult classic, and had some angles and characters that seem common now but were not then. T2's story and characters were pretty shallow and unoriginal, and frankly it wasn't a very exciting movie despite the flash and dash.

I think T1 and T2 are similar to Alien and Aliens in that the sequels are wholly different from the originals. Both of the originals are all about being trapped by the unknown, not knowing what is hunting you and why, whereas the sequels are all about showing off the star enemy of the original in a different way.

I like all four movies, I dont see the sequels as being better than the originals, but I definitely see them being just as good.