2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ May 15, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
Watched Locke last night.

It was pretty good, but only for what it was. It ended and I was like "holy hell, the dude is literally just talking on a car phone the whole time".

Sign of an excellent performance.

Ryan Reynolds almost pulled it off in a casket...

http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-...d-runs-down-37m

Mad Max performing around expectations...just that PP2 was 25-30% higher than what everyone predicted so its dominating the perception game.

Amazingly, Paul Blart tumbles along profitably with like one positive review in the entire world. They'll undoubtedly greenlight a third one now.

Ex Machina is a much better version of HER (Joaquin Phoenix/Scarlett Johannson).

It's a bit slow in developing, and there's very little action...but it's a captivating movie nonetheless.

Jason Isaac is very good as the creepy techno-genius/billionaire version of Zuckerberg/Jobs/Larry Ellison, and you might recognize the lead of the movie from a recent time travel movie appropriately titled "About Time" with Rachel McAdams and the always-watchable Bill Nighy.

The ending is a surprise on what you would expect, but follows logically with the plot. All things considered, there was a lot more to take from this film than Avengers 2 or Furious 7.

It's the Snowpiercer of 2015 (so far)...a movie that will definitely have its share of critics but will undoubtedly belong in a discussion of the Top 10-15 films at the ends of the year.

Edited by caulfield12

Not a dig on you caufield because you're not the only one I've seen it from, but I see no comparison of Ex Machina to Her, outside of it being a less action scifi movie.

Eva and Samantha both being artificial intelligence is the only similarities and they had different motives, if Samantha had any motive at all.

I guess maybe it does make for some kind of discussion after all.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 18, 2015 -> 03:49 AM)
Not a dig on you caufield because you're not the only one I've seen it from, but I see no comparison of Ex Machina to Her, outside of it being a less action scifi movie.

Eva and Samantha both being artificial intelligence is the only similarities and they had different motives, if Samantha had any motive at all.

I guess maybe it does make for some kind of discussion after all.

How are we to assume Samantha didn't have a motive, haha?

Well it didn't really feel like an action piece along with lines of I, Robot or AI, which would be another one that comes to mind.

Maybe the most recent Robocop remake has some of those elements. Transcendence, although that movie was complete and utter crap.

It had that futuristic feel like Elysium, Oblivion (the cabin by the lake....lab by the lake in a remote region reachable only by helo).

From another perspective, it was a classic game of cat and mouse. In the end, it's really hard to find an apt comparison.

The best I can come up with is 2001: A Space Odyssey and HAL.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (MEANS @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)
Isn't it Oscar Isaac? Same guy that's playing the X wing fighter pilot in SW:TFA

Yes, it is Oscar, not Jason

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
Mad Max was brilliant. It was just crazy over the top action.

It also figures that one of the better action movies of the past 10 years is out grossed by a singing competition movie.

you can thank Rowand44 for that

Kill The Messenger - 2 out of 5 stars.

Went into it thinking it was going to be more exciting and fast-paced and was disappointed. Jeremy Renner is one of my favorite actors but this was a subpar film. They could have made it so much better, but went low-budget and never showed you the "good" parts. It was a decent film as a historic piece, but not a good film if you're looking for an exciting story.

McFarland USA's a pretty nifty "made for tv" sports movie, predictable and formulaic but worth watching. (About an all Mexican immigrant/farm working community's cross country team surprising everyone in California about 25 years ago).

Wonder how many sports-related movies Costner's done at this point in his career? Must be at least 10, starting with the very first movie I saw him in, American Flyers, about bicycle racing.

QUOTE (juddling @ May 23, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
Cascade drive in in West Chicago opening this weekend with Pitch Perfect 2 and Mad Max. I'm there

This summer will be the first summer in like 50 years that the last drive in up here is closed. Some company bought the land and building a Walmart. I didn't go much but kinda sad. Went to drive ins as a kid. Nostalgic.

QUOTE (juddling @ May 23, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
Cascade drive in in West Chicago opening this weekend with Pitch Perfect 2 and Mad Max. I'm there

I used to go there as a kid, I lived right by there, up fair oaks road in Carol Stream

QUOTE (Brian @ May 23, 2015 -> 07:49 PM)
This summer will be the first summer in like 50 years that the last drive in up here is closed. Some company bought the land and building a Walmart. I didn't go much but kinda sad. Went to drive ins as a kid. Nostalgic.

Our town Drive-In got turned into a Walmart as well.

Still Alice was really short. Like an hour and a half. Felt like it shouldve been longer with that source material. Was still good. Maybe it was better it was short. Time seems to go by faster when you're suffering from that disease. Over analyzing maybe.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2015 -> 02:12 AM)
Ex Machina is a much better version of HER (Joaquin Phoenix/Scarlett Johannson).

It's a bit slow in developing, and there's very little action...but it's a captivating movie nonetheless.

Jason Isaac is very good as the creepy techno-genius/billionaire version of Zuckerberg/Jobs/Larry Ellison, and you might recognize the lead of the movie from a recent time travel movie appropriately titled "About Time" with Rachel McAdams and the always-watchable Bill Nighy.

The ending is a surprise on what you would expect, but follows logically with the plot. All things considered, there was a lot more to take from this film than Avengers 2 or Furious 7.

It's the Snowpiercer of 2015 (so far)...a movie that will definitely have its share of critics but will undoubtedly belong in a discussion of the Top 10-15 films at the ends of the year.

I just saw Ex Machina. Liked it, didn't love it. I think the philosophical, thought-provoking parts were strong and two of the three performances were strong (didn't fully buy the writing and/or acting of Caleb). The twists were good, too, although I thought one or two were predictable. Overall, it didn't blow me away. It was entertaining, but didn't leave a lasting impression on me like a great movie does.