2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:42 AM)
Not gonna lie, I enjoyed Battleship for what it was.

And yes, I'll see San Andreas. Mmmmm Daddario

You're watching for the "sensuous curves" or acting skills?

I guess she wasn't (by a long stretch) the worst element of the Percy Jackson films.

As long as you're not a Taylor Kitsch fan. Or Rihanna the thespian.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ May 28, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
Looks like another dud for Cameron Crowe. "ALOHA" getting 11% on RT.

Think Almost Famous is the only film of his I really liked. Say Anything was fine and Jerry McGuire is highly overrated.

Singles was pretty good with a great soundtrack. Obviously his best work was as the writer for Fast Times at Ridgemont High

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
Singles was pretty good with a great soundtrack. Obviously his best work was as the writer for Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Yeah, I simply destroyed that cassette and The Cult's Electric by playing them too much on the cheap car stereo in 1993.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
Saw it last night. It's as bad as you'd think, yet entertaining at the same time. One of the most action-packed movies I've ever seen.

There is a spot for those type of movies in popular culture, I hate how critics try to compare them to movies with an actual plot. I like watching action movies with the volume cranked on occasion.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
Saw it last night. It's as bad as you'd think, yet entertaining at the same time. One of the most action-packed movies I've ever seen.

It looks so ridiculous that I may enjoy it. Hard to explain.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
There is a spot for those type of movies in popular culture, I hate how critics try to compare them to movies with an actual plot. I like watching action movies with the volume cranked on occasion.

Exactly. I loved Armageddon when I was younger.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ May 29, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
Exactly. I loved Armageddon when I was younger.

i think i will pass on this one. Johnson acting is well, hard to take.

Armageddon is a great movie, for the first 4 times i watched it. now..... forget about it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
Completely understand...can't wait to watch this movie 1,000 times when it's on TNT in 5 years.

....in a movie marathon with con-air, the rock, Armageddon, deep impact, and face-off

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 29, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
....in a movie marathon with con-air, the rock, Armageddon, deep impact, and face-off

Deep Impact is so cheesy. More dramatic than over the top action.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 29, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Deep Impact is so cheesy. More dramatic than over the top action.

Tea Leoni is just so hard to watch act...that movie has too many contrived personal narratives that attempt to make you care about their imminent doom (like the beach scene with her father) which lead to just get on with the megadestruction, will you?

Armaggedon has the Bayness about it...so that you can watch it over and over again.

(Somehow it helps if you imagine Borat singing the national anthem of Kazakhstan in the background, America always shows up in the white hat to save the day...and there has to be a cool theme song, a hot girl, at least one scene with the whole gang walking in stride towards the camera with the concrete shimmering and flags unfurling and kissing wives or gfs goodbye.)

Plus Con-Air has Vanessa Marcil in one of her few movie appearances.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Tidal wave scene in NYC is pretty cool though. The Day After Tomorrow is another one to add to the TNT marathon.

If nothing else, for sheer shock value to see how Emmy Rossum's changed so much from that point and Phantom of the Opera to current day.

Plus you have helicopters with rotor blades freezing...rabid Russian dogs on container ships..and the scene where they have to let the father die (cutting the rope) when they break the glass while unknowingly walking on top of a NJ mall. And you can never root against Dennis Quaid. He's doggedly persistent in that one.

The best one is in 2012 where the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy wipes out Danny Glover's White House.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
The reviews for Inside Out are absolutely incredible so far and a lot of people have said it was easily the best film at Cannes. Looks like a return to form for Pixar. I'm excited for that movie coming out in a couple of weeks.

20/20 in positive reviews.

Seems like the perfect "message" movie for kids these days. Good timing...we've had a lot of "empty" movies recently without many redeeming qualities other than mindless entertainment.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_out_2015/#

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
The reviews for Inside Out are absolutely incredible so far and a lot of people have said it was easily the best film at Cannes. Looks like a return to form for Pixar. I'm excited for that movie coming out in a couple of weeks.

Return to form? You haven't liked their last couple films?