2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys I have the week off. What movies should I order off amazon.com or anywhere else on the internet? No movies are coming to mind. I'd prefer comedies but I'll take other good movies I'm forgetting. I searched tonight and nothing screamed "Order me." I was going to order Horrible Bosses II but it looked dumb. I was gonna order Dumb and Dumber Too but it looked dumb. And I was gonna order Hangover II or III and they looked lousy. I loved all 3 originals. I've already seen Anchorman II.

Went to see Ted 2 today. Wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. Have to agree with Roeper. Some good lines that made me laugh out loud, don't get me wrong, but not that good. Thinking about going to see the movie Spy tomorrow.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 12:01 AM)
Saw a few reviews from people that saw it at Sundance, they say he steals the scenes he is in.

Excited to see it, have a hunch it's going to be one of those classic comedies of the last 15 years (40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad, ect)

I think it looks promising, as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 11:15 PM)
Guys I have the week off. What movies should I order off amazon.com or anywhere else on the internet? No movies are coming to mind. I'd prefer comedies but I'll take other good movies I'm forgetting. I searched tonight and nothing screamed "Order me." I was going to order Horrible Bosses II but it looked dumb. I was gonna order Dumb and Dumber Too but it looked dumb. And I was gonna order Hangover II or III and they looked lousy. I loved all 3 originals. I've already seen Anchorman II.

Went to see Ted 2 today. Wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. Have to agree with Roeper. Some good lines that made me laugh out loud, don't get me wrong, but not that good. Thinking about going to see the movie Spy tomorrow.

Greg, not a movie, but have you seen season one of True Detective?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/sxs...e-film-20150315

Me and my partner saw a very rough cut of this movie during the fall of last year, and it was amazing. Very John Carpenter-esque and super intense, the scenes with the boy were just fantastic.

There's going to be an update at Comic Con, so check it out

Edited by Joshua Strong

I have a soft spot in my heart for the old X-Files TV show. That said, I just rented and watched the 2008 movie, X-Files: I Want To Believe, last night.

What a waste of two hours.

It was a rehash of the TV show but the plot wasn't that exciting, the story was thin, and the acting and characters weren't interesting. They made better one hour TV episodes than this movie. If you're going to make a feature film, at least get a good script.

1.5 stars out of 5.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 12:10 AM)

Me and my partner saw a very rough cut of this movie during the fall of last year, and it was amazing. Very John Carpenter-esque and super intense, the scenes with the boy were just fantastic.

Thanks, that sounds really encouraging. Jeff Nichols has had a tremendous start to his career, and my expectations for Midnight Special were already pretty high.

Also, someone told me I look like Michael Shannon a few weeks ago. I really don't know how to feel about that, lol.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 12:10 AM)

This sounds really good. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this one.

I really liked Jeff Nichols last movie "Mud".

QUOTE (shoeless_joe21 @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
Thanks, that sounds really encouraging. Jeff Nichols has had a tremendous start to his career, and my expectations for Midnight Special were already pretty high.

Also, someone told me I look like Michael Shannon a few weeks ago. I really don't know how to feel about that, lol.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
This sounds really good. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this one.

I really liked Jeff Nichols last movie "Mud".

I was shocked that it was that good because it was an assembly cut, it was in the very stages of the editing process, so there was no special effects, a temp score and what not.

He's a nice guy too. He answered every question and responded to everyone in the room and afterwards he took time to speak with everyone.

He was in line to direct Aquaman but he chose to do another original flick.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)
I downloaded Mad Max because that's how I see movies these days. Found a real good rip, surprisingly.

Anyway, it's an awesome, demented action flick with great stunts. I was hooked.

Nice, its been ripped? Looks like I have something to watch tonight.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)
I was shocked that it was that good because it was an assembly cut, it was in the very stages of the editing process, so there was no special effects, a temp score and what not.

He's a nice guy too. He answered every question and responded to everyone in the room and afterwards he took time to speak with everyone.

He was in line to direct Aquaman but he chose to do another original flick.

Oh yeah, I think I remember reading he was in line to helm Aquaman. I'm always selfishly disappointed when exciting up-and-coming writer/directors start taking on blockbuster projects. It's hard to fault anyone for raking in millions of dollars, but it's sad to see a young talent limit themselves creatively. Glad to hear Nichols is going to keep doing his own thing, at least for the time being.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
Nice, its been ripped? Looks like I have something to watch tonight.

It's a WEB-DL. Somebody got a Blu-Ray quality stream of it online and ripped it.

The movie just came out around a month ago. Rips that good this early are extremely rare.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
movie companies are starting to put digital watermarks on the preview DVDs because these rips are becoming more and more common. Im sure some will be sniffed out and removed

There's so many sources for this kind of stuff now. Before it was a lot of DVD screeners they send out to reviewers that get leaked. Those had watermarks, but people just cropped them and that would usually get rid of them.

Now there's rips from Asia with subtitles coming out about a few weeks after a movie's release.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
It's a WEB-DL. Somebody got a Blu-Ray quality stream of it online and ripped it.

The movie just came out around a month ago. Rips that good this early are extremely rare.

I just got a 1080p torrent of it. Quality is very very good.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
Terminator: Genysis was nonsensical garbage. My one buddy said it wasn't good but fun. It's neither.

I am hearing a lot of this but I absolutely loved it. If you liked the first Terminator I dont see how you wouldnt like this. It was the same movie but expanded upon. :huh

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
Terminator: Genysis was nonsensical garbage. My one buddy said it wasn't good but fun. It's neither.

1) Jai Courtney sucks and always will.

2) Emilia needs to stick to blonde hair, nalf nude and GoT. She just didn't fit into that role, something was just OFF. (I'm joking about the nudity part, lest someone who was upset about the black cocktail dress girls at the Women's World Cup lays into me for sexism, lol).

3) Arnie is just too old to sustain that type of physical role, since the one liners were stale about 20 years ago.

4) Jason Clarke as John Connor didn't work either...miss the charisma of someone like Christian Bale. Of course, if it was Bale against Jai Courtney, that would have been laughable as well.

5) Even JK Simmons can't elevate bad scripts with 3-5 minutes of screen time.

On the plus side, ME and EARL and The Dying Girl was a pleasant surprise and took the bitterness of Terminator away.

Waiting for Greg775's Magic Mike XL review with bated breath. Will he dare go when the it's a 95% female audience? Seems an interesting way to meet a concupiscent girl at an afternoon "Bachelorette Party" matinee, haha.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
I am hearing a lot of this but I absolutely loved it. If you liked the first Terminator I dont see how you wouldnt like this. It was the same movie but expanded upon. :huh

Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton just threw up in their mouths a bit.

Even Batman.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)

its not even comparable to the first 2. In action and tone...nothing. It was lazy and full of holes.

I though Emilia Clarke actually resembled a young Linda Hamilton and was fine but maybe not muscular or tall enough like she was in T2.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (shoeless_joe21 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
I'm always selfishly disappointed when exciting up-and-coming writer/directors start taking on blockbuster projects. It's hard to fault anyone for raking in millions of dollars, but it's sad to see a young talent limit themselves creatively.

I wouldn't go that far. Remember Aquaman is a DC character and DC is owned by Warner Brothers, who is known to be the most filmmaker friendly studio in Hollywood, they gave Jeff Nichols final cut on Midnight Special, his first studio film. This isn't Disney/Marvel where you have to follow a strict formula, and aren't allowed any freedom to express yourself, which is Edgar Wright left Ant-Man and Ava DuVernay passed on Black Panther. And whether its an original film or a blockbuster, there is going to be limitations.

Edited by Joshua Strong