The Backup Catcher

Jose Abreu

Backup Catcher  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be backup catcher?

• Geovany Soto
    • George Kottaras
    • Adrian Nieto
    • Rob Brantly
    • Other

I voted for Rob Brantly because I don't want anybody to get a zero, but I like Brantly's bat better than his glove:

Rob Brantly's stats

StatCorner.com listed Brantly near the bottom on it's 2013 pitch-framing web page (he didn't play at the MLB level in 2014.)

He has thrown out 18 would-be base stealers in 72 attempts – 25%.

That said, the back-up will either be Kottaras for his LH bat or Soto for his defense.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
Kottaras, Brantly and Nieto (when it matters)

if you are thinking that Nieto will be up in the majors, i don't see that happening. he really needs a full season of at bats and time behind the plate. my thinking is that the sox see potential and the sox want to fully develop Nieto.

beyond him, does the sox really have another potential full time major league catcher in the minors??

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
Yes.

It will be Brantly or Kottaras simply because they are LH and have experience. Nieto will be in AA starting IMO

I think it is easy to initially make that assumption, but I don't think they care about the backup being lefty as much otherwise they wouldn't have brought in Soto. I love the major league depth that we have at the catcher position heading into spring training. Let them duke it out for a month and see who seems to serve the role best.