FS: Seven Spring Training Storylines

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
We should hear today just about every player is in the greatest shape of their lives.

The had Gillaspie on CSN yesterday. He drove 18 hours straight from Kansas and arrived yesterday.

Why wouldn't you break that up a little bit?

Because he's as intense as Ryan Gosling in "Drive" and his g/f has already seen the Grand Canyon?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
We should hear today just about every player is in the greatest shape of their lives.

The had Gillaspie on CSN yesterday. He drove 18 hours straight from Kansas and arrived yesterday.

Why wouldn't you break that up a little bit?

If I had to guess at anyone on the White Sox team that would be the person to drive 18 straight hours to get to spring training, it would be Connor.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
I just don't think this is true or smart. I don't want to sacrifice 1 entire year of control of a stud Boras client that will be in his prime for an extra month and a half in the big leagues. Rodon is ticketed for Charlotte and it's the right call regardless of what the White Sox say.

I think this line of thinking is somewhat backwards. Sure, if Rodon doesn't pitch for the Sox until June, they'll get an extra year of control - which is great, and should try to achieve that, IMO. However, they're also giving up 40% of a season of Rodon on the front end. It is a good trade off, in theory, but if the SOX need him before June, and he is healthy and the best option, they won't hesitate to call him up. I just hope it isn't in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
I just don't think this is true or smart. I don't want to sacrifice 1 entire year of control of a stud Boras client that will be in his prime for an extra month and a half in the big leagues. Rodon is ticketed for Charlotte and it's the right call regardless of what the White Sox say.

If the White Sox feel that Rodon is pitching well enough to be the potential difference between winning and losing the division, Rodon will be on the roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
If the White Sox feel that Rodon is pitching well enough to be the potential difference between winning and losing the division, Rodon will be on the roster.

I can't see them making that determination in the next 6 weeks. They probably go to spring training with a roster in mind that doesn't include Rodon.

They just got done admitting they rushed Beckham in 2009. I know it's different with pitching, but there is no rush right now. They have five starters, and two lefties in the pen. Until it's clear they need to move Danks or Noesi out of the rotation, or Dan Jennings pitches his way out of the pen, or an injury or trade happens, there really is no reason for Rodon to make the team out of spring training. He can get his starts in the minors to build up some innings and be ready to come up later on when there is a need.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
I think this line of thinking is somewhat backwards. Sure, if Rodon doesn't pitch for the Sox until June, they'll get an extra year of control - which is great, and should try to achieve that, IMO. However, they're also giving up 40% of a season of Rodon on the front end. It is a good trade off, in theory, but if the SOX need him before June, and he is healthy and the best option, they won't hesitate to call him up. I just hope it isn't in the bullpen.

What needs to be remembered is that if Rodon is limited to 160-ish innings on the year, which would actually be a helluva lot of effort to hang on his arm since the most he's ever had is 130 innings and that was against college level competition, they're going to have to replace 25-30% of his season anyway, and that's if everything went spectacularly for a guy making a jump from college to the big leagues.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)

That's not true though -- to get the extra year of control, they only need to wait a couple weeks. The June date is relevant if they want to dodge the Super Two deadline, but you can throw that out the window and still get the extra year. And the year is WAY more valuable than avoiding Super Two.

The cost is just basically nothing. You're talking about getting a seventh year of control and all you have to do is give Hector Noesi two starts. Pending some kind major injury/depth issues, it would be a flat-out boneheaded move for the Sox to break camp with Rodon.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
That's not true though -- to get the extra year of control, they only need to wait a couple weeks. The June date is relevant if they want to dodge the Super Two deadline, but you can throw that out the window and still get the extra year. And the year is WAY more valuable than avoiding Super Two.

The cost is just basically nothing. You're talking about getting a seventh year of control and all you have to do is give Hector Noesi two starts. Pending some kind major injury/depth issues, it would be a flat-out boneheaded move for the Sox to break camp with Rodon.

Are we sure that it is just a couple weeks for the extra year though?

If so I agree, complete no-brainer for him to be in Charlotte (barring injuries that force the Sox' hand).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)

If so I agree, complete no-brainer for him to be in Charlotte (barring injuries that force the Sox' hand).

I think technically all it has to be is one day, though that would bring a grievance from the union.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)

Ok, well the dates seem to be all over the place. This is the first time I have heard only two weeks. Much like NSS, if it is only a few weeks, yeah run whoever out there a few times to get the extra year of control. But if there is a need for Rodon, I don't think the SOX will virtually punt 5-8 starts by starting say a still-damaged Johnson, Carroll or Beck if Rodon is healthy and needed.

Does anyone know for sure when the cut-off is?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
I think technically all it has to be is one day, though that would bring a grievance from the union.

Right, the trick is just to prevent him from having six full years of service time at the end of his sixth year. But if a team was obviously gaming that system, they'd get in trouble. So they say something like "we wanted him to get a couple starts under his belt to work on command" and give it a couple weeks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Ok, well the dates seem to be all over the place. This is the first time I have heard only two weeks. Much like NSS, if it is only a few weeks, yeah run whoever out there a few times to get the extra year of control. But if there is a need for Rodon, I don't think the SOX will virtually punt 5-8 starts by starting say a still-damaged Johnson, Carroll or Beck if Rodon is healthy and needed.

Does anyone know for sure when the cut-off is?

The Super Two deadline is a moving target -- you have to be among the top x% of rookies in service to reach it. Usually if you wait until mid-June, you're safe.

But this is something different, it's just avoiding free agency. To become a free agent, a player has to end the season with six year of service time and not to have agreed to additional contract terms for the future.

Here's an article that explains in detail: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-myth-of...f-team-control/

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
The Super Two deadline is a moving target -- you have to be among the top x% of rookies in service to reach it. Usually if you wait until mid-June, you're safe.

But this is something different, it's just avoiding free agency. To become a free agent, a player has to end the season with six year of service time and not to have agreed to additional contract terms for the future.

Here's an article that explains in detail: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-myth-of...f-team-control/

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. In that case, I fully expect Rodon to be up in the rotation by June, unless Danks and Noesi are pitching very well.