2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
I guess I don't know how Pro Bowl works anymore, isn't Smith in AFC?

I thought they changed it a couple years ago so conference affiliations no longer mattered. Could be wrong though, I haven't cared about the Pro Bowl since I was in middle school

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
670 The Score ‏@670TheScore 9m9 minutes ago

Report: Mike McCarthy frustrated by Packers' unwillingness to add via free agency http://cbsloc.al/1njOsHr

He should be. Free agency is generally overused and average players get way over paid by usually bad teams. That being said, Thompson has become almost fanatical in his anti-free agent stance. Signing one or two players every year isn't going to ruin your team. Especially if they are just mid level veterans.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
He should be. Free agency is generally overused and average players get way over paid by usually bad teams. That being said, Thompson has become almost fanatical in his anti-free agent stance. Signing one or two players every year isn't going to ruin your team. Especially if they are just mid level veterans.

Julius Peppers was a pretty big signing for them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Julius Peppers was a pretty big signing for them.

So was Charles Woodson.

They've actually done a pretty good job when they actually decide to sign free agents. It's just far and few between.

I can almost name every free agent that Thompson has signed without having to look it up.

Interesting, Groh, who was rumored for the QB coach job, didn't get it, and is now leaving Bears for Rams. I find it most surprising since Fisher is kind of on the hot seat. Groh gets a mini promotion though (to pass coordinator) which helps him. He's a loss though, I thought he was a pretty good wide receiver coach. That said, hopefully Fox can find someone good to replace him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
Anyone else find it interesting that the Bears are meeting with a lot of WRs? They met with Braxton Miller today.

If they let Alshon walk, I'm gonna go crazy.

They won't let him walk, that is moronic. I think they want to make sure they have depth and never have to go out there with Bellamy, Mariani and Meredith ever again

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
They won't let him walk, that is moronic. I think they want to make sure they have depth and never have to go out there with Bellamy, Mariani and Meredith ever again

Bellamy and Mariani can eat a shoe, but I have a soft spot for Meredith. I'd be fine with him being the last receiver.

But I agree with your point. WR depth is a good thing, and we need it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)

I agree that it would be moronic. Mariani was at least average as a WR when given PT. I don't like him either but he outperformed the other two.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 07:45 PM)
Bellamy and Mariani can eat a shoe, but I have a soft spot for Meredith. I'd be fine with him being the last receiver.

I don't see how Meredith makes the team. Did he play ST? I don't think he did, Bellamy was at least a decent gunner

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)

I agree with Kyle. There is zero chance Jeffrey is allowed to walk. Maybe they don't go long term with him, but he's getting franchised this year and if after that, they don't want him, they'll either trade him than (after franchising him a 2nd time) or franchise him again and than let him walk. Either way, he'll be a Bear this next year. Outside of an absurd offer, it doesn't make sense to do anything else.

In terms of Mariani, he was the best 3rd down receiver I've seen the Bears have in years (i.e., non #1 / #2 wideout who just could be in the right spot and make catches). I see no reason to get rid of him. He was money and if the receivers in front of him are upgraded, it makes him a nice valuable weapon that will be a tough defend (a 3rd or 4th CB might have trouble...Mariani seemed to have that knack to get open on short routes leveraging quick cuts).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
So was Charles Woodson.

They've actually done a pretty good job when they actually decide to sign free agents. It's just far and few between.

I can almost name every free agent that Thompson has signed without having to look it up.

They don't count Peppers as a true free agent. Of course the Packers got really good when they signed Reggie White as the type of free agent they don't like to sign anymore.