2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
Eh, don't care, I don't like Kessler, not in the 1st round. I'd be okay if he was on the Bears this year cause at least you have an unknown with some talent but I like Connor Cook. He's my favorite of the prospects, although a lot can change during the year.

I have little faith in USC QB's anyway. System they run is extremely QB friendly. Guy who is awesome is Rosen out of UCLA but moot point. Whose to say Cardale Jones doesn't make strides and move himself back up draft boards.

FWIW I should have pointed out that I'm talking about Kessler in the 2R. This team needs an impact player on defense, that's what I want them to get in the 1R.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
FWIW I should have pointed out that I'm talking about Kessler in the 2R. This team needs an impact player on defense, that's what I want them to get in the 1R.

I will throwup if we use a top 2 or 3 pick on anything but QB. Anything other then that is a failure in my eyes. If we aren't taking QB, we need to move down.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
I will throwup if we use a top 2 or 3 pick on anything but QB. Anything other then that is a failure in my eyes. If we aren't taking QB, we need to move down.

If they choose not to take a QB with a top two or three pick Pace will loose pretty much all his credibility with me.

That quickly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Would be shocked if Cook and Goff aren't top 10-15 picks. In fact, I'd be surprised if one of them isn't a #1 overall pick. This is a QB driven league and both of them have a lot of tools. Still a lot to prove but I think because they don't play for the typical powerhouses they get less credit. I also am a fan of Big 10 Qb's in pro-style offenses so I have that bias towards Cook. Goff is doing a lot with a pretty crappy team around him.

Again, I really like Cook. He is used to the cold, he is used to a physical conference / play, he plays in a pro offense, has a quick release, and is supposed to be very smart. He also is a winner who has a ton of big game experience (so we've gotten to see the type of "poise" he has and how he handles pressure). All important attributes in a QB, imo. Of all positions in sports, it is QB where smarts become so damn important, in fact, they can overcome physical limitations. Rodgers is insane, but some of the other best are not amazing athletes (neither Manning / Brady / Brees would ever be on the list of biggest arms, fastest QB's, etc).

Goff is a volume passer, throwing more than 500 times a season. His stats are great but his overall physical tools dont wow me. Cook plays in a much worse offensive system on a defensively driven team. He's been my top QB since before last season, especially when people were slurping Hack for some reason. I still do not think either one is worth a top 15 pick. I disagree that MSU isnt a power house though. They have been historically and recently. MSU has multiple national titles, thats upper tier stuff.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)

Hes probably the 3rd best QB in the conference. Thats not 2nd round stuff.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
Something Mully brought up on the radio....Does Cook have an attitude problem? Why is he not a captain on that team? Aren't quarterback's pretty much always named a captain on their teams?

Havent heard any rumblings about that. Ohio state's starting QB hasnt been a captain 2 years in a row, so it happens.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
Goff is a volume passer, throwing more than 500 times a season. His stats are great but his overall physical tools dont wow me. Cook plays in a much worse offensive system on a defensively driven team. He's been my top QB since before last season, especially when people were slurping Hack for some reason. I still do not think either one is worth a top 15 pick. I disagree that MSU isnt a power house though. They have been historically and recently. MSU has multiple national titles, thats upper tier stuff.

I agree on what you say above, but I do think when it comes to QB's a team will take Goff in the 1st round. Doesn't matter cause i like Cook better and can buy into your historical on MSU but it is relatively recent (grand scheme) that they have gotten back to an elite level. 1966 was last time they won a national championship and it really wasn't until recently that they re-emerged as potential contender. However, to your point, built on defense with a solid offense. Really they are built more like an NFL team then a college team. Cook has gotten better every year. He's getting better and better at reading defenses, improving his footwork, etc. On top of that he has the tools. You look at everything and I think thats a guy who I can project to continue to improve his game at the pro level because their isn't an elite QB today in the NFL who was even close to being the player they were in college.

Rodgers is way better...Brady way better...Manning way better. They all took advantage of all the ability to practice, use film, not have to go to school and really hone their craft. Yes you need the tools...but it is the other stuff (along with the mental capacity / smarts) to be able to be one of the best in the league. I think Cook is kind of like Matt Ryan and to be frank, I'm okay with that. You think in retrospect, St. Louis and Miami don't regret taking the Longs over Matt Ryan? I can't think of many examples where a team who picked near the top of the draft and had a need at QB, that went in a different direction, had it work out in their favor. Yes, a lot of teams that take QB will end up having to do it again (due to bust) but going the other direction and ignoring QB when it is a problem seems odd.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Hes probably the 3rd best QB in the conference. Thats not 2nd round stuff.

Well, one of those guys is the #1 pick if he were eligible this year and the other is #2 or #3 on Mels' big board, so not necessarily a bad thing to be ranked 3rd in comparison to those other guys.

This is where Goff is ranked so far this season.

Per @PFF, Jared Goff is:

#1 QB Rating

#2 Accuracy %

#1 Deep Passing

#5 Under Pressure

#1 Play Action

#119/130 on time given in the pocket (meaning he's doing ^ those things with a complete train wreck of an offensive line)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
@AaronLemingNFL: Was told last night that the hope is still to extend Jeffery & at worst tag him. Doubt he goes anywhere. #Bears https://t.co/hkmyl2i60r

Common sense would say that is the plan. You don't rebuild in the NFL by trading your young / talented players. Moving Alshon made zero sense to me. You wouldn't get equivalent value. Now moving someone who is going to be gone at the year, okay, that I can get on board with.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)

I will throw up if they use a top 3 pick on a QB that is not worth a top 3 pick. If Goff/Kessler//Cook don't project to be top Qbs in the NFL I will be really pissed if the Bears don't take BPA(unless they can trade down, which isn't really guaranteed anymore after the RG3 fleecing)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
I agree on what you say above, but I do think when it comes to QB's a team will take Goff in the 1st round. Doesn't matter cause i like Cook better and can buy into your historical on MSU but it is relatively recent (grand scheme) that they have gotten back to an elite level. 1966 was last time they won a national championship and it really wasn't until recently that they re-emerged as potential contender.

To be fair, 1948 was the last time Michigan won a national title so they are at least at that level.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
I will throw up if they use a top 3 pick on a QB that is not worth a top 3 pick. If Goff/Kessler//Cook don't project to be top Qbs in the NFL I will be really pissed if the Bears don't take BPA(unless they can trade down, which isn't really guaranteed anymore after the RG3 fleecing)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 08:21 PM)
My main concern with Fox was how unnecessarily conservative/wrong his play-calling can be in situations like that. He's not doing anything to change my mind.

Eh, I'm not gonna hold that against him. Clausen f***ing sucks and Fox knows it. He wasn't about to put 20 points on the board if they converted that 4th down

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)

I think you have to take a QB with the top pick. That's the only position that matters. Take a top guy, give him 2-3 years, if he doesn't pan out, on to the next one. JJ Watt, Julio Jones, Joe Thomas, all those elite top players at other positions can barely sniff team success. Top QBs get you in the playoffs year in and year out.

That being said, I'd take a chance on Kessler.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 05:39 PM)
Not Von Miller?

Kinda doubt he hits FA, but man would it be fun. I'd jazz in my pants if they somehow sold he and one of the top corners to come here.

How nice would it be to have Miller and McPhee coming of the edge, add Bosa/Nkemdiche to the line, and grab a shut down corner?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 09:13 PM)
I think you have to take a QB with the top pick. That's the only position that matters. Take a top guy, give him 2-3 years, if he doesn't pan out, on to the next one. JJ Watt, Julio Jones, Joe Thomas, all those elite top players at other positions can barely sniff team success. Top QBs get you in the playoffs year in and year out.

That being said, I'd take a chance on Kessler.

Elite lineman tend to be very valuable. If you could pick JJ Watt you would take it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
None of those QB's should be taken in the first round, especially not ones who are in a pass-happy system. I haven't seen any of them approaching the level of a surefire first round pick. Cook is probably tops for me, mostly because he runs a s***ty offensive system very well.

I think the Bears will be picking top 5. At this point, it seems like Jared Goff is the only one that you could consider that high. If they pick 5, they are guaranteed to get a good player. Joey Bosa, ND LB Jaylon Smith, OLE Miss DL Robert Nkemdiche, ND LT Ronnie Stanley and Ole Miss OT Laremy Tunsil.

Connor Cook reminds me of Andy Dalton. Cardale Jones has tons of upside. Matt Miller of Bleacher Report has 5 GM's that have said that Hackenberg is still a 1st round guy. As soon as Hack starts working out for teams, his stock will rise again. I really like Carson Wentz of ND State and I think he'd be a household name at a bigger school. Cody Kessler is probably an NFL backup according to most media draft types. It should be very interesting but unless they love Goff for some reason, I wouldn't expect a 1st round QB for the Bears unless they move up into the back half of the round.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)
I think the Bears will be picking top 5. At this point, it seems like Jared Goff is the only one that you could consider that high. If they pick 5, they are guaranteed to get a good player. Joey Bosa, ND LB Jaylon Smith, OLE Miss DL Robert Nkemdiche, ND LT Ronnie Stanley and Ole Miss OT Laremy Tunsil.

Connor Cook reminds me of Andy Dalton. Cardale Jones has tons of upside. Matt Miller of Bleacher Report has 5 GM's that have said that Hackenberg is still a 1st round guy. As soon as Hack starts working out for teams, his stock will rise again. I really like Carson Wentz of ND State and I think he'd be a household name at a bigger school. Cody Kessler is probably an NFL backup according to most media draft types. It should be very interesting but unless they love Goff for some reason, I wouldn't expect a 1st round QB for the Bears unless they move up into the back half of the round.

I agree with most of what you said except for Cardale Jones. He cannot read a defense.