2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
The most annoying thing about this to me is how beat reporters, not really having access to much beyond the accusations, build tons of stories about his redemption.

How soon after he was signed did we get 15-20 "McDonald says he's a good guy and people don't know the whole story" articles? How many stories with Fangio praising him?

I hate these stories. If you wonder why people are harder on teams signing these guys, it's because right after signing the disgusting sports PR machine goes into overdrive where we are forced to believe that their football play makes them better people, and their teammates love them so they can't be bad. And sports as redemption. The kind of treatment that the victims do not enjoy.

Now the same beat writers are talking about how terrible Mcdonald is.

I haven't really seen any of the beat reports talk about how terrible he is. Its all "Bears gambled and lost" which is what happened. They gave him a non gaurenteef contract and told him to stay out ta trouble or he's gone. He didn't, and he is.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
I haven't really seen any of the beat reports talk about how terrible he is. Its all "Bears gambled and lost" which is what happened. They gave him a non gaurenteef contract and told him to stay out ta trouble or he's gone. He didn't, and he is.

Brad Biggs termed it an unnecessary risk.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2015 -> 07:19 PM)
If the Bears were a player or so from being a Super Bowl contender, I might agree, but this embarassment will have ramifications for years to come. I think guys with sketchy backgrounds are goimg to have a hard time getting approved by George.

Plus domestic violence, and sexual assault ia a little more serious than other things you give guys second chances.

Jesus, that's a hot take.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)

Yes, good point. These people are so lost in the sports of it all, they can't get out of that mold and report in any way on the humanity of the situation.

This is why everything from missing a practice to sexual assault is thrown in the "off the field issues" bucket.

The Bears look incredibly dumb with this signing, but I doubt it has any long term ramifications.

George McCaskey really looks like an idiot. With all that "I talked to his parents and they said he was a nice boy" crap.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
The Bears look incredibly dumb with this signing, but I doubt it has any long term ramifications.

George McCaskey really looks like an idiot. With all that "I talked to his parents and they said he was a nice boy" crap.

And they would have looked brilliant if he would have stayed out of trouble and played like he's capabale of playing.

You can't predict these things.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
And they would have looked brilliant if he would have stayed out of trouble and played like he's capabale of playing.

You can't predict these things.

It's kinda someone's job to make sure you can predict those things.

Well it's a GM's job to make sure he is looking out for the best of the organization, but the fact is they signed him to a non-guaranteed contract and let him go as soon as he got in trouble again. While I agree that the initial character statements by the organization were stupid, this was absolutely a solid football move (low risk, high reward).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Jesus, that's a hot take.

Think about it. If and when the Bears are good enough, and one of these jokers who could help them wants and needs a second chance, there is no way. I wrote that before I read the Biggs article and I agree totally with him. This signing was stupid. It was a big PR risk, there is one writer that is calling for the Bears to be fined and give up draft picks for signing him, but Biggs said the team isn't ready to win, McDonald while a good player, isn't Pro Bowl quality, and he is getting a little long in the tooth. Doesn't seem like the time or the guy to take your shot with.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
I asked you this previously...How?

Do you think they did their due diligence in checking up on the guy's past actions and talking to his co-workers, coaches, etc.? Because the rapid downfall within about 2 months suggests to me that they did an unacceptable job of it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
Well it's a GM's job to make sure he is looking out for the best of the organization, but the fact is they signed him to a non-guaranteed contract and let him go as soon as he got in trouble again. While I agree that the initial character statements by the organization were stupid, this was absolutely a solid football move (low risk, high reward).

Low financial risk. They all look like fools right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
It's kinda someone's job to make sure you can predict those things.

No, it's kind of someone's job to protect yourself from something like this, not predict it. The NFL is littered with bad guys, in every locker room, you cannot insulate yourself from all of them. They gave this guy a nice non guaranteed chance and he blew it immediately. It's egg on the face for sure, but there isn't any long term ramifications here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
Low financial risk. They all look like fools right now.

Is financial risk the only one here? Is there a PR risk issue?

They also have a potential fine of $150k from the NFL front office for now having signed 2 people with law-enforcement issues, that fine could increase if anyone else gets into trouble.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)

They also have a potential fine of $150k from the NFL front office for now having signed 2 people with law-enforcement issues, that fine could increase if anyone else gets into trouble.

Omg, 150k. Whatever are they going to do?

I agree the PR is a huge part of this. And everyone seems to be ignoring that yes there are bad guys in every locker room, and some day, when the Bears actually have a shot of winning something, one of these guys will be available to help them, and the answer from George McCaskey will be undoubtedly be no.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Think about it. If and when the Bears are good enough, and one of these jokers who could help them wants and needs a second chance, there is no way. I wrote that before I read the Biggs article and I agree totally with him. This signing was stupid. It was a big PR risk, there is one writer that is calling for the Bears to be fined and give up draft picks for signing him, but Biggs said the team isn't ready to win, McDonald while a good player, isn't Pro Bowl quality, and he is getting a little long in the tooth. Doesn't seem like the time or the guy to take your shot with.

Fined and give up draft picks LMAO.

This is a guy who was still employed after his first arrest, and his 2nd arrest sounds like a ridiculous cash grab on the females part (If you think you were raped, why on earth would you spend the whole day after with the guy?).

I'm not saying this guy is a saint or trying to defend him, I'm defending the move itself.

I just don't know what you can do to predict something like this would happen...but just in case the Bears covered their ass by giving him an unguaranteed contract.

Eh. Only so much. The Bears are like the Cubs when it comes to fan base. They might complain, but they will still sell out and draw huge TV ratings.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)

Why? What does the Bears offering this guy a second chance and then cutting him when he gets arrested again have anything to do with a player in the future?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
No, it's kind of someone's job to protect yourself from something like this, not predict it. The NFL is littered with bad guys, in every locker room, you cannot insulate yourself from all of them. They gave this guy a nice non guaranteed chance and he blew it immediately. It's egg on the face for sure, but there isn't any long term ramifications here.

Predicting it is also a part of it. There is a reason the 49ers cut him. If they didn't think he would be any more trouble, he probably still is with them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
I agree the PR is a huge part of this. And everyone seems to be ignoring that yes there are bad guys in every locker room, and some day, when the Bears actually have a shot of winning something, one of these guys will be available to help them, and the answer from George McCaskey will be undoubtedly be no.

I don't think the answer will be no. The Bears have taken many chances on sketchy characters over the past 10-15 years

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
Why? What does the Bears offering this guy a second chance and then cutting him when he gets arrested again have anything to do with a player in the future?

Because they got burned. If you really think George McCaskey will approve a similar case in the future, I totally disagree, and good for him. I think teams can still win wife beater-free.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
Omg, 150k. Whatever are they going to do?

A freaking parking ticket.

And a PR problem? For what? Giving the guy a second chance? What's the alternative here? The NFL/teams stop signing guys with any sort of criminal past? Then the same people will b**** that the NFL is too exclusionary and/or racist.

Leave it to the American people to make a controversy and/or b**** and whine about anything and everything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
Do you think they did their due diligence in checking up on the guy's past actions and talking to his co-workers, coaches, etc.? Because the rapid downfall within about 2 months suggests to me that they did an unacceptable job of it.

Considering we have a few of his former coaches on this staff, and his d coordinator the last 4 years was the one calling for it I'd have to say yes, they at least talked to a few of his coaches.